PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful With Windows 7 Communications Tab

mcphillips
12-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Windows 7 sound includes a function that allows a program such as Skype or SIP to be designated as a communications device. If you're not careful, you will encounter a problem that I had with Skype on a new computer last week. We use two instances of Skype on the same computer for a radio show. When I connected the second Skype account, the volume of the first one almost disappeared.

Upon investigation, I discovered that the problem is that the Communications tab should be set to "Do nothing" instead of set to reduce the volume of the other audio sources.

http://i.imgur.com/5ErTcJj.png

In the past, I've always set it to "Do nothing" without having had a problem. For some reason, on the new computer, I didn't bother.

I don't fully understand the interaction with Default Sound Device and Default Communications Device, but since I don't use the Communications function, I disable the volume reduction function. You may want to do it, too.

andrewzarian
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM
this is a great tip. I have been telling people to do this for years.

Podnutter
12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
I never noticed this setting. Thanks Mike. What happens when this setting it turned on? How is it effecting the call quality?

oscarmartz
12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks mike. Great tip

Spencer Kobren
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Great tip Mike! Happy New Year my friend!

Spino
01-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Great tip but how can you open two instances of skype? I have four accounts but when I launch Skype it doesn't ask me user and password and I can't open more than one instance at the same time.