PDA

View Full Version : How to do Shows where all hosts are remote

techzentv
05-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I have what may be an odd question. I am working on a new show and both of the people I want to host the show are not near me so they would be remote. In a situation like that were everyone is remote and no one is at my studio end is it better to have them remote in and just switch and stream it from my location or better to get them the equipment to do the switching, etc and give them access to the CDN?

Does anyone have a show that no one in your studio is part of the show? Are there any other options to the 2 I mentioned? Pro's and cons of each.

sunkast
05-05-2013, 12:47 PM
That is a really good question! At GFQ we have a lot of remote guests, but it's rare for no one to be at the studio. Not having someone physically there is a challenge. If Andrew is not at the studio, I can use Team Viewer to remote into any machine in his studio and control it. This in itself probably isn't the most ideal way of doing a remote. Running Team Viewer will suck up resources and possibly cause more dropped frames.

One of the big problems with something like that is what happens if there is an issue at the studio? There's no one there to fix it. Like you said there are pros and cons to each. You could give your remote hosts equipment and access to the CDN, but then you lose an amount of control over the broadcast.

In the real world, when a radio station has a live remote broadcast, where the normal air talent that is in the studio is out on a remote location, the station will have someone who is called a board op in the studio to handle the studio operations. Course most of us have our studio's in our home, so that might be a little weird hiring someone to come to your home to run things...

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

TommySulivan
05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Sunkast you mention that teamviewer is not the best as far as performance goes. Is there anything else people can use?

sunkast
05-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Sunkast you mention that teamviewer is not the best as far as performance goes. Is there anything else people can use?

It isn't so much the program as it is the nature of the beast. Simply having to capture the screen and send it remotely to another viewer just takes up resources on the machine itself. I honestly think Team Viewer is one of the best remote apps out there.

techzentv
05-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have been leaning towards running it all through here just because of the control factor. I would think it would be hard to do a remote control because of the delay.