PDA

View Full Version : Good Audio Cables Make a Difference !

andrewzarian
10-04-2013, 10:23 PM
I know we Techys mock and laugh at the people going and buying monster cables but there is some truth behind buying better (expensive) cables. Im not saying go out and buy monster cables but what I am saying is to do some homework and buy cables that are properly shielded. You also should learn about the proper length certain cables should be.

Example :

I found out that you should not go above 35 feet for RCA cables. You will start picking up noise if the cable isn't "higher quality".

If you have some audio cable tips post it here

Podnutter
10-06-2013, 03:39 PM
How can someone tell if its a good audio cable? I have a bunch here but dont know if one is better than the other

mcphillips
10-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I totally agree that you should buy decent cables. Make sure the connectors are nickel plated and not tin. Some of the very cheapest connectors are pure garbage. A quarter inch plug does not properly mate with a quarter inch jack.

By all means, get a can of Deoxit D5 (http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381102178&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit+d5) spray contact cleaner and conditioner. It's expensive, but you only use a tiny bit on each connection.

You don't have to go overboard. The Hosa cables are usable. A cable with Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors are pro grade. Be very careful not to order really cheap RCA-to-RCA cables. Some that I bought were not even shielded, and there was hard any copper in them. (Some RCA cables are intentionally unshielded, such as those used for speakers.)

Podnutter
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
thanks mike!