PDA

View Full Version : New Build - Portable PC mated to a monitor

TomSinclair
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm up for a new PC build and am thinking about a small footprint (mini itx or so) that I can mount on the back of a 20" monitor. Thinking of a i7-2600+ based system. This might be the solution to the need for a portable, yet powerful PC with multi camera inputs.

Anybody done this? Most of the smaller itx cases appear too small for me to use a PCIe card (thinking of an Osprey 460e). Or maybe there's a way to bend the card so that it is parallel to the mb. I've seen those right-angle PCIe adapters. Also worried about heat.

Am I completely nuts?

Love to hear your thoughts.

andrewzarian
04-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey Tom,

There are a few options. I recently came across the all in one computer recently. You might be interested in a company called Next Computing (http://www.nextcomputing.com/). They have a few options for anyone that is looking to get a mobile machine. http://www.nextcomputing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=51

Take workstation and server performance with you wherever you go — in the field, on the road, or at home — with NextComputing's line of high-performance "flextop" portable workstations.

Whether you're streaming HD graphics on-site at a championship game, testing aeronautics on-board a stealth fighter, reviewing diagnostic images at home, or demonstrating the powerful features of high-end software in a client's boardroom, our powerful and compact portable computers can handle any task you throw at them — with the convenience of grab-it-and-go mobility.

TomSinclair
04-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah. I saw Stephen Heywood's unboxing video on that PC. At $3500 it should make coffee, too.

I am way too cheap for that. I'm look for a portable SD sports box that can do a four cam shoot for under $1500. And mount on the back of a monitor. Is that too much to ask?

andrewzarian
04-29-2012, 01:39 PM
the only concern I would have is cooling. What type of video card would you be looking to use?

TomSinclair
04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
No video card. Using built in graphics. It will support two monitors.

andrewzarian
04-30-2012, 05:56 AM
It might be possible to get a PICE extender and create another box for your components. What specs will this computer be?

BradShoemaker
04-30-2012, 05:59 AM
I've recently been dealing with this very issue. Difference is, mine had to run webcams for the time being. I finally just gave up the search and went for a full where I had plenty of room for upgrades and cards. Unless you're willing to pay a premium, a system fast enough to run everything is just out range.

We're close to being there, but when it came time for us to buy, we decided we didn't want to take that chance and just went with something we knew would work. The closest thing to portable is the tower has a handle.

TomSinclair
05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
MB is i7-2600k 1155- based (one PCIe slot)
Capture card is Osprey 450e
RAM is 8 GB two sticks 1600
Thinking of using something like this...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PCI-E-16X-90-Angle-Extender-Protector-Riser-Card-1U-2U-/00/$(KGrHqZ,!i4E4q0VTNSWBOPlKIcHYg~~0_12.JPG

andrewzarian
05-01-2012, 05:08 PM
that might work. what case are you looking to use?

William Thomas
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Hey Tom,

Have you decided on what you are going to do about building a computer. I am thinking of the same thing. However i have never done one before. Do you or anyone know of a good tutorial on "how to build a super fast video streaming mofo"

Thanks

Bill