PDA

View Full Version : Just another guy who needs help

Dan Ortego
07-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Yes, I'm new and I want to get into podcasting. Currently, I ordered an Apogee MiC but quickly realized I want something more. I've considered the Shure PG42-USB because I want a side addressing mic so I can view my computer screen. I'm also up for a good quality XRL side addressing but haven't really seen anything mentioned on hear by you pro-types. Maybe I'm off-base with that idea so blast away.

I use a Mac and may well be buying the new MacPro later in the year. BTW: My budget to get started is about $1500~$2k (mic/mixer, etc) so a more expensive mic is Okay, to a point. Thanks for any advice you may provide.
Dan

andrewzarian
07-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey Dan !

Welcome to the site. there are a few things you can do. If you are looking to stick with a USB microphone I would go with the Audio Technica 2005-USB (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2005USB-Cardioid-Microphone/dp/B007JX8O0Y/?tag=thgufrquponet-20). It has both USB and XLR inputs on it (You can grow with this microphone and will only set you back 44 bucks)

Other Mics to consider.

Heil PR40
Shure SM7
RE20 / RE27

jamesdelfresco
07-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I also would like some information for being a noob. I have heard people say only buy dynamic . Does it make a difference if you are using a gate? wont the room noise be cut out?

Dan Ortego
07-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the tip Andrew. Well, after reading your response and watching a slew of YT vids’ I decided and ordered the RE20. Now I need some advice on a good preamp. Any thoughts on the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - USB 2.0 Audio Interface? It offers a 100db gain (I think) and if I understand correctly, the RE20 needs plenty. Again, any advice is really appreciated.

andrewzarian
07-08-2013, 09:49 AM
the DBX 286s is the most bang for your buck. Is a great preamp and has great gating

Dan Ortego
07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks again Andrew I'm on it.

Dan Ortego
07-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Hello Andrew,
Well, I still need a bit more advice. I now have the dbx 286s and the RE20 with shock mount is on the way from B&H. What USB interface would you recommend with a Mac?
Regards,

mcphillips
07-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Dan, you should get a mixer that has a USB connection to the computer. The size depends on your requirements. Take a look at the Behringer X1204USB and the X2442USB. The Behringer numbers are very confusing. The Xenyx 1204 is not the same as the X1204USB. Tell us what you want, and we'll make sure you buy the right thing.

Dan Ortego
07-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Hello Mike and to the rest of you.

Seemingly, it would appear that I just shriveled up and blew away, but that’s not the case - just ask my local UPS driver! Anyway, I've been researching the mixers mentioned above while swing-testing microphones, armatures, and headphones. For whatever reason I started from the mouth as I work towards my MacPro.

After three mic’s, two armatures, and two headphones, I finally settled on an RE20, an O.C. White extended reach arm with a 15-inch riser and for now, Sony headphones. No, I’m not crazy about them but at least they fit. Next, I ended up with the dbx 286s although it’s just sitting on my desk collecting dust.

Currently, I’m simply using the Shure X2u USB interface until I figure out which mixer and recorder is right for my application. My goal is fairly close to that of CJ’s thread (New home studio…) as I plan to do Skype, YouTube, and podcasting with maybe one other person.

So, after reading your review on mixers I remain confused as to the better solution but for simplicity sake, it seems the X1204USB is the ‘easier’ config.

I also received suggestions to look at the Focusrite Forte’ and the Apogee Quartet, in particular. With it's 75db pre, 30db HP, balanced support for monitors, and direct connect to the Mac, what's not to like? Still, I don't see anyone using it in their 'home' broadcast studio's here on the forums so I'm likely too green to know of it's drawbacks. Any thoughts?

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/quartet.php

mcphillips
07-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Don't get hung up on the Mac compatibility thing. Any USB mixer is probably going to be Mac compatible. Since the mixer will interface directly with the computer, you will be able to use the computer's internal sound card for the mix-minus feed for Skype.

The Quartet lists for $1400. You can get a Presonus 16.0.2 mixer for that. Apogee and Focusrite products are great for recording studios, but in my opinion, they are WAY overkill for podcasting or Internet broadcasting.

The Shure X2U is a neat little device, but it's noisy. The same is true with the Blue Icicle and the Heil USBQ. The only XLR-to-USB converter that seems to do the job well is the Centrance Micport. However, you can get a decent USB mixer for $200 to $400, so the converters only seem to make sense for remote broadcasting. (Plus, you can get an AT2005USB microphone for $50.)

Where are you receiving the recommendations? The last person who talked about Apogee and Focusrite was spending too much time at Guitar Center or Sweetwater. I don't remember at the moment. Both make great equipment, but they're not optimum for the application, in my opinion.

Dan Ortego
07-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks Mike for the sanity check. The recommendations I received were directly from the sales and engineering folks. In fact, it was back before I joined this forum so I’m clearly still on training wheels. Still, I figured there had to be a reason why nobody here was using the Apogee, so I now understand its intended market.

andrewzarian
07-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey Dan.

Im not a big fan of USB mixers. I have never used one that didn't have some sort of issue. With that said there are plenty of people out there who use USB mixers and have no issues

Dan Ortego
07-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Hello Andrew,
As a true newbie’ I’m simply following the pack of whatever the current trend is with respect to creating content that I may broadcast. Since I’ve been using Mac computers for decades I’m pretty much set on that platform of which, USB and thunderbolt is the current formats. However, if there is a better mousetrap then I’m certainly open to learning more.

Apparently, choosing a microphone and support system was the easy part.

mcphillips
07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Macs will work fine for what you want to do. Andrew and I disagree over USB mixers, but that's cool. The design of the system you're asking about is tried and true. With an understanding of the fundamentals (when to use balanced audio cables), you can be up and going in short order.

Dan Ortego
08-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Okay, it's been a while since I posted anything so I'll share some of the trouble I've been getting into. Taking cues from some of you guys and others’ I ultimately returned the 286s and started looking more closely at the Allen-Heath XB-14 MkII, other external processors, and sound panels. By some measure I got carried away with the gingerbread. I mean, if I knew then what I know now I would have stopped after the mic and shifted to room acoustics. As it is, I still have a few boxes laying around that I could have really done without, or at least waited until later.

Also, I noticed that some folks who enter this fray, start out with zeal and enthusiasm and then peter-out quickly. Realizing this, I'm trying to approach things a bit differently. Podcasting will not be where I start, but will hopefully be where I end up. Currently, I spend several hours a day on the computer with Skype, recording, voice dictation and more. The sound panels will always provide a more pleasant experience while producing good vocals, and that's just plain fun!

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the RE20 coupled to the shock mount and OC White boom arm even though I'm simply running it through a Shure USB converter into the Mac/DAW. Frankly, it took a good mic with flat recording for me to recognize the need for room treatment, though I'm sure I'm not the first guy who got the cart in front of the horse.

mcphillips
08-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Well, Dan, I don't know what to tell you. The 286s is one of the best pieces of equipment you can use for podcasting. I just bought my fourth one.

Good luck.