PDA

View Full Version : Ground loop issue.. No fix

Podnutter
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
I have had a ground loop issue for about 4 months now. Even with ground loop isolators i still hear it. what else can I do to fix this issue?

techzentv
05-17-2013, 07:59 AM
I have a similar problem right now. I even added a DI with a ground lift and it helped some but not enough. My problem is the length of the run and it is running along power lines. I am going to try to fix it by re-routing the cable.

Are you running balanced cables? You could have an issue with the cable. What is the source? Have you checked the output of the source to make sure it is not the source?

Amnon
05-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Eliminate one source at a time and see if it goes away. Then fix that source.

ChaseShumway
05-18-2013, 09:18 PM
If the other suggestions fail, you might try something like a grounding converter (http://www.amazon.com/Prong-prong-grounding-converter/dp/B000I96AUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368936607&sr=8-1&keywords=three+prong+to+two+prong). Not the best option for gear made of metal.

Or a safer option might be this thing called a HumX from Ebtech (http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html).

boisapunk
04-25-2014, 10:23 PM
This type of issue is more than frustrating to resolve. I wrestled this forever to finally figure out that the power supply in my PC was somehow the culprit. New Power supply, no more noise.

mcphillips
04-26-2014, 04:36 AM
boisapunk makes a good point. While the power supply is rarely the cause of a ground loop, it certainly can be. The power supplies available for computers are cheap Chinese junk. One poorly designed connection can cause a problem that is very difficult to solve.

domineaux
04-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Have you tried shielded cables, grounded well at both ends.
Experiment, before you buy expensive shielded cables.
Don't twist wires together for good ground, solder them together.
Solder connectors to wires.

It can be hard to ground properly inside buildings at remote locations.
Almost all 110volt wall sockets are grounded very well, especially in newer buildings. You can attach your ground to the wall socket cover hold-down screw as it is screwed into the socket housing, which should be grounded. The wall socket mounting box should be metal for proper conduct to ground. Many homes have plastic wall socket mounting boxes so you may have to remove the cover to more carefully apply ground connection.

If your wiring is running alongside or crossing power lines use shielded cables.
Also, you can look for shielded cables with drain wire inside the cable, which can help further ground cable wiring.