PDA

View Full Version : A question for mr.zarian and any other high end network owners.

bushido
07-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Questions for andrew and any other professional network owners here,
Do you hold shows on your networks under contract?
Is this even necessary or usual at the internet broadcast level?
And if so, how extensive should the contract be?

In terms of the last question, should it be as simple as a non compete (only broadcast on said network) or should it be more complex and cover more ground?
Thank you for answering

andrewzarian
07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
If you're not making money there is no need for a contract. I consider GFQ more of a family environment. I only bring shows on that I know will click with us. with that said when we bring a show on the network both sides discuss what they expect and what would happen if things didnt work out. So far we have never had an issue.

Non Competes are silly for podcasting. Unless you're paying me high six figures you wont get me to agree to one.

thetechbuzz
07-26-2013, 09:17 AM
As myself, embarking on a newly formed network, I get a lot of feedback from both friends, family, show owners. If they aren't paying to be on the network for your time to produce their show. They do a show at a scheduled time that is good for both parties, there is no need for contracts. If you start bring in money or have a network sponsor like I have, since they aren't paying to be on the network, the option is I make the money on the ads they run, or do a 75 - 25 split. It's your network, it's your audience, it's your time, it's your equipment. Remember, they need you, if they thought they could do it, they wouldn't be asking you to produce their show. Something drew them to you. I agree with Andrew, non compete would be foolish. But I would re-evaluate the show at the beginning of every year, if they can't afford to pay you for your time, and want to remain on the network, then they may be paying with the ad money.

bushido
07-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks all, my reason for asking is I've run into a collective of folks, one being a former wcw-nwa guy, who would like to start up a group of shows. as I stated before, I DO NOT want to run a network...I don't want the head ache. but I would definitely like to make this happen as professionally as possible.

mcphillips
07-26-2013, 02:49 PM
There are plenty of "networks" that would love to have the content. If your folks are willing to pay someone to be on their network, it could be a lot cheaper and a lot more professional than doing it themselves.

A contract should be long enough to cover the matters that need to be addressed. No one in his right mind would sign a non-compete unless there was a lot of money on the table.

bushido
07-26-2013, 02:55 PM
explain how paying the network would work, and does it benefit the paying show?
I'm all for connecting people to who can mutually benefit each other, even if I'm not directly involved. I would however LOVE to be credited or rewarded somehow for the effort.

mcphillips
07-26-2013, 05:38 PM
There are networks that will allow your show to appear on their stream for an amount of money per hour. Other podcasting studios will produce your show for you and stream it to your own content delivery network. In the second case, your show does not appear on their stream. They serve merely as the producer.

I don't know what you want credit for, but you could work that out with your friends.

bushido
07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
hi phillips, I guess when I say credit I mean to be mentioned for making the connection happen.lol
The purpose of this thread is to ask for advice on starting a network. Because as I said, someone I recently met is interested in forming one with interviews and shows featuring various sport entertainers. Whatever advice I get from here, I will take back to my new friend.
me personally, and I'm being honest here, I'm a little afraid to take ME and MY show to the super serious level. because I don't want to start to hate podcasting because of stress. I've had more than my share of THAT during the final 2 years of stickam. That's why as much as I enjoy the hell out of GFQ, I wouldn't dare even fix my lips to ask to be on it. WAY too professional for me. lol But I'm more than happy to be affiliated with something at that level.

mcphillips
07-27-2013, 05:12 PM
The purpose of this thread is to ask for advice on starting a network. Because as I said, someone I recently met is interested in forming one with interviews and shows featuring various sport entertainers. Whatever advice I get from here, I will take back to my new friend.
Call me confused. Previously you said,

I DO NOT want to run a network...I don't want the headache.
We'll try to help you, but I'm still not sure how we can.

bushido
07-28-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm not the guy who would be running this potential network, I'm just apart of the planning committee and an investor, so to speak. But reading through this site, I was able to gain enough knowledge to make some educated decisions and present a few strong ideas.
Thank you all for your response.

Podnutter
07-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Just wondering how much money it takes to start a network?