PDA

View Full Version : Angry Podcaster not supporting the Podcast Awards

Podnutter
11-02-2013, 05:14 AM
Did any of you catch this blog post by this guy? http://www.geekgamer.tv/news/geek/the-podcast-awards/

He does make some very interesting points about the award show.

erictimmer
11-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Waaaahhhhh, Is all I have to say. Of course is a popularity contest!! All awards ceremonies are!! If you look at the winners last year you can tell who got there audience to go vote. Most people don't make any effort what-so-ever or even care about these awards.

Amnon
11-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Did any of you catch this blog post by this guy? http://www.geekgamer.tv/news/geek/the-podcast-awards/
He does make some very interesting points about the award show.

He does, but he needs to concentrate on getting a job at this point :-)

(can you imagine? An awards program headed by Chase?)

jamesdelfresco
11-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I actually agree with everything he is saying in that post. I kinda feel the same about the awards. When you look at the list if winners from last year your head will spin. Most of them are awful

TommySulivan
11-02-2013, 08:38 AM
I dont get it. They are all popularity contests. Whats the big deal? If you dont agree with something dont participate.

techzentv
11-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I looked at the list from this year and most of them are pretty bad. There are some diamonds in there but mostly coal.

erictimmer
11-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I looked at the list from this year and most of them are pretty bad. There are some diamonds in there but mostly coal.

Exactly, there were some dogs for sure...lol

Podnutter
11-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Chase makes some really good points. The problem is that this is how every one of these awards work. Todd is doing the awards because of the traffic he receives to the site, this allows him to market his products and services and sell ads on the website.

So when are we going to see the IAIB Awards?

podcastcoach
11-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I consider Todd a very honest dude (He's revealed things publicly about how blubrry.com occasionally missed a mark or two). While it is a numbers game, in the end its about influence. If you can get your audience to vote, you have a good chance.

andrewzarian
11-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey Guys. Just saw this thread. Before this gets out of control lets keep this thread respectful.

I do think Chase brings up some very good points about the issues with award shows. At the end of the day it does become a popularity contest and that is not a true representation of what should be considered "The best" in that category.

This is an interest topic to discuss and lets keep it going. Regardless of what you think of Todd or Chase lets keep an open mind and respect everyones opinion.

Chase Nunes
11-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Waaaahhhhh, Is all I have to say. Of course is a popularity contest!! All awards ceremonies are!! If you look at the winners last year you can tell who got there audience to go vote. Most people don't make any effort what-so-ever or even care about these awards.

Waaahh? Okay...thanks for that....

All awards ceremonies are not a "popularity contest", especially when it comes to areas of production for example. I have seen many movies for example that absolutely sucked at the box office, but won many awards for technical achievements.

On your last part....your correct. Not many care anymore because they feel the process is flawed like I do.

Chase Nunes
11-03-2013, 04:27 PM
He does, but he needs to concentrate on getting a job at this point :-)

(can you imagine? An awards program headed by Chase?)

I have been looking Amnon since June....still working hard on that.

Not sure if your being sarcastic on the second sentence Amnon....lol

Chase Nunes
11-03-2013, 04:30 PM
I dont get it. They are all popularity contests. Whats the big deal? If you dont agree with something dont participate.

Well...because initially I thought that it wasn't all about popularity but also skill. For example, "Best Produced".

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but my work that I do on Minecraft Me, GGW and other content blows away some of the shows in that category. Maybe the category should read....Best Produced By Popular Vote of Their Listeners......or something to that effect.

Chase Nunes
11-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Again, I'm very open to feedback. I know some people might be offended by my comments, but I felt like speaking up.

I guess being jobless can do that to a person....;)

Thanks everyone!

oscarmartz
11-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Chase let me say I discovered your podcast and really was amazed at your production values. I think you do a really good job but what I do not like is your attitude towards people. In the year that I have followed you and your career you have attacked OMG Chad and TWiT for doing a similar show, attacked Todd and the Podcasting awards for not getting nominated. Rather blaming everyone else why don't you step back and look at the things you are doing wrong. Maybe its your attitude thats causing all your troubles.

I am not saying this to be mean or a jerk to you I just want you to step back and look at what you are doing wrong. In the blog post you made on Geekgamer.tv you have some very strong points but it sounds like you are upset that you didn't get picked as a nominee. Possible a case of bad timing.

Would you be making these points if you got nominated or even were in the running to win? I doubt it.

Chase Nunes
11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Chase let me say I discovered your podcast and really was amazed at your production values. I think you do a really good job but what I do not like is your attitude towards people. In the year that I have followed you and your career you have attacked OMG Chad and TWiT for doing a similar show, attacked Todd and the Podcasting awards for not getting nominated. Rather blaming everyone else why don't you step back and look at the things you are doing wrong. Maybe its your attitude thats causing all your troubles.

I am not saying this to be mean or a jerk to you I just want you to step back and look at what you are doing wrong. In the blog post you made on Geekgamer.tv you have some very strong points but it sounds like you are upset that you didn't get picked as a nominee. Possible a case of bad timing.

