PDA

View Full Version : Allen and Heath XB14 2

AlBurr
10-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Perhaps a bit overkill for what I am doing but this looks to be an ideal PodCasting mixer. Any thoughts. I tend to go overboard when starting a new venture ... So if you tell me I'm nuts I won't be offended...

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=XBSeries&ProductId=XB142&SubCatId=

Dan Ortego
10-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't have a mixer yet but this is the one I been looking at for the last 2-3 months. Seems to have just about everything one would need and it also appears to be the only peasant-grade 'broadcast' mixer on the market.

Still, there's so much new stuff and bargains coming out in November that I'm compelled to hold off. Besides, I'm still paying off my mic, boom-arm and headphones so I can afford to wait, or at least feel less guilty when I do buy.

AlBurr
10-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Hey Dan... Are there some specific things that are coming out in November? Is that the season for new audio gear? Guess XMas is the season for most new stuff I suppose :)

I am very conflicted at this point... as much as I like the nature of the XB14 I think for the money I am leaning towards the Presonus 16.0.2 digital mixer... Just under a grand and has most of the features that the 16.4.2 has in a smaller form factor...and it appeals to the computer geek in me... Already have good Firewire card so I should be plug and pray...

Dan Ortego
10-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi Al,
Sorry for the misleading remark as I was simply referring to November as the push-month for the holiday sales with extended interest free financing, etc. The more experienced pros here on the forum are a much better source on recommended equipment specific to the trade. Personally, I tend to take advice combined with my own taste and go from there.

andrewzarian
10-13-2013, 04:19 PM
I personally am a fan of Mackie board. the 1402-VLZ4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EA131GK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00EA131GK&linkCode=as2&tag=thgufrquponet-20) is a great mixer.

AlBurr
10-13-2013, 05:14 PM
No apology necessary Dan...I thought that may be want you meant... My background is computers and software and with utmost certainty I can say there always seems to be a better widget just around the corner.

It does seem that podcast specific gear is still quite the niche. When you start looking at true broadcast equipment you very rapidly push the boundaries of sanity for the amateur. The XB10 and XB14 that I've been eying are at the extreme low end it appears...

Everyone here continues to be a great help in my search for knowledge and for that I am extremely grateful. There is no substitute for experience but I will accept and an all advice...and like you must weigh that against my own preferences...

AlBurr
10-13-2013, 05:49 PM
I personally am a fan of Mackie board. the 1402-VLZ4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EA131GK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00EA131GK&linkCode=as2&tag=thgufrquponet-20) is a great mixer.

Thanks Andrew...I have watched a number of your productions and they are very professional. So am supposing that you use this mixer along with a audio interface of some kind?

My interest in the Presonus was a result of seeking a USB Mixer that could multi-track. Alesis used to be in that game but for whatever reason seems to have abandoned it. As I have learned from here and other sites just about every USB mixer outputs the final mix in stereo or 2 tracks. In fact most are still running at the 1.1 spec...which is quite surprising. Like I said to Dan it appears that the market for the ideal, "relatively low-end",podcasting mixer is just too small to attract the manufacturers.

Firewire seems the only way to go since it supports the required bandwidth as USB 2.0 would. Mackie Onyx mixers like the 1640i fit that bill. But my fascination with getting a digital mixer may overwhelm my good sense :) Oh and then there is Thunderbolt...oh will it never end!! :)

andrewzarian
10-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I do not use this mixer for our production. We used a Mackie 1402-vlz3 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN9PF6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000MN9PF6&linkCode=as2&tag=thgufrquponet-20)for about 3 years before moving over to the Axia Radius Console (http://axiaaudio.com/radius)

andrewzarian
10-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Personally I do not recommend USB interfaces on mixers. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them. With that said many people here on the IAIB have never had a problem via USB. I would suggest going with analog input into a decent soundcard

AlBurr
10-13-2013, 07:34 PM
I do not use this mixer for our production. We used a Mackie 1402-vlz3 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN9PF6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000MN9PF6&linkCode=as2&tag=thgufrquponet-20)for about 3 years before moving over to the Axia Radius Console (http://axiaaudio.com/radius)
Wow..now that's a mixer! Maybe if this hobby progresses to a vocation...

andrewzarian
10-13-2013, 07:41 PM
haha it takes time. just like anything else :)

Here is a studio tour if you are interested http://www.gfqnetwork.com/studio/ (http://www.gfqnetwork.com/studio/)

AlBurr
10-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Turns out that Allen and Heath just discontinued the XB14 2. I can still get one but I don't like the idea of getting an item the company no longer has a stake in... I suppose and am not surprised that AH felt that the broadcast mixer market was not for them. So back to the search for me... Shame as I thought they had a good product from the specs at least...and from my newb point of view...

