PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts On How To Podcast

Spencer Kobren
03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
So I’ve recently watched and listened to a couple of podcasts on how to podcast…You know, the dos and don’ts, how to earn etc., but all the advice is very similar, and from what I can tell, relatively ineffective in the real world of turning your podcast into a profitable business.

While a lot of these guys seem really smart, engaging and entertaining, it just appears that most in the field are sticking with old school "radio like" business models that never really worked in radio. Radio runs off debt. It’s an incredibly flawed model, so why do podcasters believe they need to stick with it?

PaulSaunders
03-03-2014, 01:44 PM
To be honest spencer I'm really tired of all these How to podcast podcasts. Most..... not all are done by people who have never had any success in the broadcasting world and have never created a successful podcast. Its a bunch of marketing guys trying to sell you their bs course. a sucker is born everyday.

mcphillips
03-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Nerve struck. A member of my inner circle was telling me earlier today that I shouldn't waste my time trying to warn people about these purveyors of snake oil. I've been around a long time, and I can smell a skunk a mile away. While there are some people making money, the numbers are so incredibly low that they are laughable.

If you want to get little people to follow you around like puppies, start posting income reports showing that you make megabucks. You cannot tell them otherwise. (Think about someone who has just about signed up for an MLM. They are extremely defensive about their decision, and YOU just don't get it.)

I know some very wealthy people. None of them talks about how much money they make.

Here is what you can take to the bank. Making money podcasting is hard work. It's no different from any other business except that it may be harder to make money.

Spencer Kobren
03-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Wow, had no idea that this post would elicit such a passionate response. I can certainly see your points guys, and while I can’t speak to the issue of what people are marketing or selling, I do think these programs can be helpful as far as learning about some of the technical aspects of internet broadcasting.

Mike’s point about hard work is spot on…Very few possess the grit and ingenuity it takes to make a living as an independent broadcaster.

BradShoemaker
03-03-2014, 06:51 PM
The ones that are evergreen (as the podcaster's studio would say) are meant to be very informal, here's how to structure content, here's how to setup equipment, etc. I agree I have listened to a few of them and I don't get much out of them at all.

I hate that most podcasters out there try to mimic radio. Don't get me wrong, radio has it's bright spots, but this is a new, very similiar, medium. It needs to have it's own feel, it's own style. Reminds me how the early days of web design was basically, take this brochure or print design and make the site look like that.

Then there are those podcasters out there that show off their earnings report, as Mike suggested. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he has podcasting classes and schools where you pay thousands of dollars for training. That being said, if you look at the earnings report, he is making a decent amount on podcasting, but the majority of his income is in the form of the side business. The training, the membership website, etc. I am very wary of someone like that and think that he gives off the wrong impression of what you can expect in podcasting. Those types remind me of Don Lapre, or any other number of get rich quick schemes I used to see on late night TV when I was younger.

mcphillips
03-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Exactly, Brad, but the people who desperately WANT to believe that nonsense overlook the reality. I was sharing the Carlton Sheets story with some younger guys in my circle just last night. (They have not yet been approached to sell MLM soap, either.)

We spent quite a bit of time going through published numbers last night. While many to most of the number are not even remotely credible, they are being misread by the little squirrels chasing nuts.

I was advised to stop being concerned about what other people are doing that may cause them to hurt themselves and to let them going ahead and learn the hard way. Maybe that's the approach I should take. After all, I had to learn the hard way, although I have always tried to learn from the mistakes of others, as well.

Paul McCartney could spend a month with me trying to teach me how to sing, but I would never be able to duplicate Paul McCartney's success. The same is true with a lot of these "pseud shoes dudes" selling "get rich podcasting" schemes. Snake oil is alive and well in the podcasting world, and there is NO reward for anyone who tries to point it out. I'm glad that's not why I do it.

Podnutter
03-04-2014, 07:15 AM
What bothers me about the podcasting world is that no one is teaching people how to be a better broadcaster. Its either about SEO, Marketing or making money. What about talent...

AlBurr
03-04-2014, 08:17 AM
That's a good point Podnutter! Skills improvement training is a bit lacking out there. I'd like to get more help on content development and delivery. Vocal skills are another area that could use some specialization...although there are cross-overs from other broadcast/voice-over areas that are helpful.

oscarmartz
03-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Podnutter you hit the nail on the head. The reason why many of these podcasting coaches are focusing in on SEO, Marketing and all the other stuff is because you cant teach talent. No matter how much SEO and marketing you do if your show sucks no one is going to listen to it and sadly 98% of the podcasts out there suck

Spencer Kobren
03-04-2014, 09:58 AM
These are all good points. It really is all about talent and relate-ability. In my view, you have to be relatable to both your audience and to the industry your working within in order to succeed financially.

Mike makes a good point with his Paul MCartney analogy…Im always asked questions like “what steps do I need to take to become a successful entrepreneur.” The answer is, you have to be born with the drive and wherewithal to make it happen. It can’t be taught in my view... You can give a guy the keys to the castle, but very few have the ability to unlock the door. It's just the way that it is.

BradShoemaker
03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Podnutter you hit the nail on the head. The reason why many of these podcasting coaches are focusing in on SEO, Marketing and all the other stuff is because you cant teach talent. No matter how much SEO and marketing you do if your show sucks no one is going to listen to it and sadly 98% of the podcasts out there suck

Although I largely agree with this point, some people could cross that threshold with the right coaching. Look at Tiger Woods (maybe a bad example), even while he was still great he was still getting coaches on the intricacies in his game to take him to the next level, granted he has downgraded from that level since then, but the point is, at his greatest he was still getting feedback on what others saw that he was missing.

In the radio world people do air checks. In the podcasting world, I think talented people sound like garbage because no one takes the time to tell them that they are falling back on crutches to get them through. Once their eyes are opened, they improve 10 fold (if they choose to work on those little nuances once pointed out).

The biggest mistake I see almost every podcaster make is that they try to mimic radio, from the voice to the production, etc. Even one of the shows I produce has an intro created by one of the hosts that is too long and sounds very radio-y. So do as I say, not as I'm affiliated with.

thetechbuzz
03-04-2014, 11:18 AM
I can say at least from my point of view doing a show on my network called "Broadcast Now" we use this as a medium to inform other broadcasters of things that worked and didn't work for me and my guests. But we ALWAYS state there is no right or wrong way of doing this, I don't care who you are, there is no secret sauce. All we can state is what is working or has worked. I agree with the statements about radio, I prefer to run my show like a TV show, but still use radio mics cause of the quality.

But i think if more people got involved in some of these shows, and offered their opinion, I think more and more people would get more out of them. We try to bring industry professionals on to talk about things that we aren't very up on. But I can assure any of you, that we aren't doing the show for SEO or trying to deceive anyone with the show.

With that said, I do think more and more people that consider themselves good at broadcasting, or a success as some put it, get involved with these shows, so the correct information gets out. Again this is just my opinion.

Spencer Kobren
03-04-2014, 11:28 AM
With that said, I do think more and more people that consider themselves good at broadcasting, or a success as some put it, get involved with these shows, so the correct information gets out. Again this is just my opinion.

Is this your way of inviting me to be a guest on your show? It would be an honor...Just busting balls.:) I think you make some good points.

thetechbuzz
03-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Is this your way of inviting me to be a guest on your show? It would be an honor...Just busting balls.:) I think you make some good points.

Spencer any time your free man!! Seriously!! Today Mike and I are going to talk about building a community and our experiences on how to keep them, and build it. If your open, would love to have you on and join us!! 2:45pm your time for pre-show :)

Spencer Kobren
03-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Spencer any time your free man!! Seriously!! Today Mike and I are going to talk about building a community and our experiences on how to keep them, and build it. If your open, would love to have you on and join us!! 2:45pm your time for pre-show :)

Don’t laugh, but I'm be getting a haircut at that time…It's a whole stress filled ordeal for me. One wrong move and I’m bald.:)

I’d love to come on sometime though…we’ll make it happen. Thanks for the invite!

mcphillips
03-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Brad, we're not disagreeing. What I'm saying is that a vocal coach can make a singer sing better. A vocal coach cannot make a non-singer into a singer. Taylor Swift is the perfect example. You either have it or you don't. If you have it, you can hone it. If you don't have it, you're out of luck.

The rub is that everyone who broadcasts or podcasts for the first time sucks. With time, the ones "with it" pull away from the crowd and excel. The ones "without it" don't attract and audience and often get suckered into high priced podcasting schools and "get rich podcasting" schemes. I never criticize anyone for being a beginner, but I do criticize people who fail to use their common sense when it comes to protecting themselves from snake oil.

On a side note, I'm not sure why I bother. I was told recently that, in essence, I should mind my own business when it comes to helping others not get screwed and let the chips fall where they may. That's not my nature, but maybe I can learn to do that.

erictimmer
03-04-2014, 03:40 PM
I don't think you are "born" an entrepreneur. That is learned for sure. Of course, your environment from early age shapes this (i.e. parents, socioeconomics, friends, the paths you chose, etc.) but no you are not born with it.

