PDA

View Full Version : Apple is Going Retro

ronknights
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Memory managers were around in the 80s-90s (QEMM etc). Fusion drives have been around since 2007. They are called Hybrid Drives.

http://youtu.be/hJa7BSWd45Y

techzentv
10-24-2013, 01:30 PM
QEMM, I remember that, what memories... MS-DOS and Sidekick. The memory manager from back in the day combined 2 different regions of memory. I think Apple may be the first to compress the data in memory. The thought of that scares me some though, not sure why.

andrewzarian
10-24-2013, 09:00 PM
thats way before my time lol

ronknights
10-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah, you're still a kid?!

Donovan
10-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Remember back when if you wanted to run multiple programs at the same time on a DOS machine, you had to use something like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DESQview

When I was running BBSes, this was the primary way to have multiple lines.

Ah, those were the days. :)

ronknights
10-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah we're a couple old guys remembering the days of DOS, etc. I remember DESqview, but never used it. I never handled text-based stuff all that well.

Heck, I never used Windows 3.X either. I went to OS2 Warp, and held on until just before Windows 95 arrived.

Donovan
10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Yep, I ran a multiline BBS under OS/2 for a while. I always thought that OS/2 was a far better OS than Windows. Oh well. :)

Linuxcooldude
10-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Apples fusion drive is quite different than Hybrid drives. Hybrid drives basically only cache most frequently used data on the SSD drive. The SSD drives on the Hybrids are more often much smaller

Fusion drive is much more efficient as all of the operating system and native applications are on the SSD drive. Also its much more intelligent and moves most frequently used third party apps to the SSD as needed.

So Hybrids is a cache system and Fusion drive is a tiering system where both the SSD & Mechanical hard drive are shown as one logical drive that move the data from one disk to another depending on the user.

But fusion drive are more a go between until SSD prices lower enough in price to make large term storage more affordable.