PDA

View Full Version : Add your shows to Youtube

andrewzarian
04-14-2013, 09:00 AM
This sounds like a stupid simple tip but it is a great way to get discovered. I have seen the argument that its a waste of time to add a show to youtube and I totally disagree with it. If you properly title and tag your podcast Youtube can be a great platform to get new viewers. Another thing you might want to consider is adding clips of topics you discussed on your show.

erictimmer
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Agree. Be everywhere regardless of the extra hassle. You might get that one passerby that has a BIG social media presence.

techzentv
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
I agree too. Some of our shows get more Youtube views than they do downloads.

andrewzarian
04-18-2013, 07:11 AM
So Let me ask this. Why the argument not to put your content on youtube?

Donovan
04-18-2013, 12:15 PM
So Let me ask this. Why the argument not to put your content on youtube?

Is there an argument being made NOT to put them on YouTube? I haven't really heard it and it doesn't make sense, at least to me, for anyone to make that argument. As has already been stated in this thread, the more eyeballs the better. Plus, you can Adsense your YouTube videos, so if you have something that blows up in the way of viewership, then you can make a little extra money along the way.

Just my .02 worth. :)

RadarGaming
04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
I have been one in the past to think going to YouTube was a waste, When I uploaded to YouTube in the past I wasent seeing any viewers. So I stopped, I just uploaded my first episode to YouTube in over a year and still am not seeing many views. I know viewers are viewers but is it worth the extra time it takes?

techzentv
04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
In our workflow, it is no extra time. It just automatically makes its way there with all of the other videos.

I can give you an example that happened to me just today as to why. I had some students rent the studio today for a documentary they are creating. While they were here one of them was curious about all of the electronics around for our one show. I explained and his next question... Is it on Youtube? Young people today go to youtube for so much stuff.

That same show gets more views on Youtube than downloads. I guess because people are searching Youtube for how to do stuff with Arduinos and Raspberry Pi processors.

Donovan
04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I have been one in the past to think going to YouTube was a waste, When I uploaded to YouTube in the past I wasent seeing any viewers. So I stopped, I just uploaded my first episode to YouTube in over a year and still am not seeing many views. I know viewers are viewers but is it worth the extra time it takes?

How much extra time does it take? I render a 720p and a 360p version of my shows and upload the 720p to YouTube. The 360p is for mobile. My software spends an extra 45 to 60 mins to render the 720p, and I start the upload to YouTube and go to bed most of the time. :)

I do have to admit, however, that I have asked myself if the handful of views was worth it, but if the videos aren't there, there definitely won't be any accidental viewers that otherwise may never find out about the show(s).

Podnutter
04-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Why wouldn't you put your shows on Youtube. I dont understand that. I mean does it make sense if you only have an audio prob not but if you are doing any kind of video content Youtube is a must.

I have to say I agree with @andrewzarian. If you tag your content properly then it will get discovered

andrewzarian
04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Nick. It takes time to get viewers. Have you tried proper tagging. Title of the show. a good detailed description and good tags

TommySulivan
04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I watch everything on youtube except for Podcast. I generally watch or listen to all my podcasts on Itunes or another podcasting app

andrewzarian
04-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Here is a great example of YouTube working. A few weeks ago one of our YouTube videos went viral. The reason it went viral is due to YouTube's large user base and the fact that people trust it. hundreds of websites embed my video. I do not think this would have gained as much traction if we had only been using blip or had the video exclusively on GFQ

techzentv
04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Woo hoo! Way to go!

domineaux
04-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I've put up 100+ youtube. I am always annoyed by the ferrets that try to monetize by claiming copyright infringement. I create my own music or buy music with releases. One outfit Orchid is all over the place claiming thousands of infringements. I even recorded a rams horn being blown *shofar. Someone tried to claim that. :confused:

Youtube wants to pump revenue is why I think they let these ferrets pull these stunts. I challenge all of them, and remove any content that is claimed. I remove content because I don't have time to fight with them, and they don't have to do anything. They make a claim and it takes alot of research and information to defeat those claims.

I'm really beginning to think audio podcasting may be the best route. People will listen longer and the production time is much less than videos. Yes, I know they say video is the future. I am not sure I buy that any longer. People have to stop what they are doing, watch and listen. Audio podcasting they can work, walk, treadmill, workout, eat, travel, drive and do a thousand other things while listening to audio.

Also, you can make an absolutely terrific content video and the average viewer only stays with it for about 2 minutes. Movie trailers are a perfect example 2 minutes 30 seconds is about the maximum length. The movie dudes know they can't keep viewers much over 2 minutes.

I've been working toward live video streaming, which I understand is somewhat better. I am now realizing you really have to have some super worthy content for success live streaming. I've bought most of the hardware including setting up with extra fast cable internet. I haven't activated the higher speed internet and I may forget about it.

I'm definitely not in a quandry. If things don't work as they should you can't let your expectations rule your common senses.

Confuse me if you will, or leave me be. I'm thinking audio podcasting is the way to go to build a brand, followed up with live audio streaming. Again, people can multi-task and listen, but viewing requires undivided attention of the viewers.

Maybe, I will just shoot videos of audio podcasting and live audio streaming and share them as I can. Yet, they will just be ancillary overflow or not that important to what I'm trying to do.

This is my thinking at this time. I would be interested to read what some other members might think on this, for sure.

TomSinclair
04-08-2014, 06:15 AM
YouTube is a great way to get discovered. We just passed the 100k viewer mark last night. Lots of my clients found me on YouTube. Many people (younger and older) use YouTube as a search engine. Make sure you take time to add the tags as Andrew says. Sometimes I'll use 20 tags for one show.

Also encourage views to "subscribe" to your channel. That way they will be notified (if they select that) that you have new videos posted.

My YouTube channel is ThatVidBlasterGuy (https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatVidBlasterGuy?feature=mhee).

MyTakeRadio
04-09-2014, 04:59 PM
I put my audio shows on YT and when I switched to video I started posting those as well. It's all a preference but its worth using YouTube for their Google juice.

QuestionNet
05-21-2014, 10:25 AM
If you use Google Hangout with YouTube to broadcast Live the feed from your show when you are recording, as we do. It will automatically upload your "show" to your channel. My show is unedited and we broadcast live with not really any post production so it works well for us.