Would you be making these points if you got nominated or even were in the running to win? I doubt it.

Okay let's break this down, I'm on my phone so apologies in advance for any spelling or punctuation errors.

On the OMGChad thing, sure I was pissed about what I felt were blatant similaries of what I was doing. I don't know how close you follow, but I have come 180 on that. Since we were both at Minecon this year, I extended invites to him to come by our Episode 100 taping. We have at least chatted on Twitter as well.

I have also spoken with PadreSJ has he reached out to me after he saw my feelings.

Sometimes you have to be open to share when something is bothering you to get a response, because after trying to reach out privately got nothing in response.

---

If you read what I wrote on the podcasting awards, I didn't specifically say that I'm writing this for not being nominated. I have been sitting on these thoughts for a while now and after I saw the reveal I felt it was time to share. I can honestly tell you that I was ready to share regardless of the nomination outcome, because once another show of similar theme but with an audience of 100 times ours decided to jump into the ring, in my opinion showed some of the flaws in the system and in additon, i already started forming my thoughts before the big reveal anyway.

Those who know my history knows that I have a great positive attitude and know me from the past 8 years of doing this. I'm don't attack when its unwarranted or do it out of spite.

I welcome any constructive feedback about me or what I do. I have been trying to do my best, but even after that, sometimes when something is bothering you and after you have done a ton of self reflection, you cant break through.

Hopes this helps clear up any confusion.

circlecast
11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Alright here is My whole spiel about the podcast awards and this guys response.
First off I have to be a little suspicious when a guy complaining about how an awards program is not fair when they do not show up on the nominations list. He complains about how, "it was a “basic” and “barebones” powerpoint", all I can say is maybe if he can do better then maybe he need to offer Todd C. his assistance. Instead of trolling about miss spelled words.

All award shows are popularity contests. Even the Oscars are about what movies the screen actors guild likes best. It has nothing to do with amount of money it is brought in, I have seen my fair share of low box office generators win. It has nothing to do with stories being told I have see many a crappy story win an oscar also. Even Peoples choice is popularity.

This guy is not helping his case by sitting around complaining that the presentation was without life, all I could sorry but apparently Vince Shlomi had a prior engagement, but that is not going to fix the problem. Crying about how small shows aren't getting nominated because they do not have as many listeners as Adam Corolla. The solution to that problem is Grow your audience. Yeah I know it is a challenge I am just starting out I have about 50 listeners Do I have a snow balls chance on a skillet? nope I realize this and the gamergeek dude should learn it also and get to hustling. he can be the big dog, if he tries. if he doesn't try that is on his head not the Podcast Awards.

I will agree with the Best Produced. I would think that means the best sounding with the least background noise. Is that what that means? I dont know, why not ask Todd C though he is in Hawaii, he would probably love to talk about it. Now I can say this stuff because I don't have a dog in this fight. Now next year when I do make a push to get my show nominated maybe that will be different. But at the moment, I have no idea what the could possibly mean.

So this GeekGamer might want to put the joystick down for a few extra hours and apply himself to his show and he may get to be nominated.

Alright my rant is over.

Chase Nunes
11-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Alright here is My whole spiel about the podcast awards and this guys response.
First off I have to be a little suspicious when a guy complaining about how an awards program is not fair when they do not show up on the nominations list. He complains about how, "it was a “basic” and “barebones” powerpoint", all I can say is maybe if he can do better then maybe he need to offer Todd C. his assistance. Instead of trolling about miss spelled words.

I believe I'm qualified to have an opinion about it since I was nominated last year and was also a finalist. If Todd would like my assistance, I'm more then welcome to offer him consulting about improving the overall production of his Podcast Awards. I didn't troll about misspelled words. (Why is everyone focusing on that?!?!) I spoke a lot more about what I felt were issues with the overall product of the Podcast Awards)

All award shows are popularity contests. Even the Oscars are about what movies the screen actors guild likes best. It has nothing to do with amount of money it is brought in, I have seen my fair share of low box office generators win. It has nothing to do with stories being told I have see many a crappy story win an oscar also. Even Peoples choice is popularity.

Not true.

In local emmy awards for television stations: Small market news stations can be nominated for “Best Newscast in the Country”, but are adjusted by market size so a news station in Fresno, CA would not be competing against a station in New York. If it was by pure size.....New York would probably win everytime!

People Choice SHOULD be a popularity! That makes sense....but the nomination process shouldn't be. They don't ask the whole world what should be nominated for "Best Picture" do they?

This guy is not helping his case by sitting around complaining that the presentation was without life, all I could sorry but apparently Vince Shlomi had a prior engagement, but that is not going to fix the problem. Crying about how small shows aren't getting nominated because they do not have as many listeners as Adam Corolla. The solution to that problem is Grow your audience. Yeah I know it is a challenge I am just starting out I have about 50 listeners Do I have a snow balls chance on a skillet? nope I realize this and the gamergeek dude should learn it also and get to hustling. he can be the big dog, if he tries. if he doesn't try that is on his head not the Podcast Awards.

Crying...thanks for that. I guess if I disagree with something, then post about it on my own site, I guess I'm crying.

