PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 battery life issue

andrewzarian
05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
So my wife is experiencing a major issue with her iPhone 5. The thing wont hold a charge. As soon she leaves the house the battery will drain. in about 3-5 hours it will be around 50% with no usage at all. I have tried to do a a reinstall/restore but its still doing it. she has replaced the phone twice already

So here is my question. I have been restoring from a pervious backup. Do you think its worth just totally wiping everything and starting over?

MovieBuff
05-07-2014, 01:39 PM
So my wife is experiencing a major issue with her iPhone 5. The thing wont hold a charge. As soon she leaves the house the battery will drain. in about 3-5 hours it will be around 50% with no usage at all. I have tried to do a a reinstall/restore but its still doing it. she has replaced the phone twice already

So here is my question. I have been restoring from a pervious backup. Do you think its worth just totally wiping everything and starting over?

Apple's Latest iPhone Update May Improve Battery Life For iPhone 5 Owners (http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-7-1-1-battery-life-changes-for-iphone-5-2014-4#!KvR6K)

iPhone 5 battery life is way worse than iPhone 4 (https://discussions.apple.com/message/22148404#22148404)

mcphillips
05-08-2014, 03:41 AM
iPhone is made by Apple. All things Apple "just work". She's obviously doing something wrong.

rwildman
05-08-2014, 06:12 AM
One of the first questions I would ask would be, are there any applications that are running in the background?

While iOS is pretty good at managing background app use, there are some apps that don't play well. Particularly, Skype.

You've also mentioned that the phone has been replaced twice already. It may be that the battery in all cases might just be bad. Having the "Geniuses" check it again would be worth it. Even having the phone replaced again may be worth it.

I've used an iPhone since its introduction, in 2007, and have not experienced a problem like you mention.

andrewzarian
05-09-2014, 03:15 PM
One of the first questions I would ask would be, are there any applications that are running in the background?

While iOS is pretty good at managing background app use, there are some apps that don't play well. Particularly, Skype.

You've also mentioned that the phone has been replaced twice already. It may be that the battery in all cases might just be bad. Having the "Geniuses" check it again would be worth it. Even having the phone replaced again may be worth it.

I've used an iPhone since its introduction, in 2007, and have not experienced a problem like you mention.

Nope nothing is running. just drains the battery. This is the 3rd iPhone 5 (2 replacements)

andrewzarian
05-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Little update on this one :

I will be wiping everything and starting over. Im wondering if there is something in the backup recovery thats causing it to happen

Dan Ortego
05-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes, the iPhone 5s does not hold a charge as well as the previous model. I ended up wiping it clean and restored from iCloud. It seems to work a little better in terms of performance but the battery life is still iffy. It gets me through a day but that's about it. Just make sure you have Bluetooth off if you don't need it. Also, any use of GPS activity will certainly suck it dry in no time. I change-out my iPhones each year under the AT&T NEXT plan and this is a good reason why. Still, there's nothing else out there that has equal build quality so I just accepted 'as is'.

I'm not an Apple fan-boy but I do like their products after more than 30-years of use. Heck, I just configured a new Windows-7 PC so I'm definitely not a Kool-Aid drinker. That reminds me, I need to get a hold of Craig to make sure I have the right stuff ordered. Anyway, good luck.