PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent Podfading. How do Podcasters keep going?

jamesdelfresco
07-15-2013, 06:50 PM
I have been doing podcasting on and off for a few years now I at times get burnt out. I have also noticed many Podcasters and Internet Broadcasters Podfade. How do you prevent this from happening? Is it possible for someone to return and still keep their audience once they podfade and come back?

MyTakeRadio
07-15-2013, 07:08 PM
I get burnt out often and at times have contemplated throwing in the towel but I remind myself that is something I enjoy doing and people count on me to be entertained. I usually take a week off to recharge every couple of months. I burnt hard when I started in 2006 and it took a lot to get me motivated.

brianmonroe
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
James,

Here is my take on the whole podfading thing. The 1st question that does come up is how often are you doing shows? I have found that if you are doing shows more than once a week as a hobby, it is easy to either run out of material or get burnt out quickly. In that case I would take planned breaks but make sure you let your audience know ahead of time so that they will stick around for you to come back. Also, depending on the kind of show you are doing, you could do a best of show while you are gone so that you have something for the listener/viewer to check out as most of your audience probably has not been listening/watching your content from the beginning. So even though it is not new it still is new to them. Another idea would be to do some small 5 min or less clips while you are away to keep some fresh content around until you get back. Of course that all depends on how long you are going to be away and what connectivity you have on your break/vacation.

However, if you are doing a show where you have advertisers or are making money doing it or are doing it once a week, that will dictate how often you can take breaks along with how long you really can take off before you have to come back. As I have only done shows as a hobby I can not say how that dynamic works. I am sure that others on the IAIB could chime in here to give you a better insight as to how they handled this situation.

I do think that most listeners/viewers understand the needs to take breaks throughout the year as with a normal job you get the major holidays off and do take a vacation during the spring and/or summer time. So most will stick with you even if you are off for a bit.

The thing is that ultimately, no mater what show you are doing, it will run it's course. Just like on TV. Most shows do not go on forever. They have a set number of seasons until all that can be done with the premise of the show has been done. It is sad when a show that we enjoy goes away but it is better that it does go away than having the quality of the show slip.

One last point, when a show does go away, that does not mean that you have to stop broadcasting. You should look at it as an opportunity to try something new as you can do many different kinds of shows using the same Internet Broadcasting hardware, software and services. Also, I am sure that you will have fans that will be loyal to you no mater what content you put on as they like your personality and style.

Brian

andrewzarian
07-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Brian really well said!

TommySulivan
07-28-2013, 07:56 PM
I get very discouraged when I am doing a podcast for a few weeks or months and no one is listening. Can be hard to push though that

brianmonroe
07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks Andrew. i have been thinking about this topic for a while. I am just glad to share my thoughts with others.

Tommy,

If you have been doing an Internet Broadcast for a few weeks or months and really no one is listening then you may need to change it up some. You could be passionate about a subject that just is not that popular. Now if you are doing this just as a hobby, keep on doing it if you enjoy doing it. But if it begins to become a chore or like a job then you may need to re-evaluate if the subject you are talking about either there are to many others talking about and therefore dividing up the market to much or just to "Inside Baseball" as the saying goes.

If you are in a saturated market and it is a hobby, you could try and see if you could find another Internet Broadcaster who you could team up with and either be a guest or a co-host on their show. You never know, it could lead to finding some more online friends as you both would have something in common. Of course, if you are used to doing long monologs on your own, you will have to re-learn how to take breaks when you are talking so that the others can get a word in. I know that this can be really hard for those of us who love to talk but it is a good skill to have that will be good offline too.

Keep in mind that we are in a unique time in history where there is so much content to watch, listen to, read or do that there just is not enough time in the day for everything. There are 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute so there is no way we could watch all of it in a lifetime. Just find your niche and you will be fine. Most people will not have large audiences but I do not see that being the goal of many Internet Broadcasters. Just have your niche and develop a good but loyal following and it will all work out fine.

Brian

Podnutter
07-28-2013, 08:06 PM
I think the community can be a great way to prevent podfading. I have stopped and started a few times but since discovering sites like the IAIB , Facebook groups and Google community I feel it gives you the extra thing that you need to keep going

thetechbuzz
07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
I think to prevent podfading you need to ignore people. People who have done nothing. What I mean by that, is the nasty comments you get on youtube from the "trolls" that like to leave nasty comments because they have nothing better to do with their lives. Accept feedback from people and other broadcasters/podcasters that you can measure up to yours. Are they successful? Are they consistent? Are the of quality? This is the internet, I find so many people who claim they are some big "thing" on the internet. But if you dig, you find out they aren't. So why be concerned with what they think?

They are miserable and want you to be miserable. I've learned keep the blinders on, enjoy what you do, take advice with a grain of salt. Because ultimately, you have to be happy with your decision and live with it, not them. You control your destiny. People are always good at telling you how to do something, but when presented with the opportunity to put their money where their mouth is, well then you see why you don't listen to them.

TheJeffAdamsShow
07-29-2013, 03:05 AM
I think it really comes down to passion and creativity. What is driving you to do your podcast or network? Is the ultimate goal to make money fast? If so this will cause a quick burnout. You need a mission statement and stay within those lines of your mission and goal.

I think with some podcast I have seen they don't put a lot of thought into what they are doing. They run out of creativity and vision for their podcast. They get tired of the slow overall growth. Don't put all your ammo in your gun and shoot! Save some bullets for growth and creative content.

It takes more from you than just being a podcaster. You have to get your hands dirty and doing a little grass root marketing. Stay engaged with your audience in social media. What I mean is just don't post when your show is happening. Post about other things as well. Things that make you and your podcast tick. Interact with your audience thru social media. Comment on what their posting. Care about your true audience and they will care about you. This will give you that extra energy to keep going.

If you feel your show can not grow anymore let your audience know you are taking a few weeks off from the podcast. Still interact with them on social media. But take that time revamp or start something new with your podcast. Podcasts have to keep getting better with time with overall with content and broadcast quality. Shoot high for these goals and with time you will get there. But shoot and aim well.

I don't think anyone has this down to a science just yet. Its the Wild Wild West. Hollywood is diving in fast with podcast as well . They are trying to find a model that works for them. So don't follow the trends be Creative and be youself!

If you think you are the Junk then my friend you will get shot in this Wild Wild West.

With Advertising be creative in doing something outside the box. Don't mimic other shows with your advertising. Be passionate about what you are trying to sell. If not don't take the money from the advertisers. Your client and fans will see that you are not into what you are trying sell. Find your audience and your Advertisers that fit your over all podcast. Its going to take time. Don't make it chore for yourself. Make it part of your life your passion. Make it fun and creative and see the results.

Always stay humble and don't drink your own Kool Aid. If you take yourself way too serious You will have what I call the Jack Ass effect. You will be way to cocky and it will show with your fans and peers.

No one wants to be that Jack Ass. But in many years working in music industry I know this to be true. You have to stay humble and build relationships. Relationships will last a life time if you show love and really care for people.Sometimes you will get burned by a Jack Ass but don't let that stop you from building great relationship with your peers.

If your miserable it will show. No one wants to work with a Jack Ass. I dealt with many artists, PD's radio host,TV networks, hosts on TV shows, PR, etc. I know this for a fact. If your miserable just stop and quit. You are not doing anyone any good including yourself.

Don't be a Jack Ass broadcaster! Stay humble. Keep creativity and passion going! Love people and love what you do!

Jeff Adams
"Creative Internet Broadcast Sermonizer"

2161 County Road 540A #138
E Lakeland Fl 33813
(818) 253-9697

http://www.thejeffadamsshow.tv
https://twitter.com/theJeffAdams
https://www.facebook.com/TheJeffAdamsShow

TheJeffAdamsShow
07-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Great message Brian

Rock
07-29-2013, 07:40 AM
As arguably, part of the longest running podcast in internet history, I can chime in with my 2 cents on this...
- If you do the show alone, try and get a co-host. Gets new creative ideas going and splits the work load work it will cut down on getting burnt out.
- Cut down on shows, one really good show in a week is better than 3 shows running on fumes in a week... actually, leave multiple shows a week to guys like Andrew, it takes special talent and good meds to do that.
- Figure out ways to get paid to do your podcast... that may keep you going longer!

brianmonroe
07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks Jeff,

I wanted to reply back to your points as I do think you made many valid ones.

I think it really comes down to passion and creativity. What is driving you to do your podcast or network? Is the ultimate goal to make money fast? If so this will cause a quick burnout. You need a mission statement and stay within those lines of your mission and goal

I agree. I think it is to easy to start to do Internet Broadcasting thinking that you can work from home and make money doing it. While it is true that some do make money doing Internet Broadcasting, most do not and are doing it as a hobby. Internet Broadcasting is NOT a get rich quick scheme. If you are doing it for that reason you need to stop ASAP and get a real job. What I have found is that the people that do it and eventually make money work at it for YEARS. If you do not have that kind of time it is best to do other things. I also totally agree that you should have some sort of mission statement. To use an example of TWiT I know that Leo has stated many times that he wants to be the "CNN for Geeks/Nerds". So the focus is clear about what kinds of shows that he will do, what sort of studio setup he will need and who is audience is.

