PDA

View Full Version : To upgrade to Wirecast 5 will cost ya!

JaseRossi
09-12-2013, 09:12 AM
It is official! To upgrade to Wirecast 5 Studio it will cost you $129 and for Pro $295. Wirecast 5 will be available later Q3 2013.

What does everyone think of this? Should it have been a free update or is the cost fair?

http://www.telestream.net/company/press/2013-09-12.htm

andrewzarian
09-12-2013, 09:39 AM
I think its a reasonable price. There was no price increase from v.3 to V.4 . I think its only fair to pay since many people Since this is the first price upgrade in 5 years.

sunkast
09-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I agree with Andrew. Sure no body likes paying for an upgrade. But it's not like they are charging you an arm and a leg for the upgrade in comparison to the full price of the software. If they didn't offer a big upgrade discount I would be really unhappy.

oscarmartz
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
If people dont want to pay they can use a number of free solutions that are out there. I think its a great price to upgrade the software. BTW no one is forcing you to upgrade

cseeman
09-12-2013, 03:23 PM
They kept feeding the coders pizza but then someone asked for extra cheese so Telestream had to charge to cover the costs. :)

JaseRossi
09-12-2013, 05:38 PM
I think the pricing is VERY fair. I will for one be upgrading day one. I can not wait for this upgrade! :)

TommySulivan
09-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Very excited to try this out. the price is great. Vidblaster cost half the value ... Meaning if you have the broadcaster edition it will cost a grand to upgrade....

Linuxcooldude
09-16-2013, 09:45 AM
I think its more than fair for an upgrade considering quite a few were free. I'm definitely going to upgrade on this.

ronknights
09-28-2013, 04:47 AM
I think it's fair to charge for the upgrade. I haven't done a live broadcast in years. I won't be getting the upgrade.

andrewzarian
09-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Wirecast 6 is also going to cost you .

Pricing and Availability
Wirecast 6 will be released in Q4 2014, and will be unveiled to the public for the first time at the International Broadcast Conference (IBC) on stand 7.C12. Wirecast Studio is priced at $495. Wirecast Pro, priced at $995, adds support for more advanced production features and additional input sources. Customers who currently own Wirecast can upgrade to Wirecast Studio 6 for $149 and to Wirecast Pro 6 for $295.

TomSinclair
09-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Received a note from Wirecast Sales today that the upgrade fee for WC4 to WC6 will be $199 for Studio. The $149 fee is for WC5 to WC6. Not sure on Pro upgrade pricing. Asking for clarification now.

AlBurr
09-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Hmmm owned V5 less than a year and it will cost me nearly 300 bucks to update to the latest version... That seems a little excessive but hey if they can get it then great....probably not from me anytime soon however...

For that amount of money I may have to switch to vMix...

cseeman
09-10-2014, 06:43 AM
That's the Pro upgrade price just to be clear.

Many of the new features are must have for some. Playlist including live camera play listing, Replay with slow motion, Direct iPhone camera support..., some people require these features for their shows. Recoverable file is mandatory for a professional. So would Audio Preview monitoring. You may want to look at how deep the Playlist and Replay features are. Third party title integration with NewBlueFX is also important (and an additional purchase). It really depends on what you actually need for your streaming but, from what I hear, these features are "must have" for a lot of people.

Granted if price is the most important thing than vMix is good for the money.

AlBurr
09-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Yes I own Pro now. I can certainly appreciate the value provided in the new version and have looked at all of the eagerly anticipated features. Those feature are something that I would like to have.

I just wish they offered an annual maintenance program that provided support and upgrades. The current plan for 199 just gives you a 25% discount and business hour (8hr) support, which imho is not a great value.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/537/3sxOhG.png

It is common practice with enterprise software to charge anywhere between ~14-25% annually for maintenance that covers updates/upgrades and 24x7 tech support. I have worked in the software business for over 25 years and this seems a little out of line with the common practice. But then again I may be comparing apples to oranges as Wirecast is more pro-sumer oriented whereas my experience is in enterprise software.

Bottom-line is that I would be happy to pay 199 a year to get the aforementioned level of support. I also believe Telestream would find many who agree and they would benefit financially from such a change. Well my opinion anyway :)

cseeman
09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Great comments. I'll go rattle their cages on that.

AlBurr
03-01-2015, 09:32 PM
They ending up getting my money in the end...just took a little longer :)

cseeman
03-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Wirecast 6 is just too irresistible. ;)
Instand Replay and Playlist are probably more powerful than some expect once they get familiar with them.

ronknights
06-29-2015, 06:52 AM
I was almost ready to pay for the upgrade to the current version. Telestream was kind enough to give me a complimentary free copy many years ago. I stopped doing live shows years ago. Part if the reason was that my Mac Mini was pretty underpowered for the task.

Now I have a new 27" iMac with much better specs. The $199 upgrade price gives me reason to question the possibility. I'd like to one day start a new live show. In the meantime I'd love to learn more about using the newest version of Wirecast. I'm on a limited, fixed income, and $200 is a lot of money for a "curiousity."

cseeman
06-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Depending on what version you're coming from, there's been a wealth of changes. I'd need to know where you're coming from to list them.