PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Up Dead Links

ChaseShumway
03-20-2014, 05:50 PM
I've heard a few times that too many dead links on your website can negatively impact your site's SEO. So out of curiousity, I ran a plugin on my WordPress-based site that looks for bad links and I didn't do too bad. I had about 125 out of a total of over 2,000. And some of those were actually good when I checked them manually. In the six years I've been doing my show I've never checked any of my links which is why obviously, there were so many.

The plugin lets you edit or remove the links and continously scans your site and will even E-Mail you when new links go dead. For those on WordPress, you can check it out here (https://wordpress.org/plugins/broken-link-checker/).

This got me wondering, for those of you with show notes, do you keep up on your links and remove the dead ones?

PaulSaunders
03-21-2014, 12:05 PM
We don't really post links in our show notes to things we were discussing. I have however heard its actually better for SEO reasons. Is there any truth behind it?

ChaseShumway
03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
I think so. One SEO "expert" will tell you one thing and another will tell you something else. I try and take the few things all those types of sites agree on and implement those. Google expects your site to have some links obviously. One thing it doesn't like are too many affiliate links. If you have those, make sure you have the rel="nofollow" tag in the URL. I've heard for some time that dead links of any kind aren't good. Now that I've cleaned all of mine up, time will tell.

Spending too much time on SEO can drive a person mad. I don't spend a ton of time trying to figure it all out. Just the basics.

Dana
05-01-2015, 11:24 AM
White links are one of the FASTEST ways to increasing your ranking with all the major search engines.