PDA

View Full Version : Best Camera for video podcast

Podnutter
08-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I am looking to start doing a video version of my podcast and want some advice on cameras. I do not want to go with a webcam. What would be the best camera to buy under 500 dollars?

domineaux
08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I am looking to start doing a video version of my podcast and want some advice on cameras. I do not want to go with a webcam. What would be the best camera to buy under 500 dollars?

I use a Sony HDR SR12 handycam for post edit videos. It cost around $1,300 when I bought it. You might pick one up for alot less now off ebay or craigslist.

Recently, for podcasting I bought a C920 Logitech Webcam. The picture quality is very improved, but the camera audio is very amateurish. Setting up for live streaming podcast is very easy to do with this camera as well. If you spend some time looking at videos from podcasters you will find there are many that are using webcams. Some internet video producers are using webcams as well. Remember lighting is always very important with video. You can do some very competent video with a webcam, properly set on a tripod with good lighting.

My camcorder is very difficult to setup for podcasting and live streaming, because it has HTML and USB outputs. The USB and HTML from the camcorder to the computer has a latency sound problem. Firewire connections are needed and they are now a thing of the past with more recent camcorders in the under $1,000 price range.

I resolved the latency sound issue for live streaming with my camcorder by buying a $200 video capture card and 2i2 Scarlett audio interface. This was a $350 solution. After working with the C920 webcam I realized there was a lot more I could do with it than I originally thought.

Dan Ortego
08-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Has anyone tried the 'Logitech Broadcaster' by just using the video function while using you own mic, pre, interface etc.? I mean, for those of us with a MacPro, the available options seems to be limited. I'm currently using the older version FaceVision webcam but the video quality isn't that good.

andrewzarian
08-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I have never used the Logitech Broadcaster but I wouldn't be too keen on using anything thats wireless. The Logitech c920 is currently the best webcam on the market.

andrewzarian
08-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Let me just add that anything wireless will have some latency issues. Also if you are using another source for the audio you might have audio sync issues

oscarmartz
08-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Anything thats around 300-400 dollars will be much better then any webcam on the market

Dan Ortego
08-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks Andrew as that helps a lot. Unfortunately, the C920 isn't certified to work on a Mac so I guess I'll try the C615.

andrewzarian
08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Dan the c920 will work. I use it all the time on the a Macbook Pro. the only issue is that you need to download an app called Webcam settings from the Mac app store to control the color settings

Dan Ortego
08-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks again Andrew, as I will do just that!

Sidebar: Oh, regarding those $300-$400 cameras, I'm sure they are better although I'm a bit too green to know the in's and out's of those options.