Edit...I may have been mistaken with regard to A&H discontinuing this mixer. It may just be that Sweetwater is mistaken. The XB14 2 was just released in June/july this year and BSW indicated to me that it is not discontinued. The XB14 is an older model. I think BSW is more likely to know about this matter. Stay tuned.

andrewzarian
10-23-2013, 05:02 PM
So are you still getting one? :)

docizzen
10-23-2013, 06:23 PM
I have been researching the Mackie DL1608 and this was the correspondence I received from Mackie. FYI, they kept recommending the Onyx 1640i:

Me:

I am starting a podcast and am researching the best small footprint / mobile option for live and recorded podcasting. I have three mic'd guests and want to set up at least 4 phone/skype call-in interviews.

Ins:
3 mics via XLR
Up to 5 stereo inputs via 1/4" TRS like smartphone, laptop, tablet, etc for Smartphone/Skype/Google Voice/Google Hangout/.mp3

Outs:
four mix-minus "Aux Sends" sending mix-minus back to interview devices for callers
three stereo headphones out for me and 2 studio guest mic mixes (I have the Presonus HP4 headphone amp if that will help)
L & R Monitor out for recording podcast on a Zoom H4n
U-Stream stereo out for live internet stream
Application:
Using this mixer for live and recorded podcast episodes
Hoping the channel effects for each channel, i.e. comp, eq, gate, cause no noticeable latency.
Ability to also send a stream via one of the outs to computer for live internet stream.

Onyx 1640i Link (http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1640i/)

Mackie:

You should be able to accomplish that except for the separate headphone mixes. With the DL1608 you will be able to do one actual headphone mix using Aux sends 5-6.

One mixer you might want to try is the Onyx 1640i. This will get you just about everything you need plus 16x16 firewire connectivity and 4 sub group busses. Only thing is that it is much bigger than the DL1608.

Me:

What about an Audio Interface for podcasting. Perfect solution is to be able to set up live or record, but with unnoticable latency, and do everything as described with just an interface setup and a computer/iPad.

Mackie

There are many interfaces but it will be difficult to get that many aux sends AND that many separate headphone mixes. The 1640i can get you pretty close while having a massive amount of routing options.

Honestly, if I were to end up settling for a large board like the Onyx 1640i, I'm apt to take Mike Phillip's advise and go with the Presonus 16.4.2. for the same price.

AlBurr
10-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Andrew I am waiting for absolute confirmation on the AH XB14 2s status....

Doc... I have considered all of the mixers you mentioned. In fact I had originally decided on the new 16.4.2 Ai due to its flexible interface options and rumors of future video and IP audio expandability but 2 grand and I still need to get a Telephone interface dissuaded me. One thing is that with the new 16.4.2 Ai being introduced the standard 16.4.2s are being sold at a discount or be found more readily used.

AlBurr
10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
UPDATE: I just today heard from AH that the mixer is NOT discontinued. I have placed my order and expect to receive it next week.

Dan Ortego
10-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Hello Al,
I spoke with the folks at Allen-Heath about a month ago and was told that it was still very much in stock. I believe the disconnect is that some of the suppliers that have it listed are still showing the previous model without the Mk-2 photo. I was told if I order it through the usual sources that I would undoubtedly receive the new version, although the supplier sales reps and/or websites may say/show otherwise.

Anyway, let us know how you like it because I'm still vacillating.

AlBurr
10-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Dan... Once I have enough knowledge to assess whether I "should" like it I will pass it on. I will probably do the a classic "unboxing" vid when it arrives...

AlBurr
10-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Just received the new mixer. Hope to have time to unbox it this weekend and play with it...I will keep you all posted.

Dan Ortego
10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Congrats on the new mixer! I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to hearing back from you once you get it up and running.

bigsix
12-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Just received the new mixer. Hope to have time to unbox it this weekend and play with it...I will keep you all posted.

So how do you like the mixer? Like you, I'm just getting started with this and somewhat of a computer geek as well. I've been looking a various mixers for days now. Hard to decide, however, I think I've settled on the Allen & Heath XB10. I really wanted the Presonus, but a bit overkill for what I need (heck, I think the XB10 is too, but what the heck). I'm also still leaning towards the A&H ZED60 10FX. I like the Mackie VLZ4 line, but it doesn't support USB and I would still need to purchase an audio interface and compressor, etc. The XB10 has a built in compressor and limiter.

I hope I get all the cables and accessories I need to get this thing hooked up once I do make a decision.

AlBurr
12-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Well I have the mixer and unfortunately haven't had a chance to use it. Prior to plugging it I want to be certain that the power is clean as I don't want to risk damage. Long story short the Furman power conditioner I have requires a 20amp circuit which I should be getting installed next week. Maybe by the first of the year I will have my first show under my belt...

Dan Ortego
12-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Wow! A 20amp Power Conditioner most certainly will handle anything imaginable but I decided to stick with a 15amp unit and just roll with it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your product review of your mixer after you get it up and running.

AlBurr
12-23-2013, 12:21 PM
OK just an update. I have the electrician coming to the house on Thursday to install the new outlet and breaker. In the meantime I have been setting up all of my various supporting elements. E.G. getting comfortable with Wirecast, Mic technique, WordPress, making my studio look cool :) etc...etc...etc. This hobby sure feeds my OCDisms!! Between screwing around with setting up my social network connections, streaming outlets I am very busy. It's a good thing I don't have any deadlines or commitments or even better expectations :) I am on vacation through 1/6/14 and plan to have my first episode to kick off the new year. Oh crap there's that pressure I was trying to avoid...OK so my show will kick-off when I am damn well ready :)

Dan Ortego
05-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Hello Al,
Did you ever get that A&H 14-2 configured and running? I decided to finally purchase a mixer but I've been pulling my hair out trying to decide on which one. Okay, maybe that was a bad figure of speech. Anyway, haven't heard anything from you so I'm interested in knowing your status with that rig.

AlBurr
05-14-2014, 05:16 PM
It's up and running but overkill for me. I think as usual my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I could have likely been satisfied with a mixer half the price. However given that I haven't yet officially launched my podcast that's still hard to say. The new Behringer X18 looks interesting but it's that new shiny object so caveat emptor... :)

Dan Ortego
05-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Nice Al,
Yes that X18 looks pretty sexy although I couldn't find a price for it anywhere. Clearly, small and portable and very digital is the wave of the future. I'm glad you mentioned overkill on the 14-2 because frankly, you're not alone in the over-the-top club. Heck, I'm now looking at sub $200 units from Behringer. In the end, nobody but us will know the level of gear we actually use.

MovieBuff
05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Nice Al,
Yes that X18 looks pretty sexy although I couldn't find a price for it anywhere. Clearly, small and portable and very digital is the wave of the future. I'm glad you mentioned overkill on the 14-2 because frankly, you're not alone in the over-the-top club. Heck, I'm now looking at sub $200 units from Behringer. In the end, nobody but us will know the level of gear we actually use.

799$ USD
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1028431-REG/behringer_x18_ultra_compact_18_in_12bus_digital_mi xer_ipad.html

Dan Ortego
05-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I see the release date of November, so I opted for the Behringer X1204USB as a modest start-up rig for now. Even so, I do love the rack-mounted format and that alone would sway me in, provided its configurable for mix/minus Skype use.

bigsix
05-16-2014, 06:31 AM
It's up and running but overkill for me. I think as usual my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I could have likely been satisfied with a mixer half the price. However given that I haven't yet officially launched my podcast that's still hard to say. The new Behringer X18 looks interesting but it's that new shiny object so caveat emptor... :)

LOL - same here for me. Kinda what happens to me when I go my favorite BBQ joint, I see all the goodies I like but end up ordering too much. The XB-10 is very nice, but as you stated, "over-kill" for what I need. I too could have gotten by with a unit for about a third of the cost of this one. But oh well, boys and their toys, right? :)

AlBurr
05-16-2014, 05:24 PM
LOL - same here for me. Kinda what happens to me when I go my favorite BBQ joint, I see all the goodies I like but end up ordering too much. The XB-10 is very nice, but as you stated, "over-kill" for what I need. I too could have gotten by with a unit for about a third of the cost of this one. But oh well, boys and their toys, right? :)

Ain't that the truth... I've kept all of the boxes and packing materials for the mixer and may try to get out of it and go a different route. I am not to proud to admit that sometimes I have more money than sense.

