PDA

View Full Version : Is Roku the future?

RadarGaming
04-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Is Roku the future? I have developed a Roku app for an Podcaster and the app has received 2000 downloads in 3 days. I was blown away by the numbers and believe it is because of the lack of apps on the store. Let me know what you think?

andrewzarian
04-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I would say its a step in the right direction. It allows "normal" people to discover content. Think about how difficult it is for someone to find your podcast.

techzentv
04-29-2013, 08:15 AM
How many show views are you getting from the 2000 channel installs?

erictimmer
05-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah I think you would have to track the installs and stats to see if they are actually using it, but that said I am now watching LOTS of podcasts on my Roku3 now. It frees up my computer.

techzentv
05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I have been measuring the plays from my roku app and right now I have just over 4700 installs of the app and in the last 7 days I have had 1491 views. Not really sure how to read the stats yet, the app has only been out for just over a week now.

I have to agree, watching on the roku is great.

cseeman
05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Are views broken down into average viewing time or viewer minutes?
The interesting analytic would be downloads vs views vs average viewing minutes to see the real falloff.

I've analytics related to iTunes Apps downloaded and a very large number are downloaded, only opened a few times and then the activity stops.

I wonder what actual retention is.

techzentv
05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
My roku app records the view once the video starts to play but then never checks in again. So in this case it is a count of people starting the video and the video starts to play. Knowing the viewing time is a good idea. I may try to tweak it to report back when the video stops or gets stopped. I am pretty sure there is an event for that too.