PDA

View Full Version : Live stream services - caveat emptor unless you really know what is in store for you

domineaux
09-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Been looking at software options, streaming services and it is very confusing and time consuming. I say that, because sorting out the hype from what is needed is a problem for people new to this type work.

I've looked at Hangouts w/Google plus as a good start. Not too sure about it, except to say it seems a bit amateurish. I'm not saying is, just seems to me.

The Ustream and Livestream have their proprietary software and tools. Their software basically it appears is designed for use with their services.

I've read some comments and seen videos about software tools that are mentioned in the software forum of this forums. Wirecast, vidblaster, etc.

Also, I've been reviewing some of the streaming services and some things make sense for the services. Not enough sense to users. Livestream has a free starter service, but viewers have to login. I've built websites for years and that is always a big no no, if you want to encourage viewers.

THere may be some good sources for information on making intelligent choices about live streaming, but I've not found much to really help. There are things you have to consider, especially when you are looking ahead to enlarge the scope of your video production and presentations. Costs are important, especially starting out.

I found what I think is a very good option, then I realized it was going to get very expensive very fast. I found other services that are wide open with unlimited everything, except bandwidth - LOL

Anyway, I may have missed something and maybe alot. I would appreciate pointers, links and even some recommendations of other persons that are live streaming video and encouraging viewers responses and interviews.

Even youtube has promoted hype about the software tools and hardware for video production. I've watched some 1+ hour podcasts and to be honest who needs all the colloquial BS. It amazes me how corn pon some of the podcasters present their content. Yes, I hate radio talk show hosts as well. They ramble, ramble and digress from topics so often they become a nuisance soon enough. My only fault with informal chit chat, and off topic discussions is the time it eats. I'm not much of BSer myself, since I am always busy. So, naturally I have alot of respect for producers of content that think about their content, work with scripts to save viewers time and competently get their points across.

In all fairness, I have enjoyed some podcasts and videos that are excellent presentations. The host has clearly defined points and materials to cover and does a good job of keeping guests on track as well. I guess these are developed skills.

Recently, I purchased a Behringer Xenyx X2442 USB mixer. I watched a 3 part youtube series on the mixer, which was pretty good as far as explaining mixer functions...

http://youtu.be/hM3E0bty_Pg

http://youtu.be/u3M7n4K-3-I

http://youtu.be/jheifH1zSUw

Yet, there was no discussion of installation, drivers or system configurations that are important. This kind of thing is common on youtube AFAIKT. All the unboxing videos and reviews for the most part are just marketing blurb that people use to get special prices or free stuff from the manufacturers. This is a major annoyance, because you watch for 10 minutes...before you realize there is no viable content.

I'm not trying to run on here. I am seeking to know about good live stream service that I can grow with and not get into some very expensive monthly fee structure. Viewers will return to the places where they have accessed the videos previously, if they like the content. It is not good to move around and put limitations on viewers of your videos or podcasts.

MovieBuff
09-22-2013, 08:48 PM
I know exactly how you feel.

Youtube Live: It's free. All you need is 100 Youtube subscribers, activate the live stream function and you can broadcast live.

Unrelated: Open Broadcaster Software(OBS): Is completely free and open source. The software is for switching, recording and live streaming.

techzentv
09-23-2013, 07:39 AM
domineaux,

For ustream and livestream, you are correct they do have their own software but you are not forced to use it. Most software like wirecast, vidblaster, OBS, vmix, xsplit broadcaster and many more can setup a stream to both ustream and livestream. Don't feel like you have to use their software.

Almost all of the CDN's have a free option but it normally includes adding in advertising to your stream. Some only at the beginning and others even throughout. Ustream's free option will play an ad in the beginning and will display banner ads on the bottom and in the middle of your stream it will cut in and play an ad. Very annoying.

Youtube live is free and a great option. Also check out dailymotion as an option. I have been streaming with them for just over a week and it is pretty nice.

I did an episode on Church Technology last week about streaming services, granted it was designed for churches and has one or two that are specific services for churches but it covers most of the well known ones: http://tech-zen.tv/episodes/shows/churchtech/episodes/streaming-your-sermon-episode-4

cseeman
09-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Ustream's Producer is a service specific version of Wirecast.
YouTube's Wirecast for YouTube is more obviously a service specific version of Wirecast.
They both work with the "service open" version of Wirecast which even has Easy Setups for both of the above.

Livestream only wants you to use their encoder. You can use Wirecast Virtual Camera Output to go into their encoder though.

Outside of Livestream, most services work with most encoders since the encoders follow standards.
Some services provide their own free encoders just to give you a low cost way of getting started.

There's a huge number of services out there and they all have advantages/specialty features. It can take time to discern what's important to you and/or your audience though.

With Wirecast you can stream to multiple services at the same time if you have the bandwidth and the system resources. You can stream to Ustream, JustinTV, YouTube at the same time and see what you and/or your audience prefers to use.

Wirecast currently has Easy Setups for 18 services (last I counted) included and it's easy to use Adobe FMLE XML import for others and there's the option for other services to "partner" so they can develop Wirecast Easy Setups as well.

It would be a bit overwhelming to list the specifics of each service (and that's what's generating the confusion and complexity I suspect) but they range from

Free with ads (and different ways of handling ads)
Free with sign in
Payment plans from as you go to monthly to annual to views or bandwidth
Pay per view and a plethora of ways to handle that
House of Worship specific
Sports specific
Game play focused
Different ways of handling embed code
Different ways of chat support
Different ways of social media integration
Some have their own encoders as options
Some have "studio" style features for multiple sources, titles, etc.

It's important to understand that there's no "best" but what's "best for your needs."
Sometimes knowing what you/your audience needs can take time and it's not uncommon for people to change services as their shows develop and change.