Dan Ortego
05-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi Al,
Well, if it's overkill for you then it would have most certainly been overkill for me. I'm now glad that I didn't go that route. My Behringer X1204USB shows up in the morning. :cool:

Dan

AlBurr
05-16-2014, 05:36 PM
I don't know Dan with that ISOBOX of yours I'm surprised I'm not seeing you with a full Axia setup :) BTW the X1204USB was on my short list and probably what I should have gotten in the first place...

Dan Ortego
05-16-2014, 05:40 PM
That's one item that I have no regrets about because of the enormous dust issue I have to deal with here in the desert. I keep my house spotless but dust gets into my MacPro and every other component to such a level that it drives me crazy!

My new Mac/PC will be a rack-mount configuration as well so this thing will get plenty of good use. When I returned from my 2-month vacation I opened up the IsoBox and there wasn't a spot of dust anywhere. I simply replaced the intake filter I made and that was it. However, the grill on my Mac Pro was about fingernail deep of dust because my house sitter was using it while I was gone. The IsoBox Post is best investment of office gear that I've ever made. :o

Sidebar: This week I continued to work on room acoustics so I'll be posting revised studio photos fairly soon.

AlBurr
05-16-2014, 05:43 PM
That's right it was more of a dust issue than a sound issue for you. Perhaps they make a real big box for the house...

Dan Ortego
05-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Again, with my dust issue I would love to have this rig if it can a mix/minus. I know it could handle my recording hobby although I can't figure out whether this thing' has a true Aux Send configurable for Skype. Seems that it would handle my analog mic pre. Anyway, if anyone can figure it out then please chime in.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X32-RACK.aspx

AlBurr
05-22-2014, 12:10 PM
That mixer is surely nice... Hmmm maybe I will sell mine and get that... talk about overkill for me. Have you read this thread as it may help answer your questions:

http://forum.behringer.com/showthread.php?1029-BEHRINGER-TECH-TALK-05-X32-Aux-Inputs-and-Outputs-Explained

Dan Ortego
05-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Well, not really sure as its fairly comprehensive and I took special note of post #10 that states the following:

"By the way the inserts can only be assigned to the Aux outs, not to the Aux ins."

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into this or not. This video seems to suggest that both are assignable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyTS1kdt9-w

Hopefully, Mike Phillips will stumble on this thread and be able to sort it out.

mcphillips
05-22-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm hesitant to weigh in on the Berhinger digital mixer since I have never seen one. In fact, at one point I tried to educate myself on it by contacting John DiNicola, the author of the articles at the link above. He never answers his phone, and he doesn't return calls. At this point, I'll have to stick with what I know, which is the analog mixers.

If Mackie ever adds a USB sound card to its VLZ series mixers, like it has on the ProFX series, I'll probably switch my recommendations from Behringer to Mackie. Mackie's customer support in far better than Behringer's.

It's possible that I may buy an X32 one day since the reviews of them have been generally good. My Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 does everything I need, so the X32 would not provide any new functionality.

Dan Ortego
05-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, as a last ditch effort I contacted my sales rep over at Sweetwater and he will check with some of the pod-nuts that work there. Sad to hear Behringer CS is an unresponsive but I guess for every plus there's an equal minus.

Sidebar: To make my day worse I managed to lose my wallet at Home Depot so I'm going through the drill of canceling cards, etc.

mcphillips
05-22-2014, 07:00 PM
What mixer are you using now, Dan? Didn't we just set up a Behringer? (I really need to start writing this stuff down, I guess.)

Dan Ortego
05-22-2014, 07:10 PM
It's the Behringer X1204USB and it's working just fine. I was simply looking into the Rack Digital Mixer because it takes up less space in my rack, while offering other features that my son and I could use. Certainly nothing I couldn't live without but I was just curious.