PDA

View Full Version : So, who's living off podcasting?

bushido
07-31-2013, 09:03 AM
obvious person aside, who here is making a living wage equivalent from podcasting? I'm not talking about a brand new car and house all from podcasting, I'm alluding to just keeping the lights on, cable bill paid and food coming in. Before you ask, I myself already have another income, I make zero from podcasting and don't mind that at all because it's a fun hobby.

andrewzarian
08-01-2013, 02:02 PM
"Podcasting" has been my full time job since 2010. 2011 we starting making money. 2012 I starting making a good living. I never went into it thinking this will be a full time thing but it turned out that way

mcphillips
08-03-2013, 05:18 AM
You can count the number of people in the US who are making a living by podcasting on one hand. Podcasting is a great adjunct to a business, but as far as living from it, few people are willing to make the sacrifice it takes to transition the "valley of death" (no money) to get to the profitable side. Anyone who does it for a living is doing it as a FULL time job. This "four hour work week" nonsense that at least one slimy podcasting "consultant" advocates is pure folly.

oscarmartz
08-03-2013, 02:37 PM
If i made a 100 dollars a week I would be happy. I would love to know if there are more people here on the IAIB making a living from Podcasting.

TomSinclair
08-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Not a full time job (yet) but I keep more than I spend. :)

bushido
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks all, informative as usual.

oscarmartz
08-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Question for all of you. what is an average income a podcast can make.

brianmonroe
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
bushido,

I think you have it backwards. Instead of looking to make money off of Internet Broadcasting, look at doing it as a hobby 1st. See how you like it and how successful you can be without the money. Then you can start to look for ways of making money with your new skills. You never know, you may meet some interesting people who can lead to other job offers outside the world of Internet Broadcasting. The same advice I would look to give someone who is looking to get in to any other creative art such as Acting, Directing, Painting or Music. The ones that do it well and are able to make a living from it long term are few. Some just have a natural talent and others are just lucky to be in the right place at the right time or they have great looks and/or a great voice so they are able to get by on that as a start.

-Brian

MyTakeRadio
08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
If I make a couple of bucks its a stretch. Do I spend more then I make on my show? Absolutely! I enjoy doing live shows and connecting with listeners. While I wish we made enough to cover the basic expenses the fact is I like doing it. I will say that managing the show and the site plus staff can be extremely stressful but seeing consume and say they enjoy my ramblings is a nice trade off.

brianmonroe
08-08-2013, 10:56 PM
MyTakeRadio,

Exactly! You do it for the fun of it. If you can get money, great! But you have found a good balance to make it work for you. As for the stress, that is something that goes along with many jobs I have seen. The key is to manage it and understand that you do not need to be perfect or do it all on your own. Sometimes it can also mean scaling back what you do. In the end, Just have fun and enjoy this unique time in history where your voice can be heard without censorship or controls about what you can say or for how long you can say it.

- Brian

bushido
08-10-2013, 12:52 AM
bushido,

I think you have it backwards. Instead of looking to make money off of Internet Broadcasting, look at doing it as a hobby 1st. See how you like it and how successful you can be without the money. Then you can start to look for ways of making money with your new skills. You never know, you may meet some interesting people who can lead to other job offers outside the world of Internet Broadcasting. The same advice I would look to give someone who is looking to get in to any other creative art such as Acting, Directing, Painting or Music. The ones that do it well and are able to make a living from it long term are few. Some just have a natural talent and others are just lucky to be in the right place at the right time or they have great looks and/or a great voice so they are able to get by on that as a start.

-Brian

Before you ask, I myself already have another income, I make zero from podcasting and don't mind that at all because it's a fun hobby.But I do understand where you're coming from and appreciate the advice none the less.

andrewzarian
08-12-2013, 03:07 PM
I agree with Brian. You should first build your brand and your content. If you are able to create an audience you will be able to generate income. First you need the viewers.

bushido
08-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I agree with Brian. You should first build your brand and your content. If you are able to create an audience you will be able to generate income. First you need the viewers.
I can honestly say I'll never get paid from podcasting, I don't have the personality to attract a large following.

brianmonroe
08-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Andrew,

Thanks! :) Watching how GFQ has grown over the years I can see you have done just that. I will also say that I like the changes that you have made in the studio over the years in the layout and look. Reinvestment is important to keep the audience around.

Bushido,

Like me and Andrew are saying. Just have fun with it. Do not get stressed out about trying to have a large audience. Sometimes being a niche show can have it's own rewards. You can get to really know your audience better along with do more custom shows. So instead of just broadcasting you can also be listening too via the various social media networks. Let your audience become your advocates. You will find that there are people that are Internet Broadcasting fans that may be listening to other networks or shows but have not found you yet. Where they will like not just being a number to one of the larger networks where they do not get noticed at all. In your case, you may almost want to keep it small. Like an exclusive club of people that get you and your message. The point is that you need to just have fun.

-Brian