PDA

View Full Version : The Best Ways To Earn Money In Podcasting

Spencer Kobren
03-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Ok, here's a question for everyone, not just the “experts’”…What are some of the most effective ways to earn from your podcast? All opinions and experiences welcomed.

RadarGaming
03-09-2014, 11:17 AM
I have been using Amazon affiliates for a few months now and have had great success with it.

Spencer Kobren
03-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I know one former radio guy who is killing with his Amazon Affiliate program. It's pretty impressive and way to earn that should not be overlooked! Thanks for the feedback!

MGadAllah
03-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Please may I know more information about how to let it work in such a way?

erictimmer
03-09-2014, 03:43 PM
An interesting model is how iMore.com monetizes via a store. I am pretty sure they don't run any ads on their podcasts, but if you look on there site they have a store. They do reviews of products and put a link to buy at the bottom of the article. The site says "THE #1 ACCESSORY STORE | 2 MILLION+ ORDERS SHIPPED" so I am guessing it does pretty well.

podcastcoach
03-09-2014, 03:43 PM
#1. Don't get into podcasting for money.

Selling your own product or service (like a book (http://www.morepodcastmoney.com)) will reap good rewards. I made $2000 last year with Amazon. Be careful and always direct people back to your site (no redirect links) to click on your amazon banner. I recently got banned for life from amazon for using the wrong type of link.

andrewzarian
03-09-2014, 04:38 PM
At GFQ We generate revenue by doing the traditional live read. It has been a model that has worked great for us. We have been using Podtrac as our Ad agency for a few years no.... It makes my life much easier knowing that they are doing the leg work. The downside is that you need a large audience for them to even consider your show.

We are also part of the amazon affiliate program. I suggest anyone starting out in podcasting to do the amazon affiliate program but be sure to read the terms of service

jamesdelfresco
03-09-2014, 04:45 PM
At GFQ We generate revenue by doing the traditional live read. It has been a model that has worked great for us. We have been using Podtrac as our Ad agency for a few years no.... It makes my life much easier knowing that they are doing the leg work. The downside is that you need a large audience for them to even consider your show.

We are also part of the amazon affiliate program. I suggest anyone starting out in podcasting to do the amazon affiliate program but be sure to read the terms of service

What are the requirements for Podtrac? How much money do they take from the ad that they find for you?

I have also been using Amazon for a while now. During the holidays you can make a pretty penny

andrewzarian
03-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Im not sure what it is currently but at one point they required 20k unique listeners/viewers a month

andrewzarian
03-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Dave Could you go into detail on what type of link it was? Did you try contacting them? What did they say?

mcphillips
03-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Dave Could you go into detail on what type of link it was? Did you try contacting them? What did they say?
Dave talks about his experience at Banned for Life: Amazon Associates One Strike Policy (http://schoolofpodcasting.com/banned-life-amazon-associates-one-strike-policy/).

andrewzarian
03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Its interesting. There is for sure a lot of grey.

oscarmartz
03-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Has anyone here had any success with local advertising?

mcphillips
03-12-2014, 04:27 PM
There are some podcasters who have been able to sell advertising to local sponsors but only for local events. Local sports events can be profitable. Tom Sinclair knows more about that.

MGadAllah
03-16-2014, 08:42 AM
may some one share an example?

andrewzarian
03-16-2014, 05:13 PM
I personally dont like taking money from local businesses that i use. I do however do trade agreements with them. A local establishment has been advertising on the Network for 4 years and in return they comp all our meals and provide us with recording space when we need it. Something like that is more valuable then money.

MyTakeRadio
03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
I personally dont like taking money from local businesses that i use. I do however do trade agreements with them. A local establishment has been advertising on the Network for 4 years and in return they comp all our meals and provide us with recording space when we need it. Something like that is more valuable then money. Sometimes its better to cultivate a local relationship then look for the $$. Andrew is on to something with regards to looking at mutually beneficial arrangements.

Jim Sinicropi
03-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Bartering is technically illegal according to US tax codes. Not saying to not pursue those arrangements but be careful in case of an audit.

Our network focuses on local content and thus we are entirely advertiser supported from local businesses. Local HS sports coverage has been the easiest sell. The majority of our weekly shows/podcasts are supported by anywhere from 1-5 "sponsors" each. We invoice monthly. Our network is An offshoot of our popular local news and informational website which is an advantage because we can package podcasts sponsorships with display advertising packages on the main site. Things are really picking up the past several months as people in our area are getting used to the type of content we produce. Our mobile app has also helped as it is the easiest way to get to our content on smartphones or in the car.

andrewzarian
03-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Jim I'm not sure about bartering but Trade Agreements are definitely not illegal. It is only "illegal if you don't inform the IRS.

Jim Sinicropi
03-20-2014, 11:07 PM
It is only "illegal if you don't inform the IRS.

Tru dat...

oscarmartz
05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
I just started playing around with the affiliate stuff. Im doing Godaddy and Audible. Two months ago I was able to generate a few 100 bucks for the month. Its not much but a great start.

I also plan on doing Amazon soon.