PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom for your podcast

Podnutter
11-04-2013, 07:43 PM
I am looking to incorporate a chatroom with my podcast (when I am recording live). I see that many people use IRC but is that the best solution?

What other services are there that I could use?

PaulSaunders
11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Why not use something like Facebook or twitter? Is there a way to do a live twitter chat?

techzentv
11-05-2013, 07:57 PM
There is no live twitter chat but there are chat rooms in facebook but I am not sure if you can just set one up for something like this.

There are other chat systems out there, the reason so many people use IRC is because there is a large number of web and fat clients available for it. It is also realtime. Many of the web based chat systems have to do a refresh to get the page updated.

The other advantage to IRC is there are a number of places to host your chat room where you do not have to worry about the servers, just put a java client on your website pointing to the server and your room and you are good to go.

I have experimented with some of the web based chat and I doubt they could handle the volume of chat that goes on at networks like GFQ or Twit.

If you are not familiar with IRC, the maintenance of the chat room with Ops, Kicking, Banning, etc. is a little overwhelming at first. There are some great tutorials out there though.

TomSinclair
11-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I have recently tried Chatwing (.com). I'm still learning it, but happy with what I've seen so far.

PaulSaunders
11-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Tom does Chatwing work with Facebook?

AndrewSeabrook
11-07-2013, 07:40 PM
You can certainly log in to Chatwing using your facebook ID. I don't know if there is any other integration.

PaulSaunders
12-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back on here. Got caught up with work. Why isnt there an IRC embed chat that looks nice.

Tybee Television
01-02-2014, 05:01 PM
I have recently tried Chatwing (.com). I'm still learning it, but happy with what I've seen so far.

Chatwing works great!

Podnutter
01-02-2014, 10:56 PM
thanks for all the great advice. Might be a dumb question but why is IRC the popular platform?

Donovan
01-03-2014, 06:46 AM
thanks for all the great advice. Might be a dumb question but why is IRC the popular platform?

I personally think it's because IRC has been around since its creation in 1988. It has a proven track record. It's simple (in relative terms). All of the various new chat systems that have been developed over the last few years seem to just add more bells and whistles - something that, in my opinion, isn't needed. Also, I initially thought allowing someone to use their FB or Twitter credentials to log into a chatroom would be enticing, but I no longer think that is the case.

I've switched to several of the web based chats and I always wind up coming back to good 'ol IRC. :)

TalkNet
09-25-2014, 04:30 PM
IRC is the best option for interacting; it may be an old standard but it's near instantaneous and it's reliable. In fact if I get enough money I'm getting my own customizable IRC server.

Leo uses IRC, Andrew uses IRC, even Tom uses IRC. Why leave yourself out of the most successful technology of the decade.

BradShoemaker
09-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Here is a chat client that I haven't seen before but recently came across. I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting.

There is a plugin to integrate it into Wordpress.

http://barc.com/

PaulSaunders
09-29-2014, 07:25 PM
the problem I have with IRC is finding a pretty embed for my website. they all look like crap and the ones that dont are buggy