PDA

View Full Version : Are Celebrities Hurting Podcasting?

Podnutter
09-07-2013, 11:26 AM
I just got done listening to this weeks IAIB Spotlight with Spencer Kobren and a very interesting topic was brought up. Andrew asked Spencer if he thinks Celebrities are hurting podcasting for the every day podcaster. I remember in the early days you could go on iTunes and find a new podcast from a unknown podcaster. This would make them an instant star.. but now all you get is celebrities or already established broadcasters.

I think its hurting it for us. big businesses have the ability to link up and build close relationships with the content distribution companies ( iTunes, youtube...)

What do you guys think? are the Adam Carollas and all the other Celebrities hurting it for us little guys?

brianmonroe
09-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Podnutter,

I disagree. I think if anything it is helping bring awareness to the medium of Internet Broadcasting. The way I see it the Adam Carolla's, Glen Beck, Tom Leykis and others are bringing their audience with them and getting them to see that it is not hard at all to consume the content. Here is the thing, once their audience gets used to watching and listening to content the new way they can and do start to explore what else is out there.

In the case of iTunes, they can then go back and see what is "new and noteworthy" or just browse what shows are like the ones that they are watching/listening to. This is where having your show well listed and having really compelling artwork is going to be important.

It is not just iTunes, many places where Internet Broadcasts are found you can browse around and see what else is out there.

While it is true that the golden age is for the most part over where the only people who knew how to produce, distribute and view/watch shows online where the geeks/nerds I do not think it is a bad thing.

The same thing happened with photography and desktop publishing when it was just the nerds who knew how to use Photoshop and Pagemaker, QuarkXpress and other tools. But now, we see lots of people doing amazing things. It is not just for the pros anymore. Of course some will complain about Instagram and other tools but the thing is that at least now we all can have a voice and share what we are passionate about.

Dan Ortego
09-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi Brian,
That's certainly insightful, and encouraging perspective for those of us that are just testing the waters.