PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't anyone use Vmix?

oscarmartz
10-23-2013, 06:22 PM
I see everyone here talking about Wirecast and Vidblaster but no one is using Vmix? Why? I have heard some good stuff about it but it doesn't seem like anyone here is actually using it

AlBurr
10-23-2013, 06:56 PM
I started playing with it recently. They just released version 11. I agree it certainly has some great features...I to would love to hear from the more experienced folks on what advantages they might see wrt WC and VB. I do know WC is releasing v5 soon...

sunkast
10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
There should be a comparison chart for all these programs.

techzentv
10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I do not think it is that no ones uses vMix because it is not good. I think it is more that it is a newcomer to the game and Wirecast and Videblaster have been around for a while. I have been playing with it the last 2 weeks and it is nice, the API interface (which is what I am interested in) leaves a lot to be desired but the user interface is not bad.

It is not as flexible as Wirecast (in my opinion). I cannot compare it to Vidblaster as I have never touched it.

I would recommend you download the demo, it may be exactly what you are looking for.

vmix
10-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi Mike,

Could you provide some examples of the flexibility in Wirecast you find are lacking in vMix?
Also, which API functions in particular are you looking for?

Thanks,

Martin
vMix

Podnutter
10-25-2013, 06:58 AM
I think it comes down to marketing. I had never heard of Vmix before reading it here on the IAIB. Im installing it this weekend to try it out.

techzentv
10-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi Martin,

Don't get me wrong, I like vMix. I come from a traditional switching background so the interface is very familiar feeling to me. When I first starting using Wirecast it was confusing to me, but once I figured out the layer concept I realized how powerful that is. That is what I was referring to. By having the layers in each shot and eat shot in a layer it is almost unlimited the number of ways you can do things.

To be fair, I have not been using vmix for very long and still learning.

As for the API, I have created a hardware controller that is using broadcast buttons that currently can control an ATEM and Wirecast. I have it working pretty well with vmix too. It is a bit odd to access the API via a REST interface, it also seems to lag a bit which I can only assume it is the overhead of the webserver.

RaceRemote
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Interesting Video about Vmix that we enjoyed on StudioTech Live:

http://www.studiotech.tv/rokustl97/