PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

Podnutter
10-09-2013, 07:36 PM
I am to start doing some ads on my show but I dont know where to start. I would like to do some sort of affiliate at first.

techzentv
10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Do you have any affiliate accounts yet? If not, you can go somewhere like cj.com and create a free account. There you can search for different programs that fit your show. Another one to check out is linkshare.com, it is like cj.com and has different (and some of the same) advertisers.

After you sign up for some affiliate programs, you need to decide how you are going to embed them into your show. For example, are you going to to an upfront show sponsor ad (commonly called a billboard), a live read in the show or record something to play in the middle of the show.

techzentv
10-10-2013, 08:11 AM
I should have also added that if you know of a site that you want to promote a product from, scroll to the bottom and see if they have their own affiliate program. Also, large sites like amazon have affiliate programs too.

podcastcoach
10-10-2013, 12:03 PM
I talk about this in my book More Podcast Money (http://www.amazon.com/More-Podcast-Money-Passion-ebook/dp/B008EZDVPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381431676&sr=8-1&keywords=more+podcast+money). You need to know your audience (it helps), and it really helps if you can find a product that you can talk about first hand. For example, I use a fit bit. I also use a total gym. My audience can't afford a total gym (I had one sale for $75 commission after promoting it for one year). I make $9 on each fitbit (and I've made triple that). My audience can afford a fitbit (And they are much easier to ship).

So find a product that you can speak honestly about. Find one that fits your audience (and when in doubt ask them). Then you can use plugins like pretty link lite to make "radio friendly" links. For example www.logicalloss.com/fitbit or www.schoolofpodcasting.com/itunes these are much easier to remember than yourwebsites.com/p=?123

I should have also added that if you know of a site that you want to promote a product from, scroll to the bottom and see if they have their own affiliate program. Also, large sites like amazon have affiliate programs too.