PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing a Miixer for setting up to podcast w/skype interviews ability

domineaux
08-18-2013, 06:17 PM
I will need to do skype and record skype w/one computer. I have two computers, (desktop&Laptop) but I will be doing alot of work outside the studio.

1) I found a new allen and heath ZED10FX mixer @$219 USD. It does have aux send 1x pre, (channel 1-10) but I'm not sure this will do the mix minus properly. I could use some input on this.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZED10FX

2)Behringer Xenyx X1222USB @ $229 USD This mixer has aux send 1x pre and 1x post. It think it should do what I need.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X1222USB

3)Yamaha MW12CX @ $279, This mixer has aux 1 x pre/post. It think it should do what I need as well.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MW12cx

I know the Allen and Heath is probably the highest rated mixer and the price is attractive. Yet, if it won't do what I need to do it isn't a bargain.

If you read this, and have some experience or familiarity with any of these mixers I would appreciate to read what you have to say. :confused:

These three mixers have effects, which are not important to me. I realize to get some features you need you have take some features you don't need in the smaller mixers.

If you have another suggestion I would appreciate to read it. I started to purchase a smaller mixer, but for the additional $50 or so I thought it would be worth it to have some expansion ability. My target for first time mixer purchase is $300 or less.

Brutish Sailor
08-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Ok, something you need to understand right now.

Make sure the mixer you get has ON BOARD SOUND PROCESSING if you want to do usb.

Some mixers (I'll use the Behringer 1204 in particular) have horrible onboard sound processing. If you are HELLBENT on using USB for audio recording, hands down you want an alexes multi-mix. Best one for sound processing through USB I have found. Specifically the multimix 8 I have a lot of experience, and will give positive reviews for (Though I HATE the british EQ's)

My buddy's radio stations audio at 64kbps MP3, using no DSP stacks, except The multimix 8's on board processing: http://loudcity.com/stations/kol-california

He runs some older songs with bad recordings, but it is what it is, sounds better than most stations running 128kbps mp3

Its less than what your looking for on your budget, portable, durable, and Easily handles the functions your looking for. Plus the fact that you can take advantage of that 16bit sound processing onboard leaves you with a lot of opertunitys. Half the battle is setting it up right, and remember that when you plug it in, Set THE MIXER in your computers functions as your audio source.

Go to your local music mac. Try it. Get a feel. You may hate it. I will tell you right now, that Your going to get a bit of hiss from X1222USB. I personally like my 1204, but I dont use it for source 24/7, and I use the main outs with analog so I can pop that audio through some processing. Recording from USB with most of the Xeynx series has been bullshit, because their "USB" consisted of hooking up the audio cord on that little usb to connect it to main out. Thats why most USB recordings are so quiet on cheaper devices. When you see "USB AUDIO DEVICE" instead of a named device in your source directory, that device is NOT truely what your looking for. If I had one mobile mixer to do what you want to do? Multi-mix 8. NOT THE PRO, waste of money. You want the regular multi-mix 8 USB FX. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MM8USBFX?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CKaRl7nQiLkCFS9dQgod634ABQ

Brutish Sailor
08-18-2013, 09:25 PM
OH, and forget the aux sends. Welcome to the age of the smartphone.

Use a 2 channel stereo line in, plug your cell into the 3.5 mm jack, and stereo out that thing to duel 1/4 TS connections. Its onboard audio routes are designed for people that use their phones through their stereo aux's in cars. It wont loop your voice in the audio.

Just plug it in, get a mount, put your phone on it, and route it directly to the mixer. When you talk to them, your voice gets routed into the phone, and the mic. Your voice wont playback through the audio of the phone. One earphone one talking to them on and off the air. To talk to them? Your mic down and hit the "Stereo" button on the phone. You can run skype off a smart phone. Saves a lot of headache with trying to route audio with the aux sends.

Brutish Sailor
08-18-2013, 10:07 PM
http://beattransit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/20130818_220128-e1376888687635.jpg

There you go. Car phone mount attatched to pop screen mount using duct tape. Mobile as hell. Easy to maintain eye contact with skype video caller. When you need a sound board? Use the phone. When you need to que up a sample fast and easy? Touch screen sound board makes it a snap.

domineaux
08-19-2013, 09:06 AM
I have focusrite audio interface. Both Focusrite and multimix come with Cubase. I will look into the multimix 8 for sure.

Thank you very much for excellent response postings.

domineaux
08-19-2013, 04:52 PM
I bought the Alesis Mixer MultiMix 8 USB FX. I appreciate the tips. There are soooo many opinions on mixers. I was buying a cable at a music store and got the whimsical "why would you buy that mixer for podcast, it is for music". LOL

andrewzarian
08-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Im a big fan of keeping it simple. the Mackie 1402 VLZ3 (http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-1402-VLZ3-14-Ch-Compact-Recording/dp/B000MN9PF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376966955&sr=8-1&keywords=mackie+1402-vlz3+mixer&tag=thgufrquponet-20) is a great mixer and has two aux sends. If you're looking for something a little larger go with the Behringer XENYX X2442USB (http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-X2442USB-Premium-24-Input-Compressors/dp/B0037036QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376967047&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+2442&tag=thgufrquponet-20)

mcphillips
08-19-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't have time to do a full response at the moment, but I do not agree with Brutush Sailor's recommendations on several levels.

Brutish Sailor
08-20-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't have time to do a full response at the moment, but I do not agree with Brutush Sailor's recommendations on several levels.

You got me interested.

Dan Ortego
08-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Well Mike, thanks for keeping us hanging! Yes, I'm kidding, although I too am interested in your response. I'm still flipping coins on a mixer, or in my case, several dollars'.

Regards,
Dan

oscarmartz
08-22-2013, 05:58 AM
I also would like to hear from Mike on this topic

mcphillips
08-22-2013, 07:35 PM
On board sound processing - most podcasters don't need any processing much less on board processing. The number one action I take to get people to clean up their audio is to get rid of their gate/limiter/compressor rigs. The one processor I like is the dbx 286s, but only for the gate.

Multimix 8 - Uses rotary faders instead of sliding faders. It's not a bad mixer. The Multimix USB 2.0 (with multitrack USB) is probably discontinued.

Behringer X1222USB - I consult with MANY people who use Berhinger mixers. Not one has a hiss problem.

Behringer USB Outputs - Some people claim to have problems with Behringer USB, but I never have, and I have worked with a LOT of them. The Behringer USB A/D converter uses an excellent chip. It's the same circuit as in the UCA202. Check online reviews.

USB Audio Devices - The devices can be renamed in Windows 7. Not a problem.

Aux Sends - Every professional broadcasting organization uses mix-minus for telco, Skype, ISDN, BlueBox. Internet broadcasters usually create mix-minus with aux sends and subgroups.

It appears you're using an AKG Perception condenser mic. Most Internet broadcasters need to stay far away from condenser mics.

All that being said, you're doing what works for you, and that's great. However, most of us here disagree with much of your advice. You're welcome to have an express your opinion even though it's contrary to ours, but a little consideration for the opinions of others will go a long way.

Even though they're cheaply made, I recommend Behringer mixers. The value is tremendous. I use a Presonus 16.4.2, but most of what I do with that $1500 mixer can be done with a $350 Behringer X2442USB. Mackie is my second choice. Since we use a lot of external sources (multiple Skypes, SIP, Google Voice), we use a lot of aux sends/mix-minuses. I can create 8 on the Presonus.