PDA

View Full Version : Adam Carolla Discusses the Patent Lawsuit with Marc Maron

Donovan
03-09-2014, 08:05 AM
In episode 476 of the WTF Podcast, Marc Maron interviews Adam Carolla about the latest in the patent troll lawsuit concerning podcasting. I clipped the segment out of the podcast.

Be warned, if you've never listened to the WTF Podcast, there is adult language.

https://soundcloud.com/donovan-adkisson/wtf-episode-476-adam-carolla

mcphillips
03-09-2014, 09:23 AM
It's an interesting discussion. I wonder if Carolla has approached John Lee Dumas about supporting the defense. Dumas has a vested interested in the outcome.

Donovan
03-09-2014, 10:19 AM
It's an interesting discussion. I wonder if Carolla has approached John Lee Dumas about supporting the defense. Dumas has a vested interested in the outcome.

I was thinking the same thing.

AndrewSeabrook
03-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Some interesting background here: http://anewdomain.net/2013/01/23/who-is-personal-audio-llc-sued-apple-now-after-adam-carolla-deep-dive/

Seems the gentleman behind the action was done for insider trading around 2004.

Donovan
03-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Here's another interesting segment that I snipped from the No Agenda Show Episode 598. Adam Curry has an interesting perspective on the entire thing. Without investigating further, I have to wonder if this entire thing hasn't been completely blown out of proportion much like what he's saying. Warning: Adult language

http://s3.amazonaws.com/amn_shows/misc/NA-598-2014-03-09-Patent-Segment.mp3

oscarmartz
03-12-2014, 02:53 PM
interesting thanks donovan for the info

Spencer Kobren
03-12-2014, 06:43 PM
First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)? That’s like independent broadcasting 101 stuff.

Oh and if it were me, I would have tried to get coverage by a company who offers technology errors and omissions insurance as part of the package, especially if you’re charging for a premium podcast or accepting advertising. This type of coverage should be sufficient for even the most frivolous are seemingly unrelated lawsuits.

I have no idea where this case will lead, but the fact that a guy in his position didn't cover his ass is ludicrous. This has to be a publicity stunt...at least in part. Just my two cents as a small business owner.

Let me know if you think I’m off base here...

oscarmartz
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Wow spencer thats such a good point. So do you think the fund raising he is doing for his legal fun is a big publicity stunt?

Donovan
03-13-2014, 03:24 AM
First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)? That’s like independent broadcasting 101 stuff..

I wonder how many podcasters/Internet broadcasters actually carry this type of insurance (I'm presuming, of course, that you or Andew do since you brought it up). I would suspect that a lot of podcasters don't, even those that I would consider large such as Adam and John of No Agenda. I wonder if someone like John Dumas carries such insurance?

<sarcasm>When I'm rolling in the millions from my broadcasting endeavors, I'll be sure to have this type of protection in place as well.</sarcasm>

Seriously, though, good points, Spencer. I've never thought of Internet broadcasters possibly needing insurance of this type.

andrewzarian
03-13-2014, 05:23 AM
I wonder how many podcasters/Internet broadcasters actually carry this type of insurance (I'm presuming, of course, that you or Andew do since you brought it up). I would suspect that a lot of podcasters don't, even those that I would consider large such as Adam and John of No Agenda. I wonder if someone like John Dumas carries such insurance?

<sarcasm>When I'm rolling in the millions from my broadcasting endeavors, I'll be sure to have this type of protection in place as well.</sarcasm>

Seriously, though, good points, Spencer. I've never thought of Internet broadcasters possibly needing insurance of this type.

If you are incorporated its a good idea to be insured.. I do not know of any company that doesn't have some sort of insurance to protect them.

Donovan
03-13-2014, 06:46 AM
If you are incorporated its a good idea to be insured.. I do not know of any company that doesn't have some sort of insurance to protect them.

I guess call me crazy. I'm an LLC and it never occurred to me to have any type of liability insurance to cover my online activities. Now I'm going to have to think about this. Learning new stuff all the time. :)

Spencer Kobren
03-13-2014, 08:58 AM

If I were a betting man, I would say that Adam Carolla probably used an attorney to set up his company and any attorney worth his salt would discuss the importance liability insurance right off the bat.

docizzen
03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
I donated.

mcphillips
03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
This has to be a publicity stunt...at least in part.
You do have to wonder. Then again, these hot shot podcasters are making SO much money, we are told, that they should just pay their own legal fees and move along. That's what big companies do.