I think with some podcast I have seen they don't put a lot of thought into what they are doing. They run out of creativity and vision for their podcast. They get tired of the slow overall growth. Don't put all your ammo in your gun and shoot! Save some bullets for growth and creative content.

Yep. It is to easy to just start doing shows as most modern laptops, smartphones and tables have all the tools you need to do shows. So take the time to start doing shows but do not be a perfectionist on your 1st couple of shows while you learn the ropes and find your voice along with learn all of the tech stuff you need to know for your show to be successful. You could consider your 1st couple of shows beta/pre release to take the pressure off.

It takes more from you than just being a podcaster. You have to get your hands dirty and doing a little grass root marketing. Stay engaged with your audience in social media. What I mean is just don't post when your show is happening. Post about other things as well. Things that make you and your podcast tick. Interact with your audience thru social media. Comment on what their posting. Care about your true audience and they will care about you. This will give you that extra energy to keep going.

No question, Marketing is needed to grow your audience. Also, yes, You do not just want to tweet out when your show is on. Do interact with your loyal audience through various means so that they can feel invested in your success.

If you feel your show can not grow anymore let your audience know you are taking a few weeks off from the podcast. Still interact with them on social media. But take that time revamp or start something new with your podcast. Podcasts have to keep getting better with time with overall with content and broadcast quality. Shoot high for these goals and with time you will get there. But shoot and aim well

This is a great idea. Even if it is a couple of small tweets or FaceBook updates. It at least lets your audience know you care about them enough to keep them in the loop and are giving them some mindshare while you are away. Also, if you have plans on changing your show, you can also use it like a tease or move trailer where you are able to develop some buzz around your new ideas or show.

I don't think anyone has this down to a science just yet. Its the Wild Wild West. Hollywood is diving in fast with podcast as well . They are trying to find a model that works for them. So don't follow the trends be Creative and be youself!

I think this is a good thing as Internet Broadcasting is a new medium and even though it is sort of a hybrid between the TV and Radio medium in the end it is a lot more interactive and I do think that interaction is what will end up making it successful. Even though Hollywood is getting in to the game and they will carry over their stars and audience. It does not mean that they will be successful as they still are looking backwards. You can see that by the horrid standards and copyright laws that they have imposed on the industry (HDCP and DMCA). If they really understood their audience and the future they would be looking to interact and engage with them and not just look at them as a source for profits or as thieves for not paying for every copy and every performance of their works.

One guy I think does get it is Dan McQuillen on the tech side of Broadcast Bionics. Check out his YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayD8xjS_GKc
Also check out him on the awesome This Week in Radio Technology on GFQ:
http://www.guysfromqueens.com/shows/this-week-in-radio-tech-2/this-week-in-radio-tech-ep-174-dan-mcquillin-and-beyond-listeners-7-11-13/

If you think you are the Junk then my friend you will get shot in this Wild Wild West.

Yep, Confidence is key. With most things in life, including Internet Broadcasting.

With Advertising be creative in doing something outside the box. Don't mimic other shows with your advertising. Be passionate about what you are trying to sell. If not don't take the money from the advertisers. Your client and fans will see that you are not into what you are trying sell. Find your audience and your Advertisers that fit your over all podcast. Its going to take time. Don't make it chore for yourself. Make it part of your life your passion. Make it fun and creative and see the results.

Totally! The audience can see through a scripted live read/ad copy and will tune out because they have heard it all before. I also think it is good to draw from what others have done but do make it your own. Do not just do the same exact ad's as others do as there is a good change your audience has seen/heard them before on other shows. Not only should your bring passion to your show but to your advertisers too. They will really appreciate it along with the audience too. It does help if you have actually used the products that you are selling so that you can bring your own perspective to the Ads.

Always stay humble and don't drink your own Kool Aid. If you take yourself way too serious You will have what I call the Jack Ass effect. You will be way to cocky and it will show with your fans and peers.

No one wants to be that Jack Ass. But in many years working in music industry I know this to be true. You have to stay humble and build relationships. Relationships will last a life time if you show love and really care for people.Sometimes you will get burned by a Jack Ass but don't let that stop you from building great relationship with your peers.

