PDA

View Full Version : All mixed up!

Dan Ortego
05-11-2014, 10:59 AM
I’m still looking for a suitable mixer for my needs and desires and thus far I’m at a loss. Specifically, I want a rack-mounted unit that I can integrate into my enclosed rack that's free from the dust that’s so prevalent with living in the desert. If anyone knows of a workable mixer solution I would appreciate your input. Now, I like saving money just like the next guy but in this case I'm willing to get what I want so cost is sorta secondary on my list.

MovieBuff
05-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Behringer seems to be looking for ideas/feedback from us. Check it out (link below). I am still wondering if the Behringer X18 does multi-track recording (have access to every track individually for post work.).

https://www.facebook.com/BEHRINGER/posts/10152398969943914

Dan Ortego
05-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi MovieBuff,
I went ahead and added my $.02 to their Facebook page so who knows. I took a look at that mixer and a looks pretty nice for what it is.

MovieBuff
05-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Good stuff. Let me know when you find the right mixer. :)

mcphillips
05-12-2014, 04:04 AM
Many mixers can be rack mounted, including the Presonus StudioLive series. What specs do you need? I would be inclined to take a look at the Behringer X32 series, but there are mixed reviews, just like you'll find with any mixer.

My big problem with Behringer is that it can be difficult to connect with the company for assistance. Sometimes their telephone number goes unanswered. Direct numbers to individuals go unanswered. No one returns phone calls. If Mackie added a USB output to their VLZ series, I'd probably recommend them over Behringer, even though they're more expensive. You can get a real live person at Mackie on the phone in short order.

Dan Ortego
05-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Hello guys,
Thanks for the input so far. I took a look at the Behringer (thanks Mike) and that may be the better solution based on the Aux Sends & Aux Returns. Also, it mounts in the rack in the manner I expected. I agree, the reviews are mixed and the support seems flaky at best.

I also looked at the Alesis-12 & Alesis-10 (wireless). I found more positive reviews on the Alesis than the Behringer over on Sweetwater and though it's a bit more $ I can live with it. Looks almost identical in terms of layout. I would appreciate any opinions between these three candidates.

With regard to my requirements I simply want to get started and be able to Skype in at least one caller at a time. I already have the mic pre-, microphone, and rack covered, so this seems like the next logical step before selecting an ADC interface.

http://www.alesis.com/multimix12r
http://www.alesis.com/multimix-10-wireless

Dan Ortego
05-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Good stuff. Let me know when you find the right mixer. :)

Well, the 'right mixer' would be the one Andrew has or similar but that's a bit rich for my blood. Besides, I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it so I'm trying to walk a little softer than I have been. I definitely have champagne taste on a beer budget. Either way it's fun and I like the folks here on the forum so who knows.

andrewzarian
05-13-2014, 06:02 AM
hahah the Axia Radius is a great console :)

mcphillips
05-14-2014, 05:29 AM
Lots of people really like their Alesis mixers. The one time that I contacted the company, they were very responsive. That's not true about Behringer. That being said, I'm more inclined to buy a Behringer mixer because it does exactly what most podcasters want it to do. If you decide to get an Alesis, make sure that your aux sends are configurable as post-fader. You can use pre-fader sends, but they're a pain.

The quality and sound of the Alesis and the Behringer are comparable. Either will sound the same over a podcast or Internet broadcast. You can read all of the frequency response graphs and technical specs you want, but most of them are meaningless in this environment.

Dan Ortego
05-14-2014, 05:49 AM
Hello Mike
Okay, I went ahead and hit the mouse key and ordered the infamous Behringer mixer. Although it defies my usual passion for the fancier and more expensive variant, I decided to be practical for once. Besides, I know I can count on you for help if I get my wires crossed.

By the way, do you have a recommendation for a (DI) insert to my Mac? Yeah I know, but for now my aging Mac Pro will have to do. I'm building a Windows PC but that's going to take a while.

mcphillips
05-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Are you asking about a sound card? Mac people tend to like the Griffin iMic. Since you're getting a Behringer mixer, don't get the UCA202. Macs get confused. If your Mac Pro has an audio line input, you can use the Behringer USB audio codec output for the main audio to computer, and you can use an aux out to the Mac Pro line input for mix minus.

If that's not your question, let me know.

Dan Ortego
05-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Mike,
Looks like we miss-read each other since I was referring to the rack-mounted mixer options mentioned above. When you posted your reference to the Barringer over the Alesis I wrongly assumed you were recommending the Behringer RX1202FX. This is the one I would like to connect to my MacPro.

MovieBuff
05-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Hello Mike
Okay, I went ahead and hit the mouse key and ordered the infamous Behringer mixer. Although it defies my usual passion for the fancier and more expensive variant, I decided to be practical for once. Besides, I know I can count on you for help if I get my wires crossed.

By the way, do you have a recommendation for a (DI) insert to my Mac? Yeah I know, but for now my aging Mac Pro will have to do. I'm building a Windows PC but that's going to take a while.

Which Behringer mixer?

Dan Ortego
05-14-2014, 10:37 AM
This was the one I was considering but without a USB interface I guess it's more of a hassle than it's worth: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/RX1202FX.aspx
The backside of it looks very similar to that of the Alesis rigs in post #6 which I also like.

Anyway, I just went ahead and followed Mike's blog recommendation and ordered the 'Behringer XENYX X1204USB 12-Channel Mixer'. Seems like it's hard to go wrong with this one, especially at this price.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-XENYX-X1204USB-12-Channel-Mixer/dp/B0039PPW60/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1400103562&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=XENYX+X1204USB

Dan Ortego
05-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Are you asking about a sound card? Mac people tend to like the Griffin iMic. Since you're getting a Behringer mixer, don't get the UCA202. Macs get confused. If your Mac Pro has an audio line input, you can use the Behringer USB audio codec output for the main audio to computer, and you can use an aux out to the Mac Pro line input for mix minus.

If that's not your question, let me know.

Thanks Mike, that covers it quite well. Actually, it was me they got my wires crossed but now I got it. The mixer arrives sometime today so I should be up and running in no time.

Dan Ortego
05-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Well, I finally received the Behringer X1204USB mixer and after about a 15-minute set-up tutorial with Mike Phillips, it's working perfectly! The YouTube videos on how to set-up the whole mix/minus thing' etc. are helpful, but nothing beats a virtual hands-on Skype assisted tutorial by a Sound Engineer.

While this may be the end to this thread, I would still like to say publicly, thanks to Mike Phillips for providing an invaluable service to fellow forum members.

AlBurr
05-19-2014, 04:09 PM
I love it when people work together as a community...what a great group!!

mcphillips
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm glad I was able to help. Be sure to let us know when you start publishing your podcast.

docizzen
05-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Mike is the man... of that there is no doubt. Also, congrats Dan, can't wait to hear your podcast and AlBlurr... 'sup? Have you started recording with that bad assed mixer yet? Want to hear ur stuff dude.