I can be a big dog if I try? Really? and then you throw Adam Corolla in there.... You cannot use an example like Adam, Leo Laporte, Chris Pirillo and many others who have made transitions to podcasting because they had a good career in traditional media and an audience that followed them.

I have been doing this for 8 years. If my success was just gaged on time spent, I should be a big dog by now....right?

I will agree with the Best Produced. I would think that means the best sounding with the least background noise. Is that what that means? I dont know, why not ask Todd C though he is in Hawaii, he would probably love to talk about it. Now I can say this stuff because I don't have a dog in this fight. Now next year when I do make a push to get my show nominated maybe that will be different. But at the moment, I have no idea what the could possibly mean.

I shouldn't have to ask what it means.....he should be posting that and what every categories criteria on the site. Best Produced? Just another popularity category, when their is no crowd control or criteria to be met when you are promoting it.

So this GeekGamer might want to put the joystick down for a few extra hours and apply himself to his show and he may get to be nominated.

Alright my rant is over.

Right...another side jab, "put the joystick down..." and put more time into it. I guess I just don't do enough....your right...../sarcasm

PaulSaunders
11-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Im sorry if this is going to sound weird but Who the hell is Todd? :)

Chase Nunes
11-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Im sorry if this is going to sound weird but Who the hell is Todd? :)

http://www.toddblog.com/about/

circlecast
11-08-2013, 10:18 AM
I didn't troll about misspelled words. (Why is everyone focusing on that?!?!) I spoke a lot more about what I felt were issues with the overall product of the Podcast Awards)]
Then that probably shouldn't been the first shot out of the proverbial gun. That is why everyone is focusing in on it, is because that was the first "jab?"

In local emmy awards for television stations: Small market news stations can be nominated for “Best Newscast in the Country”, but are adjusted by market size so a news station in Fresno, CA would not be competing against a station in New York. If it was by pure size.....New York would probably win everytime! Yet still it is dependent on more judges liking it the most. Or in other words more popular.

Crying...thanks for that. I guess if I disagree with something, then post about it on my own site, I guess I'm crying.
That is how it appeared to me. Venting, blowing off steam, how ever you want to put it. In the way and tone I picked up from the blog post you were not happy about not being nominated. So yeah I called it crying. Your opinion is that and you have placed it in an area that is consumed by many people. So, yeah people read your opinion and then comment on it. Sometimes in forums like this.

I can be a big dog if I try? Really? and then you throw Adam Corolla in there.... You cannot use an example like Adam, Leo Laporte, Chris Pirillo and many others who have made transitions to podcasting because they had a good career in traditional media and an audience that followed them.
And I am sure that David said "That is just unfair that Goliath is so big". right before he knocked him out. Don't ever think you cant do something. Can you get an audience the size of Corrola's? Yes you can, not tomorrow night but you can. Think of how many gamers there are in the world. They will rival those that listen to Leo. It is possible just have to have the right mind set.

I have been doing this for 8 years. If my success was just gaged on time spent, I should be a big dog by now....right?
8 Years? first let me say, Good job your tenacity is better than most. You have been cranking out show after show and that would explain some of the exasperation you experience. You might look at finding a mastermind group to join up with. They will be able to help out in ways you never dreamed.

I shouldn't have to ask what it means.....he should be posting that and what every categories criteria on the site. Best Produced? Just another popularity category, when their is no crowd control or criteria to be met when you are promoting it.
With that I would say invite Todd on your show and talk about that very topic.

Right...another side jab, "put the joystick down..." and put more time into it. I guess I just don't do enough....your right...../sarcasm
You are right that was a low blow and I truly deeply apologize for it. That was unacceptable. Your gaming is what your show is about. Therefore you should be staying up to date on the trends and events of your industry. I do back down on that one.

podcastcoach
11-09-2013, 07:04 AM
You said,
Excellent shows should not be penalized for not having a huge audiences

I say:
Excellent shows should not have a small audience in the first place. If its excellent, people should be talking about it to their friends.

Example: Swerdlick family from Plymouth Minn
Kid Friday podcast has been downloaded or streamed online by hundreds of thousands of kids worldwide. The fun part is if you look at the iTunes standings, the show is beating shows produced by Nickelodeon, Universal Studios, and Disney.

It may not be the norm, but it is absolutely possible.

BradShoemaker
11-09-2013, 04:13 PM
I say:
Excellent shows should not have a small audience in the first place. If its excellent, people should be talking about it to their friends.

I think that's quite the overstatement. That's the broadcast way of thinking. Mass Appeal = excellence... when in reality Internet Broadcasts can be much more than that. TV shows that survive are generally out there trying to be something to everyone so they can grab that mass appeal. Ratings and budget concerns bring tolerable mediocrity, not excellence. We don't have those constraints and can build excellent shows that don't have the mass audience. This isn't to say that shows with a massive audience aren't excellent as well, just that using broadcast thinking in the Internet world does not necessarily apply.

As for awards shows.... I could care less about them. It is nice to be recognized, but I find it better to have fans enjoy what we're doing regardless of what the outside world thinks.