PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Microphones. Likes? Dislikes?

TommySulivan
04-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Hello everyone. I am new to this broadcasting thing and wanted to introduce my self. My name is Tommy and have been a fan of radio for 20 years. I recently discovered what "Podcasting" is and want to take a shot at it. More of a hobby thing. I was wondering what a good microphone to start out with is, What your favorite microphone is, and what microphone do you have the most?

Also thank you to whom ever created this site. Very resourceful and a great way to meet other " Internet Broadcasters"

sunkast
04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
You can't go wrong with the ATR-2005 from Audio Technica (http://astore.amazon.com/thgufrquponet-20/detail/B007JX8O0Y). You will not find a better sounding mic for $35.

andrewzarian
04-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I would recommend the AT 2005 also. Its very inexpensive and sounds really good. Currently I'm looking for a new microphone for my studio. The issue I face is microphone phasing in my studio. I have to go with low room noise microphones. Still have not found something that I really love

Podnutter
04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
What microphones are you considering Andrew?

techzentv
04-29-2013, 08:58 AM
We have in use 2 Heil PR40's, EV RE20 and a Shure SM7B. I am not impressed with the Shure SM7B. The Heil's are probably the best for isolation. Anything off axis really is limited. The EV RE20 sounds pretty good as well.

If you are looking for a USB mic, I have a Blue Snowball and a Blue Yeti and for regular broadcasting do not recommend them unless you are in a closet. They are condenser microphones and hear everything. However, if you are trying to broadcast area audio, the yeti works great. You can set it to pickup in one direction or up to 3 directions.

If you are looking for a good lapel mic, look at a Rode lapel mic.

andrewzarian
04-29-2013, 09:33 AM
I was using a RE20 last week when I was visiting Spencer in LA. I have to say I'm not a fan of how I sounded on the Mic.

techzentv
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I saw that show. You sounded very thin. On the RE 20's there is a low end roll-off switch, that can cause some of that. I will say each of these mics has a completely different EQ config. The Shure has a low end roll-off switch and a mid-upper boost switch too. It is just best to leave them flat and fix it in EQ in the board.

Did you get a local recording from the studio you were in? It seemed that there were some drops in the skype which could also cause some of the thinning.

Dan Ortego
09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Well, this is another late post to an old thread but in the off chance that somebody newer than me comes along (could happen), here it goes. I started with an Apogee MiC and since I didn't know better I thought it sounded pretty good. Still, I was a bit put off by the cost of the adapter kit just so I could mount it on my boom arm.

Then I joined this forum and watched a slew of YouTube demos. It was obvious that I just had to buy the PR40 that was actually less money than the Apogee! Okay, that was until I purchased the shock mount and pop filter.

Over time I started listening and reading more about the RE20 so I just had to give it a whirl. Even before it arrived I had reservations and decided that I wouldn't even open the box. But since it arrived on a Friday there was no way I could stare at that thing' over the weekend so out came the box cutter. Remember I'm a newbie so silly things matter to me. When I unzipped the pouch and saw that OD green it immediately reminded me of my 1971 Army fatigues and I thought it was hideous.

Anyway, I affixed the microphone into the birdcage (shock mount) and I started recording on my Mac. I was amazed as to how much better I sounded with its rich tone and fullness. It took away the sibilance and sharpness in my speech that was present in the PR40. Of course for every plus there's an equal minus, and it does pick up considerably more room noise then the Heil. Still, I'm more satisfied with the RE20 so I'll just add a few acoustic panels a bit earlier than I planned.

Linuxcooldude
09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I think a person has to choose a vocal mike to match with their own voice and depending on what application you use it. Been using my Shure SM7B for 4 years and its been great. Even though I run an overhead fan and the wall behind me is the bathroom and running water/flush sounds it does not pick it up.

Dan Ortego
09-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Believe you me I couldn't agree with you more in terms of a mic must fit a person's individual voice. In so far as your particular mic goes, I do plan to eventually test the SM7B under the 'just because' rule of logic. With my miserable luck I will end up liking it and there goes my mad money!

If the Shure works for me I would likely just mount it on an alternate boom arm and use it under different conditions as you mentioned in your post. I've already passed the point of no return on my RE20 so it would simply be a new addition vs. swing-testing to find the right mousetrap.

Podnutter
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
I have an issue with the sm7b. It sounds really muddy when I use one. anyone else experience this?

manschool
12-19-2013, 11:33 PM
My Shure SM58s are great!

bigsix
12-29-2013, 08:15 AM
I just purchased the Elecro-Voice RE20 and it sounds great! The only issue I have now is that my computer is so loud, that the mic picks up all the noise. I think I may need to switch to the Heil Pr-40, but I love this RE20.

Dan Ortego
12-29-2013, 08:18 AM
I agree that the RE20 picks up more noise but I still like it a tad more than my previous PR40. Frankly, I wish I had kept the PR40 as an option, rather than returning it.

bigsix
12-29-2013, 08:47 AM
I do like it a lot! It's just my darn computer is so loud. I may try to add some sound damping to the computer to bring the db's down a bit. Of course, I'm not recording anything that's being published at the moment, so I have some time.

