PDA

View Full Version : What Makes someone a good Interviewer

oscarmartz
09-30-2013, 11:37 AM
I wanted to see what you guys think makes a good interviewer. I have really gotten into podcasting since joining the IAIB and have stumbled one some great interviewers and some really bad interviewers. Other then the obvious talking ability I cant tell what makes some better then the other.. All I can know is that some people have it and some people dont.. What do you guys thing "IT" is?

Im hoping to improve my interviewing skills based on some of the suggestions and ideas you guys have

Spencer Kobren
09-30-2013, 12:04 PM
I wanted to see what you guys think makes a good interviewer. I have really gotten into podcasting since joining the IAIB and have stumbled one some great interviewers and some really bad interviewers. Other then the obvious talking ability I cant tell what makes some better then the other.. All I can know is that some people have it and some people dont.. What do you guys thing "IT" is?

Im hoping to improve my interviewing skills based on some of the suggestions and ideas you guys have

Just take the time to LISTEN. I see too many guys firing off questions and not really listening to, or responding to what the guest is saying. Don't worry about getting all of your planned questions in…If you make the interview conversational, both your guest and your audience will enjoy the experience much more.

Dan Ortego
09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Not sure that one needs a lot of experience to figure this one out. I've watched hundreds if not thousands of interviews over the course of time and in my opinion it boils down to the personality and energy of the interviewer. By this measure I believe you either have a knack for it or you don't.

I mean, if you come across like Walter Cronkite you're most likely going to put your guests to sleep. Conversely, someone such as Leo L. manages to be quite energetic while being quick on his feet. Okay, I should qualify that by saying I can only take so much of humor in one sitting, so it is a balancing act.

For me personally I struggle these days'. I hate to say it but I think with each passing year, we progressively lose some of our "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah".