PDA

View Full Version : Skype no longer supporting Call recording software

andrewzarian
09-30-2013, 02:41 PM
This was posted by Chris Humphreys over in the Internet Broadcasting group .

We’ve been working hard to develop new technologies and make improvements that will benefit Skype users across all platforms, especially on mobile devices. These changes will significantly improve the call quality and speed of delivery of instant messages, while retaining excellent battery life of mobile devices.

As people are using Skype on more devices, we’re also working hard to create a more familiar and consistent Skype experience across all major platforms.

The Desktop API was created in 2004 and it doesn’t support mobile application development. We have, therefore, decided to retire the Desktop API in December 2013.

If you’d like to provide us with your feedback, simply start Skype and go to Help > Give feedback. Your opinion is important to us and it will help us prioritize potential new features for the Skype users.

Learn more about how this change will affect your Skype certified headset.

Learn more about solutions for Skype’s broadcast partners.

techzentv
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
What is a broadcast partner? I just wish they would get a consistent HD interface for us to use. Does anyone still use the API for skype?

nickmarino
10-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Maybe I'm a dinosaur... but this change is a big deal to me!!! I've been using CallGraph to record my podcast audio via Skype for going on five years now. The fact that Skype is killing the desktop API means CallGraph will (presumably) cease to work at the end of this year.

Frankly, I don't want to record my audio via a mixer and another computer. To me, that makes the process too stationary and requires too much setup and tweaking. Plus, my podcast site features content from others who use CallGraph and they're not technically inclined enough to use anything beyond a simple recording app.

I'd prefer to stick with an all-in-one recording application that grabs the audio from my soundcard and saves it as is. I've looked into Total Recorder, which seems like a decent solution for me. Does anyone use this application?

Any suggestions for good internal recording application on the PC would be greatly appreciated! I'll do the "laptop 1 output to mixer to laptop 2 input" recording method if I HAVE to, but I really don't wanna do it!

(I think there's a chance that Skype might introduce its own proprietary recording add-on for Premium users, and I'd be fine with that. But I wish they'd announce it NOW before I go and test out a bunch of other recording options.)

TommySulivan
10-04-2013, 10:12 PM
This is not good news. What would be the best way to record a two way skype convo?

timothycward
11-07-2013, 06:07 PM
This is not good news. What would be the best way to record a two way skype convo?

Look what I found from Skype:

" Previously we shared that we would retire the Desktop API later this year. However, I’m happy to share that we will be extending support for two of the most widely used features – call recording and compatibility with hardware devices – until we determine alternative options or retire the current solution. Although chat via third party applications, will cease to work as previously communicated."

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/11/06/feature-evolution-and-support-for-the-skype-desktop-api/

PaulSaunders
11-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Wow. this is going to make my life so much easier