TommySulivan
03-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Im still pretty new to podcasting but here is my point of view.

I think there are many people out there that have no idea where to start when it comes to podcasting. I think Podcasts about podcasting can be a great tool on learning the rights and wrongs of podcasting without making the mistakes. Most of the information provided can be found somewhere else on the net but why waste your time when someone else has done the homework for you.

I do agree that there should be more shows on doing compelling content. Natural talent is something that can not be learned but you can come close.

Some people are interesting and some are not. Same goes for podcasts.

TommySulivan
03-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Eric I think you brought up something interesting. having a successful podcast is more about having interesting content and less about being a good entrepreneur. Do podcasters want to have a interesting podcast or do they want to be an entrepreneur?

erictimmer
03-04-2014, 03:58 PM
The problem is..... How do you define a "successful podcast"? Money? Audience? Having fun?

There are many definitions so "You" have to decide what "You" think is a successful podcast.

podcastcoach
03-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Erik K Johnson of podcasttalentcoach.com does a pretty good job helping with content creation. I'm loving this thread though. I'm getting tons of ideas for new shows...

TommySulivan
03-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Success is not that hard to measure. If you dont have a large audience / making money your are not successful at podcasting. Plan and simple. I dont care to listen to someone who is doing this as a hobby. I want to hear from people who have been doing this successfully for a long time.

Spencer Kobren
03-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Erik K Johnson of podcasttalentcoach.com does a pretty good job helping with content creation. I'm loving this thread though. I'm getting tons of ideas for new shows...

What interests you most about the thread?

Spencer Kobren
03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
I don't think you are "born" an entrepreneur. That is learned for sure. Of course, your environment from early age shapes this (i.e. parents, socioeconomics, friends, the paths you chose, etc.) but no you are not born with it.

Effective entrepreneurs see opportunity where others see nothing. The difference between success and failure lies in a combination of extremely hard work and practically flawless execution. 1000 people can have the exact same concept, take the same path, have the same education, socio-economic background, financial backing and emotional support, but only one or two will succeed in that market. Natural instincts and drive is what makes the difference. You either have it or you don't....Just my view.:)

jeffbrown
03-05-2014, 01:07 PM
I don't want to post a link for fear of coming across as too self-promotional, but I do offer such a course online. The very first set of 20 students just "graduated" in February (it's a month-long course) and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Students' experience level ran the gamut from several who had yet to launch to one with 63 episodes published and another with over 450 episodes under his belt. In addition to weekly modules taught live, I include one-on-one weekly coaching seasons.

One of the most helpful and valuable aspects of my radio career was the personal talent coaching I received during my time on the air. I love helping others really understand the keys to leveraging this intimate medium.

jamesdelfresco
03-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Jeff what do you feel is the biggest mistake new podcasters make. Would love to get some insight from someone who is from the broadcasting world

jeffbrown
03-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Some might not agree, but my biggest pet peeve often rears its head on interview-focused podcasts. Once the guest is introduced, the host nearly always "forgets" his/her audience and talks only to the guest. What I teach is to think of yourself, your guest and your listener (one person) as sitting at the same table having a conversation. Most hosts are so focused on their guest, they essentially make their listener feel as if they're sitting at another table, more or less eaves dropping ON a conversation, as opposed to participating IN one. It's techniques like these that can make a world of difference in how your listener perceives you and your content.

docizzen
03-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Success is to be measured... not so much by the position one has reached in life, but by the obstacles one has overcome in life, while trying to succeed. ~ Booker T. Washington

Persistence produces success... nothing in the world produces more success than persistence. Talent cannot, nothing is more common in the world today than unsuccessful people... loaded with talent. Education cannot, the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone, will always win the day ~ Calvin Coolidge

In her sweet Southern vernacular: "Boy... if you wont breakfass in bed, you gon'half to sleep in da kitchen a life!" (In other words, the secret to your success is hidden in your daily routine.) ~ My Grand Mother

Spencer Kobren
03-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Success is to be measured... not so much by the position one has reached in life, but by the obstacles one has overcome in life, while trying to succeed. ~ Booker T. Washington

Persistence produces success... nothing in the world produces more success than persistence. Talent cannot, nothing is more common in the world today than unsuccessful people... loaded with talent. Education cannot, the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone, will always win the day ~ Calvin Coolidge

In her Southern vernacular: "Boy... if you wont breakfass in bed, you gon'half to sleep in da kitchen a life!" (In other words, the secret to your success is hidden in your daily routine.) ~ My Grand Mother

Ain't that the truth!

