PDA

View Full Version : Source-Connect Now: high-quality, bi-directional streaming in your Chrome web browser

MovieBuff
04-29-2014, 02:49 PM
https://now.source-elements.com/#!/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LwL0wfONI

MovieBuff
04-29-2014, 02:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zADtldVSnM&feature=share&t=1h53s

Go to 1:00:53

andrewzarian
04-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks for this post. Good video

mcphillips
04-30-2014, 07:02 AM
Is it possible to select an output device other than the default? That's a limitation that a lot of WebRTC implementations have.

andrewzarian
07-21-2014, 04:01 PM
has anyone else here used the service? I would love to hear some samples of what it sounds like.

rwildman
07-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Two things.
1. The site mentions the following, which I believe may be of interest to those wishing to try it:
Source-Connect Now is free
All accounts will be able to connect two people at broadcast-quality for free. For premium features, pricing will start out as low as $8 a month, with a middle tier around $24 a month. There is no need to purchase additional links: Guest accounts are always free.

2. I noticed that Mike was asking if one could change the device being used by WebRTC sites. If you are accessing the site using Chrome you can. You can change the device used by Chrome in its settings. Specifically, in the Advanced settings area that mentions Media.

Lastly, if anyone would like to test this, I would be willing to make a connection and test. I've already created an account at the site, thus, there would be no need for others to create one, unless they wished to. I would be willing to create link access for testing purposes. Fair warning though, I'm using a lowly DSL connection, though it hasn't been a problem in the past.

Rich

mcphillips
07-22-2014, 12:19 PM
You can change the device used by Chrome in its settings. Specifically, in the Advanced settings area that mentions Media.
I can't find that setting.

rwildman
07-22-2014, 12:27 PM
The same procedure using both Mac and Windows version...
After selecting Settings (hamburger icon at upper right of browser window), select 'Show advanced settings..." Next, scroll to the "Privacy" section and select the "Content Settings" button. After that, scroll to the section that is headed "Media." At this point you should be able to select a setting for the Microphone and Camera. You, also, have the option (radio buttons) to tell Chrome to either Ask to use them, or disallow their use altogether.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Donovan
07-22-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't think it will let you change the output from the Media settings in Chrome, only the Microphone and Camera. This is what I get -

rwildman
07-22-2014, 07:41 PM
I guess the question, from my perspective, would be, where would you like the output to go?

I guess, I simply don't understand the question. The output is the TCP/UDP connection to the other end of the WebRTC connection. Where would one like their conversation to go to, if not the other participant(s)?

Donovan
07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Sound output. An issue with WebRTC has been that you can't select which audio device you want the sound to output to. That's a big deal when you have multiple sound devices in the computer and you need to direct the WebRTC audio output to a specific device for mix-minus, etc.

rwildman
07-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Doing a bit of looking around, it seems that Google is aware is this issue and has it listed as a task for the dev team. The update I saw was dated Jun 14, 2014. I didn't look to see if any progress has been made other than that.

Though, I have multiple audio output devices on many different systems, I, also, have many different systems that are used in the production of the broadcasts I'm involved with. That being said, I do not share the same requirement. Hopefully, a solution for those that need it will be soon put in play.

mcphillips
07-23-2014, 05:44 AM
The Source Connect developer acknowledged that the inability to select an alternate sound output is a problem. Google Hangouts have that capability, but no WebRTC client that I've seen has it. If you can use the default Windows speaker output for WebRTC, there is not a problem. If you have two programs that rely on the default speaker output, there is a problem.