PDA

View Full Version : Is Multi-track Recording Important?

AlBurr
10-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi All... One issue that I keep struggling with is whether or not having multi-track out capability on your mixer is important. In your experience has this ability proven useful? I am debating between 2 mixers where that is a differentiator. From my noob perspective this seems more of a concern for musicians and live recordings.

Thanks...

docizzen
10-18-2013, 07:09 AM
I think it really boils down to how you record. If your setup is one where you rely on using built-in or outboard channel strips, EQ, effects live (compressor, gate, etc) on each input, or aux/fx, then the stereo output is all you need. If you record each channel raw, with the intent to go back and edit each in post then you need multi-track.

AlBurr
10-18-2013, 07:48 AM
I think it really boils down to how you record. If your setup is one where you rely on using built-in or outboard channel strips, EQ, effects live (compressor, gate, etc) on each input, or aux/fx, then the stereo output is all you need. If you record each channel raw, with the intent to go back and edit each in post then you need multi-track.
That's exactly where I am struggling... I don't know enough at this point to know if it matters :) My experience in other areas of my life is that flexibility is a good thing. However I don't see myself doing a bunch of post processing work but who knows. I am considering purchasing a dbx 286s in addition to the mixer and a JK Audio Hybrid...alongside the Allen and Heath XB14 2

docizzen
10-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Then multi-tract is moot with that set up. Besides, you will be enhancing your audio externally and sending to a recorder of some type, as well as a live internet radio feed of some type like Spreaker.com. This will save you time not having to worry about additional post production editing. Keep in mind though that you may need a vocal channel strip for each guest eventually. That XB14 2 is sweet. Here's a setup and review of it, but it is in German. I like what you can do with this mixer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuK5ALlxN8M

Dan Ortego
10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Though my German is a bit rusty I understood most of it. I think this mixer has a lot to offer and I do not think the price is unreasonable for what you get.

jamesdelfresco
10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
I dont think Multi track recording is important when it comes to podcasts.

techzentv
10-18-2013, 03:10 PM
For broadcast multi-track is not important. If you are mixing a band or even vocals (singing) then it may be, it all depends on what you are going to do afterwards with it. If you are live and/or live to tape then there really is no need.

AlBurr
10-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks to all of you for your sage advice. I will be going with the AH XB14 2.

docizzen
10-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Congrats!!! I want to be one of the first to hear or see the vid of your Broad/Podcast my friend. Are you going to set up the cool "ON AIR" lights?

AlBurr
10-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Funny you ask :) I am considering buying one of those Siemens lights...I found one on Ebay... If not that I will definitely be getting something more traditional...even if it's just a manual switch...

docizzen
10-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Ha, I can see the light flashing when a call comes in. :cool: