PDA

View Full Version : How to Setup a Mix Minus

MovieBuff
03-24-2014, 05:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au47Ferbxfc

mcphillips
03-24-2014, 07:27 PM
I would be interested in hearing whether this video helps you understand mix-minus. Ray always does a good job with his videos.

MovieBuff
03-24-2014, 10:56 PM
I would be interested in hearing whether this video helps you understand mix-minus. Ray always does a good job with his videos.

It's one of the best Mix-Minus videos so far.

AlBurr
03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I have read a number of articles regarding mix-minus and certainly have understood it in theory. However Mr. Ortega doing an actual demo of it, step by step, was extremely helpful. Thanks for posting this Moviebuff!!

MovieBuff
03-25-2014, 03:49 PM
My pleasure AlBurr.

Stevie G Success
04-03-2014, 06:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au47Ferbxfc

Yes, the video is excellent and the instruction could not be easier to follow. It is the best video I have seen on the subject, and I am pretty sure I have watched them all in an effort to set up my gear properly. Notwithstanding the step by step tutorial, I clearly am missing something as my Skype caller is not hearing anything from the mixer. I can hear the entire mix from the headphones but they hear nothing.

I am using a PC connected to a Mackie 1402VLZ.
Line out from PC to Mixer Channel 7/8
Aux send dial on Channel 7/8 turned all the way to the left
Aux 2 from Mixer into Mic input of PC
Tape out from Mixer into Zoom 4Hn

Using headphones on the Zoom 4Hn I can also hear the entire mix.

But my Skype caller cannot hear me. Where is the gremlin?

I appreciate your valuable time. Thanks!

mcphillips
04-03-2014, 06:21 AM
You have to turn UP the Aux Send 2 volume control for any audio that you want the Skype caller to hear, such as your microphone. If you're confused, put every Aux Send 2 at 11 o'clock EXCEPT Channel 7/8.

The easiest way to see what is being sent to Skype is to go to Tools | Options | Audio Settings and monitor the meter on the microphone input. If the meter is not moving when you talk in to the microphone, the Skype caller cannot hear you. If you see the meter move when the Skype caller is talking, your mix-minus is not set up correctly.

Stevie G Success
04-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Thank you for the prompt feedback, I will test it out. Thanks!

Dan Ortego
04-05-2014, 06:45 AM
The YT vid helped me to understand the concept, but Mike's added comments really helped quite a bit to tie it all together. In fact, I just bookmarked this thread for good measure. :cool:

mcphillips
04-05-2014, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking about doing a Google Hangout to talk about mix minus. If anyone is interested, IM me your email address so that I can notify you when it happens. I may do it this weekend.