PDA

View Full Version : NEW ROKU: Roku announces new HDMI Streaming Stick (April)

MovieBuff
03-05-2014, 09:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcxCt2ibeD4

In the battle for the living room, the launch of Google's Chromecast further fragmented the market with another new means of content delivery. A variety of alternatives have since been launched, including a new offering from Roku. The company says the HDMI Streaming Stick will provide more TV streaming options than any other device.

Like the Chromecast, the Streaming Stick is a small dongle that slots into a TV's HDMI port. Once up and running, Roku says the device will give users a choice of more than 1,200 channels in the US or more than 750 channels for users in Canada, the UK and the Republic of Ireland at up to 1080p HD video resolution.

The Streaming Stick can be controlled from a smartphone or tablet app for iOS or Android, but Roku is also offering a remote control for those who prefer a more orthodox means of channel-hopping. Media that can be streamed to a TV includes Netflix, YouTube and any personal files stored on the user's smart device. Roku is also planning to add the functionality for wirelessly sending media from a home computer.

The Streaming Stick is available for pre-order and will be available in April for a suggested retail price of US$49.99.

Source: Roku (http://www.roku.com/products/roku-ready-streaming-stick)

Source: Gizmag (Robarts) (http://www.gizmag.com/roku-streaming-stick/31088/)

andrewzarian
03-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Excited about this one

AlBurr
03-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Pre-ordered one last week. Very excited

AlBurr
04-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Just received mine and it will definitely help me "cut the cord" on my cable bill.

mcphillips
04-06-2014, 03:20 PM
One came with my JVC TV. It works through the JVC remote control. It's wireless only. I'm not sure that I like that.

MovieBuff
04-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Just received mine and it will definitely help me "cut the cord" on my cable bill.

Any additional thoughts? Is it good?

AlBurr
04-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I suppose... I already have a Samsung TV, an XBox, a Wii... so I have a fair amount of overlap. I am already Amazon Prime and subscribe to HULU and NetFlix so I have have a good set of Streaming content. It was fun to watch TWiT on my big screen though...I still haven't fully explored it as I have been occupied with other activities.

"Update" 4-13-14: I am enjoying the freedom and simplicity of the ROKU interface. Not sure if this will allow me to "cut the cord" just yet. Still too many compromises with some content that my wife enjoys. I may invest in a HD antenna again and see if we can get the local programming. That may just be enough to get rid of cable.

PaulSaunders
05-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Hey Guys,

just got a roku and love it!

domineaux
05-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Not sure I understand the enthusiasm.

I bought the Roku 3 couple weeks ago. Everything appeared to have a subscription charge. With the various choices wanted in my household I pretty well concluded I was better off with time warner cable. Of course we aren't into movies, which is probably the main attraction for many people. No one liked the interface and selection tools in the app. Also, many of the choices were not complete for the various provider stations, especially local stations.

I returned it within 2 weeks and got a full refund. It appeared to work well enough WIFI, but everyone was complaining about how slow it loaded programs. Otherwise, I guess it was OK. I don't watch TV, so I wasn't interested at all.

andrewzarian
05-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Not sure I understand the enthusiasm.

I bought the Roku 3 couple weeks ago. Everything appeared to have a subscription charge. With the various choices wanted in my household I pretty well concluded I was better off with time warner cable. Of course we aren't into movies, which is probably the main attraction for many people. No one liked the interface and selection tools in the app. Also, many of the choices were not complete for the various provider stations, especially local stations.

I returned it within 2 weeks and got a full refund. It appeared to work well enough WIFI, but everyone was complaining about how slow it loaded programs. Otherwise, I guess it was OK. I don't watch TV, so I wasn't interested at all.

Interesting.. most people buy a Roku for either Netflix, Hulu, and the WWE Network.

mcphillips
05-12-2014, 05:22 AM
I'm not into movies either, but I have been binge watching some TV series on Netflix. The Roku takes a little getting used to, but once you make the journey, it's a nice little unit when it's not crashing. I have a Roku 2, a Roku 3, and a Roku Streaming Stick HDMI/HML. The 3 is the best one.