MyTakeRadio
03-06-2014, 02:32 PM
I listen to those shows just to see what people are talking about with regards to being "successful". People think that by touting their bank rolls that they will get people to follow them into the trenches. There is no full proof recipe for success much like some people are great at podcasting and some people suck at it. I'd rather fall 100 times and get up stronger then follow someone elses blueprint for success.

If you made a 100 grand podcasting in a year then you clearly have all the tools to make it work but not everyone has that type of good fortune. Take risks, work hard and stay humble and success will come. I got 200 plus episodes under my belt and each one is 3hrs long and in some cases longer. I think I do a good job but am I swimming in money? Not in the least but I love what I do and will keep working at it till I get to where I want to be. I'd rather be the man that practices and masters one kick 10,000 times then be the guy who touts he knows 10,000 kicks.

Spencer Kobren
03-06-2014, 03:23 PM
I listen to those shows just to see what people are talking about with regards to being "successful". People think that by touting their bank rolls that they will get people to follow them into the trenches. There is no full proof recipe for success much like some people are great at podcasting and some people suck at it. I'd rather fall 100 times and get up stronger then follow someone elses blueprint for success.

If you made a 100 grand podcasting in a year then you clearly have all the tools to make it work but not everyone has that type of good fortune. Take risks, work hard and stay humble and success will come. I got 200 plus episodes under my belt and each one is 3hrs long and in some cases longer. I think I do a good job but am I swimming in money? Not in the least but I love what I do and will keep working at it till I get to where I want to be. I'd rather be the man that practices and masters one kick 10,000 times then be the guy who touts he knows 10,000 kicks.

Well said!

MGadAllah
03-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Please may you tell an example of how to make a money from a podcast because I never imagine such a think and never think about it ever before.

TommySulivan
06-28-2014, 03:42 PM
I recently listened to a podcast that was advising podcasters to start putting ads on as soon as they start the show. He suggested doing affiliate programs to make it seem like they have "real" advertisers...

podcastcoach
06-28-2014, 04:14 PM
That might have been me. This may not be as big a deal as say 2007. In the past if people started having Ads their audience might object and want the "good old days" when there were no ads. If you have them from the start, they get used to hearing advertising. With so many "top" podcasters having ads, that may not be as big of an issue.

I recently listened to a podcast that was advising podcasters to start putting ads on as soon as they start the show. He suggested doing affiliate programs to make it seem like they have "real" advertisers...

andrewzarian
06-28-2014, 05:35 PM
That might have been me. This may not be as big a deal as say 2007. In the past if people started having Ads their audience might object and want the "good old days" when there were no ads. If you have them from the start, they get used to hearing advertising. With so many "top" podcasters having ads, that may not be as big of an issue.

I think its actually good advice. Learning how to deliver live reads is just part of improving as a broadcaster. There is no harm in having affiliate advertisers when you start out.

TommySulivan
06-28-2014, 05:39 PM

Hi Dave. It wasnt you. I listen to your podcast every week. big fan!

ronknights
08-02-2014, 11:14 AM
This is a great thread, but I have a some issues with the advice given here. I've seen many "slogans" and quotations that really don't appear to address the issue or provide meaningful information. Pardon me, but I am not always able to totally express what I have to say so others can understand.

It doesn't matter whether a talented person is born with talent or drive, or whether he or she learns talent. You can have an abundance of talent and drive, and even the best of equipment. None of these will guarantee fame or fortune. You can only try your best to assemble everything you can, and be willing to learn from others. Other people may offer you advice on how to podcast, get good audio, etc. Your audience can be an invaluable resource concerning audio, video and your ability to maintain interest, engage people etc.

I'm an old guy. I had a few fumbling shows before I decided to retire. Now I just make YouTube videos sometimes. I have a small and loyal audience. I come from a generation that insisted we need to polish our presentation. We need to know proper grammar, spelling etc. I was lucky because I have excellent speaking and writing skills, when I take the time to exercise them. However, I constantly battle my own anxiety, dyslexia, and several other ailments that were never officially diagnosed.

I've watched many online broadcasters, and even movie and TV celebrities. I wonder when people stopped caring about Intelligent Communication. So many "younger generations" constantly misuse the word "like," the word "your," etc.

Everyone here has made some excellent recommendations. But, in my estimation, all this information is cheapened if we fail to encourage our people to speak and write properly.