Dan Ortego
12-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I found that by repositioning my computer whereby the fans are not directly facing the wall, the noise is lower. I guess it all depends on the computers configuration. I'm considering a more quiet computer for the future, incorporating solid-state drives, etc. Of course they are considerably more expensive so time will tell.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

bigsix
12-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Same here, I think I'll just go with a laptop fully next time. This thing is a beast, it's got fans, SS drive, huge graphics card (with it's own fan) and a boat load of other stuff in it. I could probably put it in my closet and still hear it. LOL.

Dan Ortego
12-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm with you on that! Frankly, after decades of owning power-towers I'm about where you're at on my next purchase. Due to my circumstances I'm home most of the time so a desktop still offers some value. Even so I think my next rig will be a MacMini SSD stuffed into a rack mount that's sound isolated and ventilated.

MovieBuff
12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
These guys are using these mics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8i04eE8gTo

oscarmartz
12-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Little update on my issue with the SM7b. I had one of my buddies come over and help me tweak it. sounds much better now

AlBurr
12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Just got my RE27 N/D and hooked it up. I love the sound compared to my Rode Procaster. Although I have my trusty ATR 2100 that I could of had a closet full for what I paid for both of the other mics :)

I do love the shock mount system on the RE...like others say "it makes a great handle".

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2208/4jua.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/4jua.jpg/)

mcphillips
12-31-2013, 04:03 AM
Al, in my tests, the ATR2100 sounds MUCH better than the Rode Podcaster. Is that your observation, as well? It shocks me that anyone could be happy with the Podcaster. In fact, it surprises me that Rode even sells the mic. I've talked with people who use and like them, so obviously I'm just stating my biased opinion.

Regarding the difference in the noise picked up by the PR40 versus the RE20, that difference is marginal. It's probably close to splitting hairs. If a computer is noisy, it's the fans. You can get low noise fans. Moreover, there is no reason for the tower to be directly under the mic. Move it away. One of my i7s is at least 5 feet away from my mixer.

bigsix
12-31-2013, 04:15 AM
Al, in my tests, the ATR2100 sounds MUCH better than the Rode Podcaster. Is that your observation, as well? It shocks me that anyone could be happy with the Podcaster. In fact, it surprises me that Rode even sells the mic. I've talked with people who use and like them, so obviously I'm just stating my biased opinion.

Regarding the difference in the noise picked up by the PR40 versus the RE20, that difference is marginal. It's probably close to splitting hairs. If a computer is noisy, it's the fans. You can get low noise fans. Moreover, there is no reason for the tower to be directly under the mic. Move it away. One of my i7s is at least 5 feet away from my mixer.

Well, my computer is about six feet away from my CPU. Yes I do have quiet fans on the CPU, they're not all they quite. And the fan on my graphics cards is much louder, no replacing that fan. I'm going to add some of that sound damping material to the inside of the case door (not covering up the air vents of course) and see how that works. I thought the PR-40 was more directional and required you to be on axis much more than the RE20. Oh well, and hopefully when I get my DBX 286s, that will also help suppress some of the fan noise - Thanks.

Dan Ortego
12-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Just got my RE27 N/D and hooked it up. I love the sound compared to my Rode Procaster. Although I have my trusty ATR 2100 that I could of had a closet full for what I paid for both of the other mics :)

I do love the shock mount system on the RE...like others say "it makes a great handle".

Morning Al,
So, you went all out with some pretty nice toys from Christmas! I agree the RE and especially the associated shock mount is pretty 'handy' for swinging around. Love it on my O.C. White extended reach boom arm.

Happy New Year's Eve!

andrewzarian
12-31-2013, 09:32 AM

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2208/4jua.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/4jua.jpg/)

Looks great Al!

bigsix
01-01-2014, 11:57 AM
So is there a compressor/limiter/gate or some device like a DBX 266 that will help reduce some of the background noises?

andrewzarian
01-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Background noise hiss can be caused by a few things. I would make sure everything is leveled properly. The DBX 286s (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWH79A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004LWH79A&linkCode=as2&tag=thgufrquponet-20) is a great piece of hardware but it does not eliminate audio hiss. Most of the time something is set too high

bigsix
01-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I was speaking more in terms of a computer fan or some other background noise. I really don't have any hiss in my recording, just some computer fan noise and such.

andrewzarian
01-01-2014, 12:12 PM
the DBX 286 and DBX 266 both have a Gate. With that said the gate will only cut the background noise when you're not speaking.

AlBurr
01-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Bigsix I have the 286s and use the "Expander/Gate" function to minimize my background noise (computer). It seems to be doing a good job as I begin to zero in on just the right settings. I think I will be able to get my audio to an acceptable level, for me, where I don't have to be right up on the mic. I also have a 266xs which is just a compressor/gate that I picked up real cheap before I got the 286s. I have yet to test it. I may do that soon just to see the differences as the 266xs doesn't have a pre-amp.

bigsix
01-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Ahh, yes the 286s, I think that's my next purchase. I only get the computer noise on those little pauses, so I think that will work just fine. Thanks AlBurr and andrewzarian for the feedback (no pun intended).

AlBurr
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Just picked up a Shure SM58a Beta for free...I must say it sure (pardon the pun) does require a healthy amount of gain on my mixer. I haven't run it through the 286s yet. I suspect that'll make a difference... This mic thing sure is fun. I can see why people get such a large collection over time. I've heard that the 58a Beta does good job rejecting unwanted room noise so I am excited to put it through its paces.