PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good headphones for podcasting

Podnutter
11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
I was watching Podcasters Roundtable last night and they were discussing headphones. I am looking to get a good pair of headphones. Right now I'm using my iPhone earbuds

AlBurr
11-20-2013, 01:58 PM
This is the pair I use. Sennheiser HD588. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FEEY9A/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are "circumaural"...fancy word for around your ears :). They are also open so I can hear my wife yelling at me. That was my choice over a close ear system. I suspect many may prefer the closed ear system in order to better detect any audio issues. However I have a big head and the few of those that I tried just hurt. The HD588 I can wear for hours.

There are a ton of options out there. I would suggest, if you can get to a audio store to test them that would be best, as I think headphones are very subjective purchase. Not one size fits all... sorry :;

andrewzarian
11-20-2013, 02:08 PM
I have been using the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065BPB/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000065BPB&linkCode=as2&tag=thgufrquponet-20) for about 4 years. The headphone is a little bulky but sounds great.

oscarmartz
11-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I have the Sony MDRs and its pretty good. I Think I paid like 60 bucks for it

Dan Ortego
11-21-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm still new but I have gone through a few different headphones before finding something I actually liked. For webcasting I started out with a $69 Sony and though they served the purpose, they were simply too flimsy. Next I tried the Heil for $99 but they were equally disappointing.

Then I tried the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and I'm happy with them. These are an on-ear design which I didn't think I would like but they seal surprisingly well with soft pads that are very comfortable. Another plus is that they don’t sweat your ears like' the over-the-ear versions do. The cups turn 90 degrees so that you can remove them from your head and lay them on your neck and easily turn your head side-to-side without interference.

The frame, hangers, and pivot joints are constructed of metal and is very durable. The set incorporates a non-removable straight cord. It's a tad short in some instances but that can be solved with an extension cable if one so desires. While I understand removable chords add a bit of flexibility, they also add the probability of noise when they eventually become loose in the socket. They are offered in a coiled version but are considerably more expensive. Likewise, coiled cords invariably twist themselves into knots which I find quite annoying. How did they sound? Well, for me and my damaged ears they sound great and without any pronounced color but again, everyone's ears and taste is different.

Overall, I believe headphones are just as subjective to the individual as choosing a microphone. I'm glad I went through three sets in order to run comparisons but as a rule of thumb I think you get what you pay for.