Yes! One of the most annoying things for me is when a host laughs at his own jokes and no one else is laughing or thinks that just because they are behind the mike they are better than their audience. Being humble is important as it allows you to better connect with your audience and like has been said above, that connection is gold and will pay back many times over in the future.

If your miserable it will show. No one wants to work with a Jack Ass. I dealt with many artists, PD's radio host,TV networks, hosts on TV shows, PR, etc. I know this for a fact. If your miserable just stop and quit. You are not doing anyone any good including yourself.

Don't be a Jack Ass broadcaster! Stay humble. Keep creativity and passion going! Love people and love what you do!

Not only if you are miserable, is it a bad thing but also if you are not feeling well. Do allow yourself some time off as everyone gets sick and just like a real job, you need to give your body some time to heal. It is really hard for many people to be happy and upbeat if they are not feeling well. Now I am more talking about physical ailments. Not mental issues. That is for a different post and discussion.

As always, good luck and stay positive. If it does not work out the 1st time do not be discouraged. Keep working at it. Many of the people you see that are really good online have been doing it for years along with have been fans of radio or TV for a long time. Learning tips and tricks along the way.

-Brian

brianmonroe
07-29-2013, 09:59 AM
As arguably, part of the longest running podcast in internet history, I can chime in with my 2 cents on this...
- If you do the show alone, try and get a co-host. Gets new creative ideas going and splits the work load work it will cut down on getting burnt out.
- Cut down on shows, one really good show in a week is better than 3 shows running on fumes in a week... actually, leave multiple shows a week to guys like Andrew, it takes special talent and good meds to do that.
- Figure out ways to get paid to do your podcast... that may keep you going longer!

Rock,

Great ideas! I am really glad you and Kieran where able to find each other as you both work so well together. I am also glad you only do one show a week. It gives us in the audience something to look forward to versus doing a daily show where it is not as special for the kind of show you guys do. Also, it does give you more time to get material together for each show. Again, getting paid to do something you love is great. Just do not make it your 1st priority or you will begin to resent your audience and end up burning out quickly along with potentially ruining your name and brand for a long time.

-Brian

Rock
07-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Rock,

Great ideas! I am really glad you and Kieran where able to find each other as you both work so well together. I am also glad you only do one show a week. It gives us in the audience something to look forward to versus doing a daily show where it is not as special for the kind of show you guys do. Also, it does give you more time to get material together for each show. Again, getting paid to do something you love is great. Just do not make it your 1st priority or you will begin to resent your audience and end up burning out quickly along with potentially ruining your name and brand for a long time.

-Brian

i want people to figure out ways to make money using podcasts, then i can take my 10% consultation fee. :)

brianmonroe
07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Rock,

People can make money doing Internet Broadcasts. But it is not easy. Some people sell swag with stuff from the show, others do affiliate codes and there is always the standard ad model. But in the end to have any of that work you need a good size audience. Then you can take your 10% if you wish to assist them with any or all of that. :)

-Brian

Spencer Kobren
07-29-2013, 12:30 PM
This is a great topic and one that I can certainly relate to. Believe it or not, it's coming up on the 15th anniversary of my broadcast, and there has been more than one occasion when I just wanted to throw in the towel.

Even though I started on the radio, my broadcast was exactly like many of the start up podcasts of today, except I had to go out and hustle to sell my own advertising before I was able to get my first show on the air.

Essentially, I had to sell a concept with no demo, no numbers…not even a single listener. Being that I had zero experience on the radio, and in light of the fact that every program directer in New York laughed me out of their office when I pitched the concept, it was a risk for my sponsors to invest the big money necessary to get the show on the air for a thirteen week trial. To say the least, the barrier to entry was significantly more difficult than it is today, but the drive it takes to be successful is no different.

When I aired my first broadcast the pressure was really on to succeed, and the "real" radio guys were surprisingly not too friendly or supportive. I was the brunt of a lot of jokes around the station, so I can relate to Steven's message.

What I learned early on is that for every hater there are many more people who really appreciate what you do. I had to develop a thick skin from day one, and as the online world evolved I had to learn to embrace the haters and just role with whatever came at me, and believe me it's been relentless over the years. The more successful you become the higher up the food chain your detractors become.

I've been harassed, defamed and even had my life threatened because what I do (hair loss is big business), so you can imagine how this type of shit can put a damper on going out there a doing your weekly broadcast. There were days I just wanted to say "fuck it…Why am I still doing this?"

