PDA

View Full Version : Vidblaster version 3 is awful

oscarmartz
08-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I am amazed that version 3.14 is the release version of Vidblaster.

No Playlist, Recorder module is missing recording formats and bitrate settings.

I was a big supporter of the Vidblaster supporter until now. Mike Versteeg has total dropped the ball on this one and I really think many people will be moving over to Wirecast once they see all the new features in Version 5 (coming soon)

sunkast
08-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. On top of that you're paying thousands of dollars for it... with missing features.

TomSinclair
08-02-2013, 04:22 PM
@Oscar - you appear to be parroting my comments about version 3 from my July 17th show (link below).

Yes, version 3 is missing the Playlist, and the Recorder is missing some of the familiar file formats, but that in no way means Version 3 is "awful."

On the contrary, Version 3 is a huge step forward in the ongoing improvement of VidBlaster. It shows dramatic improvements in CPU utilization, several modules re-written to optimize performance (Camera, Streamer, Recorder, Player), and, for sports broadcasters, adds the Instant Replay Playlist module. And more (see here (http://forum.vidblaster.com/showthread.php?p=28789#post28789)).

Not having a Playlist module in V3 means that many licensed users will choose to not to upgrade at this time. But Version 2 has the Playlist and it is readily available for folks that need that feature. Not having the Recorder module file format choices in V3 means that users needing this feature will delay their V3 update.

I use (and have used) V3 since its first public beta. I am currently using V3.14, the official release of V3, with no issues and enjoying much more CPU headroom than ever before.

Now... Does VidBlaster V3 need Playlist? Yes... and no. Playlist will return, but in the form of the Playout module. Playlist on steroids, if you will. Timed and scheduled playout of videos and audio files gives the user the ability to run a TV or radio station from their PC. This feature will be awesome AND worth waiting for.

Does the Recorder module need additional file format and bit rate options? Of course. And I would expect that this, too, is in the works.

And here's one of the beautiful things about VidBlaster. These features might be released in the very next beta... open for all to see, try and critique. No need to wait for a major version release to get access to these great features.

Was it a mistake to release an official V3 now? Maybe. But that does not make this version of VidBlaster "awful," it just makes it incomplete. And I disagree with your comment that people will abandon VidBlaster in favor of Wirecast. While both programs may accomplish the same purpose, Wirecast is significantly different in its approach and does not have the intuitive interface of VidBlaster (or the Tricaster that VidBlaster was modeled after). New broadcasters may (and should) look at both, but most experienced VidBlaster users will be thrilled with the major improvement found in V3.

http://youtu.be/MjNQVcCQKdA

oscarmartz
08-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Tom thank you for taking the time to reply to this post. I have been using Vidblaster for some time now and can tell you that version 3 is not stable. Crashes, Video recording issues, removal of features and lack of custom settings(streaming and recording formats) just to name a few. Every person that I have spoken to that has upgraded to version 3 feels ripped off and taken advantage of. Mike has really hurt the future of his company.

Moral is low amongst Vidblaster customers. That is not a good thing when Wirecast 5 is around the corner... Its also a fraction of the cost

Podnutter
08-03-2013, 12:31 PM
I have been using Wirecast for 3 years now and was always interested in Vidblaster. I was very excited to hear about all the changes that were coming to Viblaster and was going to finally buy a copy of broadcaster for my company. We have been looking to create a weekly video demoing new products for our sales team. We downloaded the trial and started using it. Way too many issues. our recording freezes every few minutes. the other time we tried it crashed mid show. I understand the concept of beta but to sell this to your customers is wrong. Top it all off his forum is run like a concentration camp.

Its really upsetting because Vidblaster could have been something great.

TomSinclair
08-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Moral is low amongst Vidblaster customers. That is not a good thing when Wirecast 5 is around the corner... Its also a fraction of the cost

Oscar: On the contrary, my VidBlaster customers are very excited about the new features especially Macros and the huge control through the API. I am seeing a large number of V3 upgrade requests. I am expecting that VidBlaster v3 will continue to please.

I would be happy to help you with any issues you are having with VidBlaster. I suspect they may be relatively easy to straighten out. I will send you a PM with my email & phone contacts.