PDA

View Full Version : Mouth Sounds

vdegeorge
10-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Years ago I did broadcasting and know a thing or two about mic discipline - controlling my breathing, moving away when I should, keeping a consistent distance, but my co-host, not so much. I still have some bad habits myself and somewhat of a lazy jaw anymore, but he's starting to drive me crazy. Lip smacking and tongue clicks, as well as swallowing, are all issues.

Is there a way to solve this though audio means, because I don't think I'll be able to change his habits? I'm right up on the mic, and he takes that cue from me, but should I tell him to sit back and bump him up on the mixer? He may sound a little too hollow that way, I think.

I use SM7Bs and they tend to pick up everything. I tried to edit some of it out of the audio, and did, but there's so much that a 1+ hour show is a little too daunting.

Any advice.

techzentv
10-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Depending on what you are using for a soundboard, some have a compressor that has an adjustable frequency trigger. If the noises you are talking about are close in frequency you could setup an aggressive compressor around those frequencies so it would not be as jolting when it happens.

You could try listening back with him and pointing out the sounds you are trying to correct.

If that does not work, Petsmart sells these training dog collars that give a corrective shock :)

andrewzarian
10-08-2013, 03:11 PM
How far are you from the mic? 3 to 4 inches is a good spot to be in. Also look into a pop filter for the microphone. It should clean up some of the popping

vdegeorge
10-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Good suggestions. I'm also going to try angling the mic for him some, which is supposed to reduce noise.

mcphillips
10-08-2013, 06:52 PM
The gate on the dbx 286s mic processor, if properly adjusted, can eliminate some of the noise.

TommySulivan
10-09-2013, 12:03 PM
I would back away from the microphone. are you right on top of it?

Podnutter
10-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I had the same problem. When i stopped being on top of the mic the problem stoped :)

oscarmartz
10-23-2013, 05:51 PM
I started using a pop filter and it helped

Voiceguy27
04-25-2014, 10:28 AM
I too, use the Shure SM7B. You might try changing the setting buttons at the back of the mic.........or, you can adjust the sensitivity so that it doesn't pick up the clicky - mouthy sounds. There ARE ways to get around this problem.

Maybe call a recording studio for advice.