The bottom line is that it's all about having passion for what you do and finding ways to really enjoy it. Being good at it doesn't hurt and like Adam wrote, making money always helps to keep you motivated, but it takes real drive and commitment to make that happen.

I also agree with Brian that you have to take breaks once in a while. I've been doing my live show every other week for the past couple of months and it's been a good thing.

Everyone gets burnt-out from time to time, but in the end, I believe you dictate your own success.

bushido
07-29-2013, 02:35 PM
I've done 3 shows so far and all three have been land mines with gems of experience to grow with.

As for podfading, I've learned a number of lessons that have helped me overcome podfade.

1.Get over the Ego
My first show, lionsden radio, was number one in podmatic's san francisco comedy category for 3 weeks. Being my very first podcast, the success went straight to my top floor. long story short, it crashed and burned.
Lesson: Your place at the top is never secure, you could fall at anytime. So don't internalize it when it happens.

2. Prepare your material
Some people in this podcast game are just naturally entertaining. No show prep, no prepared material, they just sit down and turn on the gear and it's gold. I'm not one of those guys unfortunately, my second show was featured on stickam's front page but I would sometimes prep a show an hour before going on without a single thought put into it days before. Honestly, a good 3/4s of my second show was raw improv, which was rooted in my often time macabre and off color sense of humor. this combination pretty much kept my numbers lower than spilled milk in the basement. which was one of the 3 reasons why THAT show faded.
lesson: prepare...and don't sweat the viewer numbers

without getting too wordy, the point I'm trying to make is (in my opinion) often times podfade is a combination of things, most of which are of our own design. But if you can gain insight from set backs and pitfalls, you can learn to enjoy podcasting and lessen the chance of podfade.

Podnutter
07-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Wow this is amazing. Some really great advice here!

Let me ask this question for all of you. Can you return after podfading? How much will your audience suffer?

bushido
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
heck yeah, you can come back.
You will lose some audience even if you don't podfade (people lose internet,interest, get married-have children-have less time to listen, etc)
But it's the core audience you want to worry about.

brianmonroe
07-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Spencer,

Really well said. I do like how you talk about how there used to be gatekeepers that put up large barriers to you getting on the air. Something that we really do not have today. The good news is that now niche Internet Broadcasts can find their voice and audience without having to be laughed at because your subject is a niche one where there is not an obvious audience.

I totally agree that you have to have a thick skin as you grow your audience as there always be people that do not like what you are doing. Just as long as they are a small minority then it is not that big of a deal. As long as it is all just words and not actual actions that someone has real plans to carry out. Sometimes the hate does come from people that just do not know any other way to get attention and so that is how they express themselves. Or it could be fans of other shows in the same niche that do not want to see you succeed. In either case, it is best to just ignore them and move on.

Again, I totally agree about the passion. It is true with Internet Broadcasting or anything else you do in life. If you really do like it, it will all work out in the end. You may not become wealthy but at least your life will not be wasted away slaving away doing a job you hate.

bushido,

No question that you can not have an ego doing this. There are way to many others that are in the Internet Broadcasting so just like you found out, your audience can change in an instant so do not get to impressed with yourself just because you have many people checking out your show.

Yes, You do need to do show prep. Most people forget that and assume that they can just go live and have a great show. In most cases, that just does not work out well as most people are not good with coming up with material on the spot. Not only that but there is always something in the news that can be a good show or segment topic. Also, it keeps the show focused along with counting the show so that it does not drag on forever.

Podnutter,

Yes. You can totally return after podfading out. Just do not expect to have the same audience when you do. Of course if you where doing what I and others have said to do, by still being active on the various social networks you should be able to regain many of your former audience.

-Brian

bushido
07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
I hate to do this in an active thread, but brian, could you PM me? Got an idea for you

andrewzarian
08-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Its totally possible to return back after "Podfading" but your audience might take a hit

mcphillips
08-03-2013, 05:13 AM
"Podfading" does not have to be permanent. A planned hiatus that is announced in advanced and FOLLOWED is not podfading.

brianmonroe
08-08-2013, 09:14 AM
-Mike,

I totally agree. That is why I really do not consider taking a vacation to be the same as "podfading". One is pre-planned, the other is just about loosing interest and having other things that take up your time where you stop communicating with your audience about what you are doing and if/when you will be back.

- Brian

andrewzarian
09-16-2013, 06:17 AM
I just got an email from someone who has been podcast for 4 years and today they are considering stopping the show They never missed a show and eventually just got tired of doing the show. I convinced him to take two weeks off and see how he feels then. I take off 1 week every 3 months and it helps a lot.