PDA

View Full Version : Making audio better - How do you correct room noise?

andrewzarian
05-09-2013, 07:27 AM
I wanted to know some technicians you guys use for eliminating room noise.

Linuxcooldude
05-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Using a dynamic microphone helps. Then use a noise gate that comes with my compressor.

ChaseShumway
05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
We use dynamic mics now, so we don't get as much room noise as we used to. But when we do, I use the Noise Reduction tool in Adobe Audition. Of course, that doesn't help live audio.

AndrewSeabrook
05-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Andrew, are you asking about live situations, or in a studio? (As for technicians, I use a bit of Fred, some George and a smidge of Pamela. Sorry, couldn't resist! :-) Don't you just love predictive text! )

techzentv
05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Be careful with compression. Compression can increase the noise in a room. If you have a noisy room, watch the gate too, it can add a weird roll off of room noise. Best thing I have found is to lower the gain and get closer to the mic. Also, an end fire mic can help significantly because they have great off axis rejection.

andrewzarian
05-13-2013, 03:37 PM
I am referring to a controlled environment (Studio). I am using a Gate on my mic but since upgrading to the Neumann TLM 103 I am hearing some room Reverb. Its very slight and I think I can combat it with some sound proofing material.

AndrewSeabrook
05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Reverb is a function of hard or reflective surfaces. Think of the old technique of recording in the bathroom. So a first step of to use as many non-reflective surfaces as you can. That is why covering the walls with egg cartons worked well for radio/sound studios. Modern versions of that include Mike's suggestion of moving blankets or if you want, there are very good acoustic panels that you can buy. However, because you will want to keep the look of your studio, try putting your solution on the walls that aren't seen on camera to reduce the reflections. Then look for props that you can use that will break them up, or absorb the sound. Where you can, put soft surfaces behind your set. You may also want to experiment with some movable panels. I have had success with this in building temporary recording booths in school classrooms in the past.