PDA

View Full Version : Who do you host your videos with?

techzentv
03-28-2013, 07:13 AM
I have a question that I have not seen asked here yet. Who do you use to host your video files? I have a number of different accounts at different hosting providers. The one where I have been hosting the video files for the RSS feeds is now complaining that I am not using it as a "traditional" web site.

I can see some more trouble coming so I am looking to make a move to another web host. Can anyone recommend one?

I am assuming they saw that I was using about 100Gb of space and decided to say something.

andrewzarian
03-29-2013, 09:21 AM
All our videos are hosted on Blip.tv. Here are the pros and cons

Pro
1. HD video for Pro members
2. unlimited storage
3. unlimited bandwidth
4. Transcoding for mobile

Cons.
1. Accounts need to be approved
2. Mandatory Pre Roll ( But they pay out)
3. Throttled download speed for RSS downloads

techzentv
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
I tried to get an account on blip.tv but they denied it. I think I am just going to get another dedicated server and move to it.

erictimmer
03-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Amazon S3 is a good option.

techzentv
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Yeah, amazon is great but with the size of the video files, right now it would be over $300 a month for storage and bandwidth and that would grow rapidly.

erictimmer
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Libsyn.com or Blubrry.com are the only ones that i know of that don't count the bandwidth and have flat rates. Other than that you gotta pay to play, or host it on your own server.

techzentv
03-29-2013, 03:25 PM
I have looked at both Libsyn and Blubrry. One has a maximum plan of 1.5 GB per month and the other 1GB per month. For us that would not even last a week. I just had another dedicated server setup with 2 x 2TB (raid 1) and no bandwidth measurement. That is $75 a month.

andrewzarian
03-30-2013, 02:32 PM
the other option could be for you to host them on a server ( godaddy or someone else who has unlimited). I have asked them about hosting video and audio podcasts and they seem to be ok with it

techzentv
03-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Funny, godaddy is the one that is making me move them. I had an old server that I paid 3 years for that was just sitting there, that is why I put them there. They said it was in violation of the terms of service because I was using it as a file repository. Funny, isn't that what a web server does?

I have dedicated servers at 1and1 and rackspace. I just stood up another one. It is my disk space now and they do not monitor bandwidth, or they say they don't. I have other sites that are doing much more bandwidth and they have never said anything about them. Hopefully this works out better.

erictimmer
03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Time to get some boxes and go to a co-location center and do-it-yourself lol.