PDA

View Full Version : leaving Viblaster for Wirecast

TommySulivan
10-04-2013, 10:41 PM
I just checked out that vidblaster guy and it seems like Tom is now using Wirecast for encoding. This has to be a huge hit to mike and the rest of the Vidblaster community.

It is only a matter of time until he totally starts using Wirecast.

AndrewSeabrook
10-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Tommy, If you listened to Tom's show you would realise that he is EVALUATING Wirecast so that he can do an objective side by side comparison. As a first step he is trialling Wirecast encoder as a replacement for FMLE...not Vidblaster, as Vidblaster is NOT an encoder. He also make the point that for him, he prefers the VB interface to Wirecast.

TommySulivan
10-05-2013, 05:58 AM
That is what they all say. Andrew Zarian said that for almost a year when he was defending his use of Vidblaster. He Loveeeed the interface, that was until he actually started using wirecast as his switcher and guess what.. he never looked back. Brian Brushwood is another perfect example of someone who loveeeddd Vidblasters interface and he went to wirecast and never looked back.

I dont understand this thing about Vidblaster not being an encoder. Both Wirecast and Vidblaster are software based video switchers and they both do encoding. It just so happens that Wirecast handles encoding much better then Vidblaster.

I will put my money on Tom dropping Vidblaster within a year. He isn't a dumb guy and will realize the limitations to Vidblaster

Mike Bluford
10-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Vidblaster does instant replay with slow motion which is great for the sporting events Tom does. Wirecast doesn't have instant replay (at least yet).

AndrewSeabrook
10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Tommy, think of it this way.

Wirecast = Switcher and Encoder/streamer ---all in one package

VidBlaster/vMix = Switcher that talks to FMLE/BigVencoder(FFMPEG)/Hardware encoder/Wirecast which then encodes and streams.

Both VidBlaster and vMix connect at a command level to FMLE, or can output via their Virtual device to FMLE or the other encoders. The only encoding either program does is when saving a video file, in which case they encode to mpeg/mp4/avi/wmv or whatever format the manufacturer has chosen to support.

However in the context of this discussion, the use of the encoder has been in relation to streaming to a CDN, which is what Andrew Zarian had chosen to do for quite a while and which Tom is now evaluating.

andrewzarian
10-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi Tommy,

as Andrew pointed out I was using Wirecast as my encoder for about 8 month before starting to use it as my switcher. Never looked back since making the jump.

TomSinclair
10-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I just checked out that vidblaster guy and it seems like Tom is now using Wirecast for encoding. This has to be a huge hit to mike and the rest of the Vidblaster community.

It is only a matter of time until he totally starts using Wirecast.

As my grandmother used to say, "The proof is in the pudding." But, you never know. She may have been using Andrew Zarian's puddling recipe and a different definition of "proof." :)

TomSinclair
10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
And Andrew Seabrook is correct. VidBlaster does not have any encoding capability of its own. It relies on completely third party encoders.

JackWarner
10-08-2013, 06:25 AM
i wonder if Tom loves VidBlaster's drop frames as much as he loves the interface. he's a smart guy. he'll switch.

jamesdelfresco
10-08-2013, 10:21 AM
I do really like the interface but it is very hard to run on my amd 940 in hd

TomSinclair
10-08-2013, 02:57 PM
You just can't beat VidBlaster for Sports Streaming. Without knowing it, I started with the MOST DIFFICULT sport to stream. Soccer! But, we learned how to do and did it well. The advent of Instant Replay in its various versions made it all the more fun for us as broadcasters and enhanced the experience for our viewers. I never noticed a drop frame or two in all of the excitement.

Now, having paired VidBlaster as a switcher-extraordinaire with Wirecast as an over-the-top encoder, I believe I have found the perfect Sports Broadcasting Solution.

TomSinclair
10-08-2013, 08:20 PM
He isn't a dumb guy...

Thanks, Tommy! <grinning>

sunkast
10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
I never noticed a drop frame or two in all of the excitement.

Tom, what resolution are you broadcasting the soccer game at?

TomSinclair
10-31-2013, 07:47 AM
All the soccer I did was in SD due to the crappy DSL connection at the main stadium and a shared wireless connection at the complex. So just getting a decent SD stream was a challenge.

Amnon
04-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Hi Andrew.
See if you can figure this out. I am using 2.27, Latest Skype, WC as a streamer (but it happens in FMLE the same way), doing SD 4x3. If I start FMLE _before_ a Skype guest connects, the second they connect the picture in WC or FMLE gets "squooshed" side to side (I get black bars on both sides) and it looses the correct ratio. The only way to correct this is to shut the streamer off and restart it. I found out that it also happens when you turn the return video (VVD) in Skype and then turn it back on.
If you start VB, then a guest calls in, then you start WC or FMLE, all is fine, until the Skype connection blips and back to "out of wack' video in the stream.