PDA

View Full Version : Best way to protect our podcast - Get insurance?

Podnutter
03-13-2014, 07:49 AM
I was reading another thread here on the IAIB Forum and the Adam Carolla situation was being discussed. Spencer brought up an interesting point to how we can protect our self along with our podcast.

Here is what spencer said :
"First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)?"

Is this the way we can protect our butts? If we are serious podcasters (not doing it for hobby but doing it for a job) should we all be looking into insurance to protect us from patent trolls along with everything else that could go wrong?

Spencer Kobren
03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
I was reading another thread here on the IAIB Forum and the Adam Carolla situation was being discussed. Spencer brought up an interesting point to how we can protect our self along with our podcast.

Here is what spencer said :
"First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)?"

Is this the way we can protect our butts? If we are serious podcasters (not doing it for hobby but doing it for a job) should we all be looking into insurance to protect us from patent trolls along with everything else that could go wrong?

Being insured only protects you financially in case you need to hire counsel for a legal defense and potentially forced to pay a judgment(personal), it doesn’t change the fact that someone might have a legitimate case against you.

Just to be clear: I’m not and attorney nor do I play one on the internet. It’s always best to seek legal advice from a qualified professional.

mcphillips
03-13-2014, 10:54 AM
You could go to law school. That way, you don't have to pay a lawyer to represent you. You can do it yourself.

Spencer Kobren
03-13-2014, 11:26 AM
You could go to law school. That way, you don't have to pay a lawyer to represent you. You can do it yourself.

Sadly Mike, in my experience, even when you have to hire an attorney you end up doing all the work yourself...If you don't, you're in trouble. No offense, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case with you.:)

mcphillips
03-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Sadly Mike, in my experience, even when you have to hire an attorney you end up doing all the work yourself...If you don't, you're in trouble. No offense, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case with you.:)
Right, but at least you don't have to pay the lawyer to do the work you're going to do anyway.

Spencer Kobren
03-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Right, but at least you don't have to pay the lawyer to do the work you're going to do anyway.

Can I do it online?:)

mcphillips
03-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Can I do it online?:)
Joe de Max can make you a law license. He made himself one. I saw it.