PDA

View Full Version : Learn how to podcast

jamesdelfresco
05-26-2014, 05:20 PM
When I started Podcasting back in 2006 there really wasn't too many resources for podcasting. There was a bunch of misinformation regarding hardware and doing things the right way. Resources like the IAIB Podcasting Forum and Google communities have made it really easy for people to get real time answers to their questions.

So that got me thinking. How do you learn how to podcast? The rights and wrongs? Was it trial and error or did you have some sort of community you went to for help

MovieBuff
05-26-2014, 07:03 PM
These forums have been incredible. Sharing knowledge is great. A lot of people learn through trial and error, it's an expensive way of learning, but well worth it

Dan Ortego
05-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Well, this is sort of on topic so here it goes. While I'm still in the pre-production phase, I can say that I stumbled on it purely by accident. It all started when I was working on the Apple Mavericks beta team and learning the new system navigation software. I ended up purchasing the full-version software from Dragon Systems and that's how I became interested in podcasting.

First, I needed a decent microphone and the one that came bundled with the software is still stuck in my office somewhere. I then purchased a Blue microphone that didn't last but one hour followed by an Apogee condenser mic that was simply too bright. That started my pursuit for a better microphone, so the PR40 came next, followed by the RE20. My son is a musician so he provided some equipment advice from his side of the business as well.

Before I knew it I stumbled across the IAIB website in order to read opinions on other microphones and a slew of content. As my interests grew, so did my quest for more knowledge and now I'm hooked.

andrewzarian
05-27-2014, 04:19 PM
From what I remember when I started to "podcast" there were two forums out there. podcastalley.com and Podcastpickle.com. There was a lot of misinformation out there. Like that the Blue Snowball is a good microphone :)