PDA

View Full Version : Organizing your studio I need your Tips

oscarmartz
09-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Hello everyone. I am of dedicating one of the rooms in my house to record my podcast ( a studio) Right now everything is a mess. Wires going everywhere. Computer stuff hanging everywhere. I would like some tips as to getting organized I want to do the best cable management I can

Dan Ortego
09-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Strip the room and start from scratch with a goal of reducing your stuff by 1/4 or greater. If it isn't functional or if it's something you only use once a month, then move it out.

TommySulivan
09-14-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree with Dan. Start from Scratch and clean it up. I recently did that to my office and i was shocked at the amount of wires i removed

Podnutter
09-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree clean up what you dont use and get it out of there. Good cable management goes a long way.

techzentv
09-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Velcro wire straps are your friend!

Dan Ortego
09-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Yes, I agree cable management is an art. I've seen some studio tours' that look like a Fire Marshal's worst nightmare! Conversely, I’ve seen a couple of studio vids were some of us Pagans have invested in studio grade furniture. Typically, these include built-in wire routing channels, and spacious work surfaces vs. particleboard variants.

Of course the downside is that pro-grade stuff is ridiculously expensive, so I guess it just depends on our priorities. Now, I also agree that content is key, although I have a hard time taking a webcast seriously when a studio is untidy or filled with toys. At a minimum, folks may consider losing their troll dolls, scattered magazines, action heroes, and even those cool looking lava lamps.

podcastcoach
09-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Only use the size cable you need. No 20 foot cables cause they are cheaper than the 10 foot cables. One of the best ideas come from Max from Airplane Geeks. He strapped his mixer to an ironing board, clamped on a mic stand, and everything folds up nice and tidy. He also gets to podcast standing up.

Dan Ortego
09-26-2013, 03:59 PM
An ironing board, mixer and a mic? 'Lions Tigers, and Bears Oh my!' (sorry, couldn't resist). Anyway, I searched the web and could only find audio for his broadcast though it sounded surprisingly good, so whatever works is all that matters I suppose. It would never work for me as I have a disability that won't allow me to stand for more than five minutes at a time.

Either way it's quite humbling so I'll keep this in mind every time I want to buy another new widget. Now, as an institutional gear-head it probably won't stop me, but at least I'll think about it.