PDA

View Full Version : Leo Laporte Hates Andrew Zarian?

jamesdelfresco
04-21-2013, 03:56 PM
I was listening to the Tech Guy yesterday and I heard Leo go on a rant about Andrew Zarian. Did any of you hear it. It said that Andrew is copying Leo and isnt original.

Andrew did you hear this and could you please comment on it?

Linuxcooldude
04-22-2013, 06:16 AM
While I can't mention that particular incident, as I don't know much about it, some well known personalities do feel threatened by other broadcasters.

I had my own experiences with this happening myself. I happened to be in a Google+ hangout with a fairly well known Youtuber. I joined that hangout primarily because one member in the room I know well. Only 30 seconds after I joined the hangout this Youtuber was asking me all kinds of questions. After he checked out some of my websites he started to make fun of my show and what I do without knowing anything about me. Totally unprofessional in my opinion.

robistech
04-22-2013, 08:58 PM
I was listening to the Tech Guy yesterday and I heard Leo go on a rant about Andrew Zarian. Did any of you hear it. It said that Andrew is copying Leo and isnt original.

Andrew did you hear this and could you please comment on it?

Yes, I heard this as well. There's not really anyway to link to the video, but it was about 1:05PM when he was doing The Tech Guy.
http://www.justin.tv/twit/b/392406610 (68:40:00 appx time)

I was very interested to hear the comments, and I immediately had to go back to re watch that segment. I'm a TWiT fan, but I don't agree with Leo at all. Andrew is doing something totally different and amazing at GFQ, and to see Leo say that he is down right copying him is completely untrue. I also agree with Linuxcooldude, and I think that Leo's threatened. GFQ is a thriving network with great shows, hosts, and just an overall great experience. One of the reasons I love Andrew and GFQ so much is that its so different from everyone else. He's not afraid to say what he thinks, and does what he wants, and I love that.

This whole thing is really just a compliment to Andrew's hard work, and just goes to show TWiT isn't the biggest and best broadcasting network around.

Go get 'em Andrew! ;)

BradShoemaker
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
If Andrew is "copying" Leo, then everyone who does a Tech show is copying Leo... and if that were the case then Leo is copying someone else because he certainly wasn't the first.

techzentv
04-25-2013, 07:52 PM
I agree with Brad, from the comment that leo made, there are a ton of tech shows that are "copying" him. I have seen some of the shows on GFQ and I cannot say that I have ever thought, hey that is like TWiT. And even if I did, so what? I have to say that I now have a bad taste in my mouth about Leo. You hear him say about how much room there still is in netcasting/podcasting then turns around and does something like this.

Maybe because Paul is on What The Tech with Andrew and This Week in Windows with Leo?

Donovan
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I did a rough capture of the segment which can be viewed here (http://files.anairo.com/misc/Leo-Andrew.mp4). I've always liked Leo, but over the past few years, he's gotten a bit full of himself. That's my opinion, anyway. I admire and applaud what Andrew has done with his network.

TomSinclair
04-28-2013, 11:56 AM
And what's wrong with copying anyway? Every good idea I have had is one that I "copied" from someone else and modified it to my satisfaction.

TommySulivan
04-28-2013, 04:50 PM
wow this is shocking to hear. I really like Leo and for him to come out and attack Andrew is upsetting. I think if Leo actually took the time to listen to GFQ rather then listening to viewers / emails he would realize very quickly that its very different.

brianmonroe
04-28-2013, 04:51 PM
I saw the clip. I totally disagree with Leo. There is no question that Andrew and GFQ are orignal and doing no shows that look, sound or are in any way copies of TWiT shows. The only thing that Leo could be concerned about is that Andrew has Paul Thurrott on GFQ but that is nonsense as TWiT does not own Paul and have him on an exclusive contract. People like Paul and it is a good move to have him on GFQ.

If anything, I agree with others that think that Leo is worried about the competition from GFQ for viewers and Ad dollars. The thing is that in the world of Internet Broadcasting, there is lots of room for many people to do various different kinds of shows. If their networks and shows are good, they will be around for the long haul. If not, they will podfade away.

I like that GFQ is doing orignal programming and not copying TWiT as it makes it more fun to watch and participate on the network. I disagree that copying is a good thing as in the end you will never be better than the thing you are copying. You only can hope to match them. it may be hard at 1st to be orignal but the rewards are well worth it.

techzentv
04-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Competition is a good thing. It makes everyone work harder and make a better show.

I cannot think Leo's concern is that Paul is on other networks. Most of his hosts are on other networks. Gina Trapani is on 5by5 and maybe more. Snubs is still on Revision3's Hak5. Tom Merritt is on multiple other networks. That is just from the shows I watch.

What is so frustrating is Leo always claims to be pro new broadcasters but then does stuff like this.

Colm
04-29-2013, 11:00 AM
I guess if I turn on my camera and set my mic up and hit the broadcast now button I must be copying Leo too. I love original content from many shows I watch. The only similarity between these shows is they are all broadcasted on the internet. Yes the might talk about similar content but their views are very different.

Spencer Kobren
04-30-2013, 10:48 AM
I think it's fantastic that Leo is talking abut Andrew on Twit! It only illustrates GFQ's significant relevance in the world of Internet Broadcasting. Andrew should be flattered!

xmusiconline
05-10-2013, 03:58 AM
I think there is room for both Leo and Andrew in the internet broadcasting video realm... Leo's network in the past has been notorious for removing/canceling shows it hasn't seen strong viewership from in their eyes (or been able to make a buck off).. Those folks deserve an outlet to air their shows...

ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, all get along and co-exist... There is room for more than one in the Internet Video Broadcasting frontier.

Both places (GFQ and Leo's Network) have unique content that each other don't have .. and I think there is also room for more than one "tech" show on the internet. If anything having multiple tech type shows allows for even better content as each strive to provide the best.

Podnutter
06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
it seems like Leo mentioned andrew again on last weeks broadcast. I am trying to get the feed.

ronknights
09-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I like Leo Laporte, but haven't watched any of his shows for ages. I like a live show where I can interact with the show hosts, even in a small way.

I watch several of the GF Network shows, in addition to thetechbuzz. I like linuxcooldude too!

I have needed to limit the amount of live shows I watch. I need to allow time for taking care of myself, and for my own projects.

docizzen
10-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Dogs don't bark at parked cars.

oscarmartz
10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
thats wack! Why would someone act like when ti comes to another broadcaster. I have listened to Andrew for a few years and he has nothing be great stuff to say about leo and everyone over at twit

JuRY
09-10-2014, 05:10 AM
I hope you all know about Captain Juno, he has a series of videos on Laporte. Here is one of his videos:
http://youtu.be/Zp0RYDXsum0