PDA

View Full Version : Need help with multi-camera switching on a budget.

domineaux
06-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Multi-camera switching on a budget

I've got several cameras, including c920 webcams.
Basically, I want to switch between the webcams for two or three views of the SAME actor during the production.
If all the cameras could be running simultaneously and recording that would be terrific, if each recorded separate.
All I am basically trying to do is switch views during the video to keep viewer interest.
It would be fine, if the view changes were scheduled.
Just enough variation to keep from having the same view all the time.

There may be an apple or android app that works with smartphones or pads I've not found.
Maybe, someone knows a workaround. If it works for what I mentioned, that would be fine.
I do have android and apple ipads (1 of each), one iphone, a pc desktop,a pc laptop.

I would appreciate to read suggestions.
Wirecast, Vmix or Vidblaster, are too expensive from what I have learned.

I found and downloaded a software called manycam. I'm going to check out the free version.
Interesting, but I have found several software that are supposed to do multi-camera that are free or reasonable priced. I'm still interested to read from members on the forums.

MovieBuff
06-10-2014, 03:47 PM
This might be an option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9UlToV1No

What is the difference between RecoLive MultiCam and RecoLive Switcher?
These two apps have lot of features in common. However their main goal is different:

RecoLive MultiCam is for HD recording.
RecoLive Switcher is for live streaming.

http://recolive.com/en/

domineaux
06-10-2014, 04:53 PM
I am using c920 usb cameras that interface with laptop or desktop. I do have one iphone and one ipad only.

Thank you for the response

MovieBuff
06-10-2014, 07:17 PM
In that case, one option that is free is, OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).
https://obsproject.com/

andrewzarian
06-11-2014, 06:48 AM
I recommend looking into Wirecast and vMix.. I dont recommend Vidblaster.

domineaux
06-11-2014, 08:04 AM
I recommend looking into Wirecast and vMix.. I dont recommend Vidblaster.

I really like the rocolive thing. It doesn't look like a solution for using usb webcams.
Sure don't want to ignore recolive, they could be working on some exciting things.
Using all those iphones and the rotating gizmo can still add up to a pretty expensive package.
Naturally, I am not thinking of iphone videos as being comparable to c920 webcams.
The ability to deliver good content is not adequate. Video podcasting is going to require HD quality and very soon 1080 will be the standard, especially from what I understand about 4K.

I contacted vmix.com.au and got a link to a 60 day fully operational trial version.
Actually, I was amazed at how full featured the Vmix is becoming.
The price isn't that bad either. They have a free and $59 version that may suit my needs.
I'm not sure if that means I can just buy upgrades to my starter version when I need them, but I suspect so.

I have the OBS, but I didn't realize it had the ability to switch cameras on the fly.
I've played with it some, and visited on the chat.
The chat is really busy and there is a alot of interest in OBS and helping people.

One application not mentioned above is manycam.com. I downloaded it and right off you can switch cameras on the fly. The pro version is $50 and has a bunch of toys as well. It doesn't have the appearance of a serious application. Youtube videos about the software are mostly about the effects, which detracts from it being a serious application. Still...I'm going to give it a good go as well.

I was playing with the manycam using a c920 webcam and a Sony Handycam into a Blackmagic intensity pro card. The manycam was picking up on both cameras very well. IMO, it's not a workable combination. The quality of the Sony camera with the BM capture card is so much higher than the c920 it just doesn't view well when you switch between cameras. Also I noticed some audio lag, which is not acceptable. This may be fixable I've not had time to work with it.

There are some ways to advance the quality of the c920. As I recall, it voids the warranty. I don't know if a warranty on a 75$ item is really that valuable.

Sorry, I do run on abit about things when I am in problem solving mode.

Thanks for the responses, they really do help.

MovieBuff
06-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Sorry, I do run on abit about things when I am in problem solving mode.

Don't worry, we have all been there numerous times. If anyone writes anything negative, just ignore them. Let us know what the final setup is. :)